talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Commonwealth Games 2022

football forum

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm from just outside Birmingham itself, and as hinted at by Dudley's Lenny Henry, it is in all but name actually the West Midlands Commonwealth Games. Most places between Wolverhampton to Birmingham are involved. The swimming is at Sandwell Aquatics Centre. Sandwell being a council region covering much of the area between Birmingham & Wolverhampton. (e.g. West Brom, Dudley) And often is the area people live & then commute into Birmingham or Wolverhampton.

For anyone not totally familar with the area, Birmingham is Birmingham, the Brummies. And on toward & just beyond Wolverhampton is the Black Country, due it's mining history.

Many of my local streets will be closed for the day for a cycling event. So I'm assuming it will be possible to see Mark Cavendish in person, in competition.

A possibly interesting explanation of the 'second city' term. Especially for those who may look around these days & think, surely Manchester is next in line if London was ever nuked. Many, many, many years ago, Birmingham was actually the capital city. When that title moved to London, that is when the '2nd city' phrase first started up.

Been some great moments so far. Some of my favourites:

Eilish McColgan winning the 10,000m for Scotland.

The England men's swimming medley relay team just beating the mighty Australians.

The Triathlon relay win for England.

& Today is when local streets of mine are closed for the Time Trial road cycling. Will be a personal highlight for me, regardless of who wins or what happens.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Reluctant Striker said:

The England men's swimming medley relay team just beating the mighty Australians.

That was very thrilling and emphatic. Especially when the Aussie closed the gap down from between half a second and a second. Very close in the end!

Well, the Time Trial was a bit of a let down. Due to the 1 by 1 style of it, the TV people ended up skipping the rather picturesque area in the middle. Showing all the starts, check points & endings.

That course, or something near, would have been a better choice for the marathon, than what construction area Birmingham had to show. Would have been great to see the whole Time Trial route with Steve Cram's commentary on the interesting bits. The bits that were largely ignored & unseen on the TV.

Mark Cavendish is actually in the road race in Warwick at the weekend. So I saw false advertising somewhere.

But, hey, Commonwealth Games, on some of my streets! Never, ever thought that would be happening! Not sure the TV does the cyclists justice. They don't half move!

4 hours ago, Toinho said:

Usually check this out, but have been so busy. Obviously it's usually us smashing everyone.

It’s really an excuse for the English to flex on everyone but that never happens.

1 hour ago, Spike said:

It’s really an excuse for the English to flex on everyone but that never happens.

By the look of the medal count I would you should say Australia.

Though not all the world's best it is also nice to see an unknown African win the 100m gold perhaps for the only time in his life at 10.02.

Archived