talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Wesley Fofana Signs for Chelsea

• Subscriber
9 hours ago, OrangeKhrush said:

clubs must not buy any of Leicester's players.  let Tielemans leave on a free and Maddison will be in the same situation next season.    

I hope we don't loan them debravka either, why help them improve.

Oh no, how will we possibly cope

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Stan said:

It's our wages. We're at 105% of our turnover spent on wages. It needs to be 90% by next season. 

We have the money in terms of transfer fees. But not wages. Hence needing to get rid of a few players first (hopefully deadwood) before our big assets. Kasper leaving has helped somewhat. Fulham had bid for Vestergaard which will help too if he moves. Tielemans may well leave. 

Is there any list of the current wages for Leicester, i know none of them online are accurate 100% but should be approximately close to the official wage.

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, True Blue said:

Is there any list of the current wages for Leicester, i know none of them online are accurate 100% but should be approximately close to the official wage.

No idea mate, there's probably one site that's close to the truth but can't remember the name. 

5 minutes ago, True Blue said:

It's percentage of revenue that gets you in trouble.  For years United even with the wages they pay were under 50%. I think last year it was over 60% , but we have taken a lot of wages off the books , so we should be less this year. Leciester % is way above United's  so that's were the problem is.

14 hours ago, True Blue said:

It's harder with Leicester to work out wages. They pay their players in kilograms of Walkers crisps. Walkers have put their prices up 10% in this current cost of living crisis and now Leicester have to cut their wage bill to cope. I'm not sure what Fofana was on but given his age I image Monster Munch or Wotsits.

14 hours ago, True Blue said:

I use Spotrac for MLB and i think it is very accurate for soccer/football as well.

https://www.spotrac.com/epl/

Interesting read,  we have one of the lowest payrolls despite adding Trippier and Guimaraes.

2022 - we have 61m committed to 30 players

2023 - that drops to 56m committed to 26 players

2024- it craters to 25m committed to 14 players.

2024 free agents include:

Wood, Wilson, Almiron, Hendrick, Fernandez, Lascelles, Burn, Krafth, Trippier, Elliot Anderson.

Elliot Anderson will sign a new deal and Krafth will still be under 30 and may either be replaced or sign again.   The rest will all be 30 or into their 30's. 

Leicester have a much bigger problem coming.

22 - 66m committed to 26 players

23 - 44m committed to 17 players

24 - 19m committed to 9 players

While their payroll is dropping they are also losing players and need to replace them.  In the current market that is expensive to do.   The future gold value is home grown players,  the teams that jump onto player development early will have leverage on the league as the transfer market will eventually just get hyper inflated to the point that nobody buys. 

Leicester do have a decent academy which may be what they are banking on long term.    Next season without extensions,  leicester will need to fill 8 roster spots which is not easy to do. 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, OrangeKhrush said:

Leicester have a much bigger problem coming.

22 - 66m committed to 26 players

23 - 44m committed to 17 players

24 - 19m committed to 9 players

While their payroll is dropping they are also losing players and need to replace them.  In the current market that is expensive to do.   The future gold value is home grown players,  the teams that jump onto player development early will have leverage on the league as the transfer market will eventually just get hyper inflated to the point that nobody buys. 

Leicester do have a decent academy which may be what they are banking on long term.    Next season without extensions,  leicester will need to fill 8 roster spots which is not easy to do. 

That's what I've been trying to say to you. Our problem is wages - not that we don't have money. 

In current market it is expensive to do, you're right. But we have a good record of finding talent across Europe and picking them up for decent prices. Daka, Kante, Mahrez, Fofana are good examples. It surprises me several other clubs don't do that when money is an issue and prefer to gamble huge prices on players who become flops as opposed to finding better value in younger talent. Obviously it doesn't go right all the time but at a lower cost its lower risk. 

Academy is good - we're likely to see Braybrooke, Alves, Brunt, Nelson, Wright all start to make appearances if they stay with us in the next 2-3 seasons I think. 

Our strategy has pretty much been sell one big asset for huge profit (Maguire, Chilwell, Drinkwater, Mahrez) and re-invest that across the squad. The same will happen whenever Fofana, Maddison, Tielemans depart... 

16 minutes ago, Stan said:

That's what I've been trying to say to you. Our problem is wages - not that we don't have money. 

In current market it is expensive to do, you're right. But we have a good record of finding talent across Europe and picking them up for decent prices. Daka, Kante, Mahrez, Fofana are good examples. It surprises me several other clubs don't do that when money is an issue and prefer to gamble huge prices on players who become flops as opposed to finding better value in younger talent. Obviously it doesn't go right all the time but at a lower cost its lower risk. 

Academy is good - we're likely to see Braybrooke, Alves, Brunt, Nelson, Wright all start to make appearances if they stay with us in the next 2-3 seasons I think. 

Our strategy has pretty much been sell one big asset for huge profit (Maguire, Chilwell, Drinkwater, Mahrez) and re-invest that across the squad. The same will happen whenever Fofana, Maddison, Tielemans depart... 

I really liked the look of Dewsbury-Hall towards the end of last season, low centre of gravity, technically so good.

• Subscriber

How many quality defenders and centre backs in particular do France have? Majority all young, their talent is endless.

Kounde

Upamecano

Hernandez brothers

Fofana

Pavard

Kimpembe

Mukiele

Konate

Saliba

Kalulu

Normand

Kamara

etc etc 

Leicester could probably buy any young French CB for half the price.  

On 07/08/2022 at 07:37, JoshBRFC said:

How many quality defenders and centre backs in particular do France have? Majority all young, their talent is endless.

Kounde

Upamecano

Hernandez brothers

Fofana

Pavard

Kimpembe

Mukiele

Konate

Saliba

Kalulu

Normand

Kamara

etc etc 

You better not let Todd Boehly see that list, Chelsea will end up bidding for the 3 or 4 on that list they haven't alresdy bid for.

On 07/08/2022 at 12:37, JoshBRFC said:

Kounde

Upamecano

Hernandez brothers

Fofana

Pavard

Kimpembe

Mukiele

Konate

Saliba

Kalulu

Normand

Kamara

etc etc 

02EE6C9D-1AA2-492C-92C5-A515EFA6442A.jpeg

• Subscriber
On 07/08/2022 at 10:45, Danny said:

I really liked the look of Dewsbury-Hall towards the end of last season, low centre of gravity, technically so good.

Dewsbury-Hall is a genuinely really good player. Noticed you actually put this before the game against us as well - he's an excellent runner but he's got quality to back it up as well. His only catch I'd say is he could probably take better care of the ball every now and then but that feels like a symptom of his all action style and it's one I'm willing to grin and bare as he makes up for it elsewhere. Just a really good player and a future captain I'd say. He's the best thing to happen to us in the last year.

• Subscriber

As for Fofana I do feel this is going to happen. Apparently straight down the tunnel at full time yesterday. His head's been turned I think. Can see them giving us mad money. If he wants out then we're just going to have to do it, I'd sooner that and actually get some moves going this summer than having him cryarsing for months before we just sell him anyway. Then again we're in a terrible position to buy, everyone knows we're desperate.

I'd kill for something positive to happen. For a good year now I've felt like we're on a gradual descent. This summer couldn't have gone much worse.

• Subscriber

Get the feeling we're gonna resist a bit better now. The fact we're starting to get a couple of the door means we're less pressurised to cash in on him due to necessity. We might be able to get another year out of him.

• Administrator
11 hours ago, Redcanuck said:

Any update on this?   Seems his move to Chelsea has gone cold.

Chelsea need to up their bid to the asking price. They've only offered up to £60m apparently. 

4 hours ago, Stan said:

Chelsea need to up their bid to the asking price. They've only offered up to £60m apparently. 

Intermediaries now involved. I think on our end we are trying to set a valuation + adding a bonus structure which in total meets Leicester's valuation. 

• The title was changed to Wesley Fofana Signs for Chelsea

Archived