talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool 3-1 Man City - Saturday 30th July, 2022 (Community Shield)

football forum

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I don’t understand why City sold Jesus and Sterling over Mahrez. I also don’t really understand why they signed Grealish when Foden is simply the much better player of the two.

That Barcelona feeling.

2 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I don’t understand why City sold Jesus and Sterling over Mahrez. I also don’t really understand why they signed Grealish when Foden is simply the much better player of the two.

I couldn't believe we bought Greelish and especially for £100million 😂 it's a very United type signing, make or break season for him. Foden and Alvarez for me, they bring so much energy to the team and might actually get the ball to Haaland instead of looking for back pass 🙈

4 hours ago, Happy Blue said:

I couldn't believe we bought Greelish and especially for £100million 😂 it's a very United type signing, make or break season for him. Foden and Alvarez for me, they bring so much energy to the team and might actually get the ball to Haaland instead of looking for back pass 🙈

Don’t get me wrong, I think Grealish is a good player. It’s just that now we’ve seen him at City, and granted it’s only been a season, I just don’t know if he’s a good Pep player.

He’s still got plenty of time to look like a £100m player… but the quality between him and Foden is night and day.

Also imo, it looked like your midfield was just not used to playing with an out and out striker. And Haaland only had what a half of pre-season before the match, him being the focal point for you is a big change from how you played last season. You can tell with his movement once things click he’s going to be scoring a lot. Thought KDB was unusually bad today(or yesterday depending on when you read this), but also I think our midfield was really good on the day.

Also imo Jesus and Sterling are very good players and I think it makes the transition a bit harder losing both of them while changing the attack so much.

8 hours ago, Rick said:

Happy for Nunez to get that goal. Course it’s a glorified friendly but you always wanna see your team lift the plate 😂 good performance all round, looking sharp. 

You can have a parade later when you have sealed the Community shield, Carling cup and Conference league triple!

You can even parade it with last years trophies too. 

5 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

You can have a parade later when you have sealed the Community shield, Carling cup and Conference league triple!

You can even parade it with last years trophies too. 

I’ll get you a ticket. 

I watched a 4 minute highlight so take this with a pinch of salt but Haaland looked like he's still working out his positioning in this team.

@Dr. Gonzo City under Pep are fairly renowned for players taking time to settle in i.e. Gundogan and Rodri...it took Aguero a while to understand how Pep wanted him to press. I think it's fair to give Grealish this season in that respect, still essentially in pre-season so expecting anyone to be at top form is unrealistic

Liverpool look ready to challenge for the league City don't.

Pundits say City often start slowly not sure on that though they did last season.

City for me will be under pressure to make it work with Haaland.

Gundogan was interviewed before the match and said they didn't need Haaland yet VVD was always a problem for them and it would be nice if Haaland was able to deal with the physical aspect. We didn't get to see it as City's set pieces got nowhere near him though he did flatten Robertson on one occasion.

Earlier the comparison was made with Aguero and I agree Aguero did not settle straight away and when he did was top drawer yet has was older and had already played 5 seasons in La Liga.

Hope it happens for Haaland. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived