talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

James Maddison - Spurs Complete Deal

He'd be a good signing. I think he upped his game another level last season. It would be tragic for Leicester to lose a player if hie influence now though.

Given Newcastle need a new right sided midfielder I'm quite surprised they haven't just activated Michael Olise's release clause. He'd be open to it, he'd grow with the club and it saves them paying a lot more in two years time.

• Upvote 1

We seem to have spent the whole summer being quoted ridiculous prices but as the season comes closer a bit of panic could set in and I’m hoping we’ll end up with a forward player over the next week.

Be buzzing with Maddison tbf, think he’d fit in nicely.

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, Rick said:

If Leicester lose Kasper, Fofana, Tielemans and Maddison in one window that would be shocking. 

Can't see it happening. 

Newcastle would have to stump up far more than £40m to prise him away. 

• Subscriber

This is no disrespect to Newcastle because I think they've been very smart in how they've gone about it so far (albeit I did think they'd do a little more this summer) but I think at his age he'd want a guaranteed step up. Are Newcastle going to finish above Leicester this year? And if they do, is it even going to be substantial? I could respect him moving to probably even Arsenal / Spurs at this point but Newcastle. Nah. Maybe if he was a little younger but I'd want some sort of assurance and Newcastle's squad for me is still behind ours.

What's all this about Leicester needing to sell a big player for financial reasons or fair play reasons?

True or shite? 

I don't really follow football much anymore. The ticket fiasco this summer has left me beaten and football gives me anxiety when I think about it as it reminds me of the loss of something sentimental, the new owners have caused this loss and pissed on us Ashley protesters, sort of mourning to be honest. Don't feel much for the club anymore. Once the season starts that might help me move on a bit.

5 minutes ago, Honey Honey said:

What's all this about Leicester needing to sell a big player for financial reasons or fair play reasons?

True or shite? 

I don't really follow football much anymore. The ticket fiasco this summer has left me beaten and football gives me anxiety when I think about it as it reminds me of the loss of something sentimental, the new owners have caused this loss and pissed on us Ashley protesters, sort of mourning to be honest. Don't feel much for the club anymore. Once the season starts that might help me move on a bit.

What's that about?

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Honey Honey said:

True or shite? 

Its related to our turnover-wage ratio. Our wage bill is astronomical and if we are to quality for Europe again there may be FFP implications because of those wages. 

So bit of both. I don't think we need to sell a big player as such, more that we just need to get some players off the books that are on stupidly high wages - Vestergaard, Bertrand, Amartey, Choudhury... 

I'm still resigned to Tielemans leaving at some point. Soyuncu is probably the 'biggest' asset I wouldn't mind selling. But not if Fofana goes. 

• Subscriber

Our error in hindsight was not selling anybody big last summer. It was the first since 2016 that we didn't. Became our highest net spend I think ever and we really didn't get anything for it either.

It's a joke of a situation. A bit embarrassing to be honest. No premier League club should end up in this position. 

7 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

He'd be a good signing. I think he upped his game another level last season. It would be tragic for Leicester to lose a player if hie influence now though.

Given Newcastle need a new right sided midfielder I'm quite surprised they haven't just activated Michael Olise's release clause. He'd be open to it, he'd grow with the club and it saves them paying a lot more in two years time.

I wanted olise

2 hours ago, Stan said:

They've apparently wanted to pay us in instalments. 

that's how all deals are done.   every club is doing instalments to stretch FFP.  Clubs that demand all upfront will a) not sell and b) get treated the same by clubs that they want a replacement from.   word travels fast as to who does what.

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, OrangeKhrush said:

Leverkusen want 60m for Diaby, a far better player, I think 40-50m is rather fair.

Probably other factors to take in than just a comparison like that. 

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, OrangeKhrush said:

such as?

Contract length and the club's value of a player (yes, we know you think there should be independent arbitration of that, but there isn't...).

If the buying club can't match the value of the selling club, then they can do one. If we think that we would want more for Maddison than £40m, we are entirely within our rights to do so... 

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Stan said:

Contract length and the club's value of a player (yes, we know you think there should be independent arbitration of that, but there isn't...).

If the buying club can't match the value of the selling club, then they can do one. If we think that we would want more for Maddison than £40m, we are entirely within our rights to do so... 

Diaby - 2025, Maddison - 2024

Diaby 23, Maddison -25

Diaby - 48k pw , Maddison 110k pw

• The title was changed to James Maddison - Spurs Complete Deal
  • The title was changed to James Maddison - Spurs Agree Personal Terms