The better place to talk football.

3rd Place Play-off - Portugal (aet)2-1 Mexico

football forum

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
9 minutes ago, Machado said:

VR is a farce. I'm not sure if that was a penalty at the end but they had to at least have a look at the replay, which the ref chose not to.

I wonder if the ref would have been forced to give it had he seen the replay. Its clear that the hand is on the back and pushing as well but he didn't and then the rest is history.

• The title was changed to 3rd Place Play-off - Portugal vs Mexico
  • The title was changed to 3rd Place Play-off - Portugal (aet)2-1 Mexico
2 hours ago, Machado said:

VR is a farce. I'm not sure if that was a penalty at the end but they had to at least have a look at the replay, which the ref chose not to.

Did they use it at all in the match? If not, seems odd that they set it up and not used it as it was the same story in the Germany and Chile matches.

Hopefully this means they're ready to pack it in and call it quits on the piece of shit.

Just saw the highlights. Not much to comment on the match itself. As I said before, Mexico has a bang average squad and while Osorio is doing a horrendous job, no manager could do better than Osorio did in this tournament, maybe they could have just made them look better. THAT SAID, I do think Mexico could have taken a better squad. There are some players in the Gold Cup squad that should've been included in the confed cup team. Orbelin Pineda, Rodolfo Pizarro and Edson Alvarez all deserved a spot here. I'll be laughing if Mexico win the Gold Cup, which I expect them to.

1 hour ago, The Käiser said:

Does VAR have to wait for the match official to request a review or can they review a play independently and inform the match official of their findings?

They can review the play all they want but only inform the referee if requested.

In this case a clear penalty (yet another one in this competition) was not given because the ref didn't care to ask for assistance. Arrogance (?)

• Administrator
Just now, Machado said:

They can review the play all they want but only inform the referee if requested.

In this case a clear penalty (yet another one in this competition) was not given because the ref didn't care to ask for assistance. Arrogance (?)

That's the referees fault (for not requesting assistance) as opposed to the way VAR works?

The concept of VAR is the right one. The execution is where it lets itself down. Maybe the rule needs to be changed that if there is a controversial decision, it's not the referee who decides, it's those who have the benefit of replays within a few seconds if the incident. That's how I thought it worked anyway - referee is informed that he might have missed something, not that referee requests help straight away. Maybe it differs for certain decisions. 

Archived