talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

James Maddison - Spurs Complete Deal

25 minutes ago, Stan said:

Have you spoken to him? 

No, it’s in the Telegraph article that reported it, hence the ‘apparently’.

If I’d have spoken to him I would have known for definite wouldn’t I?

• Administrator
44 minutes ago, N U F C said:

No, it’s in the Telegraph article that reported it, hence the ‘apparently’.

If I’d have spoken to him I would have known for definite wouldn’t I?

Any actual quotes from Maddison? 

Basically don't believe everything you read, especially during a transfer window :D

1 hour ago, Stan said:

Any actual quotes from Maddison? 

Basically don't believe everything you read, especially during a transfer window :D

I know that better than most as a Newcastle fan after all our fake takeovers the last 15 years!

• Subscriber

I'd be really quite disappointed if he fancied this to be honest. That'd be a real hammer blow to us.

This is genuinely the most depressing summer in years. I know we're in a dodgy position but it's almost surreal, we're trapped and there's barely a single bit of thing to excite you.

I get why Youri Tielemans wouldn't jump to Newcastle. If he gives it a year he could have his selection of a lot of top Champions League clubs.

As for Maddison, he wouldn't immediately start for somebody like Spurs who are the fourth place club so the project to build Newcastle could be appealing if Leicester accept the bid.

It really feels like a huge moment for Leicester. There owner has already proven himself as far as I'm concerned so I wouldn't be worried if I was a fan. They looked a lot less hopeless under Puel.

• Subscriber

I still think Maddison can do better. If Newcastle had finished in the top 6 I'd probably say fair enough but Newcastle's odds on a European finish really can't be that different to ours, and I know they're loaded but we do pay Maddison well - they're going to have to really put some money down for him.

Our owners are fine and I've no concerns about them keeping us ticking over but I can't escape the idea that we are probably going to have to find some further investment soon. It's noble how we've done it but there's only so long we can sustain this I think - unless we start churning out real value for our money again. 

The thing with Maddison is that if he goes to Newcastle he will have to accept it will be difficult to get a move to a bigger side after that, so if he wants Newcastle he'll need to be willing to be there for the next 5+ years

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Danny said:

The thing with Maddison is that if he goes to Newcastle he will have to accept it will be difficult to get a move to a bigger side after that, so if he wants Newcastle he'll need to be willing to be there for the next 5+ years

not like being in Newcastle for 4-5 years is a bad thing

2 minutes ago, OrangeKhrush said:

Sounds like fucking hell TBH. 

Imagine being a top class footballer, can play in any city in the world, and you choose Newcastle. 
The premier league already needs to pay players double what other leagues do to convince them to play on that rainy little shithole island, then you've gotta double down and live in the wettest part where the people don't speak the language and the average room temperature is 18 degrees, which is double the average IQ. A place where sauce on a schnitzel is considered a delicacy and fucking someone you're not distantly related to is taboo.  

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Sounds like fucking hell TBH. 

Imagine being a top class footballer, can play in any city in the world, and you choose Newcastle. 
The premier league already needs to pay players double what other leagues do to convince them to play on that rainy little shithole island, then you've gotta double down and live in the wettest part where the people don't speak the language and the average room temperature is 18 degrees, which is double the average IQ. A place where sauce on a schnitzel is considered a delicacy and fucking someone you're not distantly related to is taboo.  

are you sure you are not referancing Wales or Australia.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, OrangeKhrush said:

It depends what you realistically think you'll achieve in that time. I'd want assurances of Champions League football and a trophy - and that's just to better what he's had at Leicester.

I'd understand if he was a bit younger. Money talks though. We pay him well but you could pay him more.

1 minute ago, Dan said:

It depends what you realistically think you'll achieve in that time. I'd want assurances of Champions League football and a trophy - and that's just to better what he's had at Leicester.

I'd understand if he was a bit younger. Money talks though. We pay him well but you could pay him more.

That last bit is the key thing really, it could come down to money and we could pay more, especially which whatever financial problems you’re having.

Seems likely you’ll have to sell someone this window or is that not the case?

• Administrator
20 minutes ago, N U F C said:

We do. Doesn't necessarily have to be one of the big assets though.

• Subscriber
8 hours ago, N U F C said:

That last bit is the key thing really, it could come down to money and we could pay more, especially which whatever financial problems you’re having.

Somebody will go but the plan I think was to shift the deadwood, and we've got enough of it - the problem is we've done absolutely nothing and I can now see us probably selling somebody big.

We've got money but our wage bill is unsustainable. It's placed us into this paralysis this window.

It's why the Schmeichel point is a blow, because he's a key player that we won't even get a decent fee for.

• Administrator

Newcastle still want to 'structure' a deal worth £35m, but definitely won't go up to £60m which we value him at (I still think that's too low). 

That's the end of that then. 

Read on The Athletic that Newcastle haven’t been able to put through the appropriate sponsorship deals to fund the team yet ala Man City so they have taken out a loan against their season earnings to get cash up front.

Have 150-200ish but don’t want to spend it all in one go

• Administrator
18 minutes ago, N U F C said:

Sky saying we’ve gone in with a bid in the region of £50 million but I think it’ll be paid in instalments which means they’ll probably reject again.

Also far below what you should be paying for us to consider it. 

When you consider Grealish went for £100m, and for what return, then see what Maddison was producing last season, its madness. 

Schmeichel going leaves us room to give Maddison a new contract (which was being talked about regardless). I hope he stays. He's integral to our play. Can't lose him. 

19 minutes ago, Stan said:

Also far below what you should be paying for us to consider it. 

When you consider Grealish went for £100m, and for what return, then see what Maddison was producing last season, its madness. 

Schmeichel going leaves us room to give Maddison a new contract (which was being talked about regardless). I hope he stays. He's integral to our play. Can't lose him. 

We aren’t going to pay the type of money City have done, not yet anyway.

So it’ll end up being take it or leave it and the only way you’re going to sell is if a) you need to or b) he wants to leave.

I don’t think he will join us, not in this window anyway.

• Administrator
33 minutes ago, N U F C said:

We aren’t going to pay the type of money City have done, not yet anyway.

So it’ll end up being take it or leave it and the only way you’re going to sell is if a) you need to or b) he wants to leave.

I don’t think he will join us, not in this window anyway.

I think he's destined for a bigger club eventually. No disrespect. 

We'll leave it, thanks :P

• The title was changed to James Maddison - Spurs Complete Deal
  • The title was changed to James Maddison - Spurs Agree Personal Terms