talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Kasper Schmeichel Moves to Nice

• Administrator

This will be an emotional departure if he goes. Rumour seems to be picking up pace, too.

He's been through it all with us - play-off heartbreak, promotion, survival, league win, Champions League moments, Vichai's death, FA Cup win.

A club legend for sure. 

I know he wouldn't finish his career with us as he's always hinted at wanting to go back to Denmark, but never thought Nice would be the next destination.

I get he can come across as a bit of a dick to non-LCFC fans, but no question he's one of the best GKs outside of the big 6 clubs. He's been an absolute rock for us for just over a decade. 

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
1 minute ago, The Palace Fan said:

I'm really surprised about this one. Even last season when you underperformed in the league he was one of the very few that escaped criticism. It feels like a shame he didn't get the big send off on the last home game of the season.

Think this is what's a real shame about it for me if it happens. There's no proper send off like there usually is.

There's a degree of inevitability about his departure but it's created a real unease for me. He's not without his faults as a goalkeeper but he is a massive character and one we will miss.

4 minutes ago, Stan said:

Apparently looking at Lafont or Leno as replacements. My pick by far would be Lafont. 

What is Danny Ward like these days? Mad that you paid £12m from us and he's not considered good enough to be the replacement.

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

What is Danny Ward like these days? Mad that you paid £12m from us and he's not considered good enough to be the replacement.

Useless xD

I don't really have confidence in him. Not that he has any or many howlers, just that he's average whenever he's been called upon. And we need better. 

Agree it was mad we paid that much for a back up. 

If anything Daniel Iversen is better and more likely to be the main backup to whoever we sign. Ward is injured at the moment but I guess Iversen will start for the opener. 

• Subscriber

Ward's just clearly a downgrade, albeit one where we don't have to pay anything and if we do go with Ward we will therefore be able to strengthen at last outfield. It's tougher when it's a goalkeeper though. You can compensate for outfielder losses easier than a goalkeeper.

I don't begrudge him the move. I don't think he was getting a Champions League side as hoped although I don't think it's implausible that Nice end up in it in 2023/24 - better chance than us anyway. They're in Europe, pay big money and it's a nice place. It's not a bad move for him.

Just think it's a real shame how it's likely to come about. It doesn't feel right.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Dan said:

Just think it's a real shame how it's likely to come about. It doesn't feel right.

It's the suddenness of it all. No real speculation all summer and then bam, 10 days before the season he's out pretty much. 

It's a massive cost off the wage bill but still not much time to get replacements in or squad improvements in. 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Stan said:

It's the suddenness of it all. No real speculation all summer and then bam, 10 days before the season he's out pretty much. 

It's a massive cost off the wage bill but still not much time to get replacements in or squad improvements in. 

There are whispers every summer but it usually comes to nothing. I can totally accept him going but just wish it had been handled slightly differently. Not necessarily by LCFC but it sounds like it's been in the pipeline a while.

I did think it was weird how little he was involved so far.

Ward's also not featured at all which is weird.

While he is a big earner we lose a key player, we won't get a big fee, and we're almost certainly going to have to pay a decent amount of whatever we save for somebody who is likely to be worse. A lot of our fans have gotten harsh on Schmeichel. He 100% has his faults but I really do believe the phrase be careful what you wish for on this occasion and I don't usually.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Dan said:

There are whispers every summer but it usually comes to nothing. I can totally accept him going but just wish it had been handled slightly differently. Not necessarily by LCFC but it sounds like it's been in the pipeline a while.

I did think it was weird how little he was involved so far.

Ward's also not featured at all which is weird.

While he is a big earner we lose a key player, we won't get a big fee, and we're almost certainly going to have to pay a decent amount of whatever we save for somebody who is likely to be worse. A lot of our fans have gotten harsh on Schmeichel. He 100% has his faults but I really do believe the phrase be careful what you wish for on this occasion and I don't usually.

It's his big personality and character we'll miss too. Not just his quality as a goalkeeper. Big shoes to fill. 

Ward has been injured hasn't he? 

I wonder if the extra week Kasper had off was to sort this move out... 

• Subscriber
50 minutes ago, Stan said:

It's his big personality and character we'll miss too. Not just his quality as a goalkeeper. Big shoes to fill. 

Ward has been injured hasn't he? 

I wonder if the extra week Kasper had off was to sort this move out... 

It's that probably even more so than his ability. He's past his best ability wise but he's still got a big game in him.

Just feels wrong to me. Even if the Sevilla friendly is the goodbye it still feels wrong. This should've been done in May with a clearly exceptional circumstance. 11 years he's been here and no proper goodbye.

I wonder if we'll play a testimonial against Nice next season or something.

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Sure I read somewhere we get 10% of the fee if its over £1m so I fully condone this sale.

I don't think there's a fee. He can leave for free to a foreign club as he's within the last year of his contract. 

Soz. 

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, Devil said:

That save in the FA Cup final, for me one of the best saves I've ever seen. 

As good as the goal we scored. 

• Subscriber

I always thought that one day he would end up at OT but that was a no-goer, shame really, following in the footsteps of his old man, the good thing about Kasper is he commands his own box and lets defenders know if they do wrong, just like his old man did.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, CaaC (John) said:

the good thing about Kasper is he commands his own box and lets defenders know if they do wrong, just like his old man did.

Commanding his own box verbally, yes. Physically, no. He's part of the set-piece problem we've had as much as the defenders are responsible.

• Subscriber

He's definitely got his weaknesses. Capable of the absolutely sublime though and he's done that in massive games too.

He was more suited to our game when we played on the counter I think. His distribution was an asset. It's a weakness in a side that plays out.

• The title was changed to Kasper Schmeichel Moves to Nice

Archived