talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

F1 Silly Season 2022/23

football forum

Alpine scored some serious own goals this break.  If they were trying to hold back Alonso's performance so they could leverage a lower deal to retain him it hasn't worked well and now they need to maximise their points to try solidify 4th spot.   This may become problematic when Nando starts clawing back and possibly passes Ocon on points,  Esto may throw his toys out the pram. 

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, OrangeKhrush said:

Alpine scored some serious own goals this break.  If they were trying to hold back Alonso's performance so they could leverage a lower deal to retain him it hasn't worked well and now they need to maximise their points to try solidify 4th spot.   This may become problematic when Nando starts clawing back and possibly passes Ocon on points,  Esto may throw his toys out the pram. 

That's some serious tin foil hat logic. Why on earth would they hire Alonso to hold him back?

On 03/09/2022 at 00:01, Tommy said:

That's some serious tin foil hat logic. Why on earth would they hire Alonso to hold him back?

they signed him for two years but to reduce the costs on his salary and knowing that Alonso plans on staying until 2025 at least,  it would have meant that alpine would have had to pony up.   If they sabotage the performances with dubious strategies enough to hinder the performance,  they would have had leverage to negotiate with him.  

A one year deal does not show a lot of commitment or faith,  and I think Alonso was right to take it personally.   It is probably not about how much money,  but length of contract,   Alonso wants to stay racing,  and doing that under the cloud of a one year rolling deal is a slap in the face.   At 41 he still is better than a vast majority of the grid.  

According to Formelaustria.at, Nico Hülkenberg is the new favourite for the Haas seat next to Kevin Magnussen, as they are not convinced by Antonio Giovinazzi. A Mick extension seems to be out of the question. 

• Subscriber

Mick hasn't even been that awful. He hasn't been great either, but it smacks to me a bit of Guenther Steiner making his mind up early in the year and not being willing to change it. Giovinazzi's performances at Alfa Romeo were of a pretty similar standard to Mick this year and he's been poor in Formula E. Hulkenberg at his peak is the best of the three but the guy is 35 now and he hasn't done a full F1 season since 2019. Risky appointment.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Panflute said:

Is it known what Latifi's contract looks like? Does it expire at the end of the season, or will they have to buy him off?

I think Latifi is out of contract. Williams are clearly actively looking to replace him with Ricciardo, Schumacher, Sargent, De Vries all being mentioned in links to that seat alongside Albon.

I should think Mick is quite likely if the desire is there on both sides. Sergeant lacks experience, Ricciardo is probably way too expensive for them. De Vries has just done a good qualifying session for them though and might move into pole position for the seat if he impresses them over the rest of the weekend.

• Subscriber
18 minutes ago, Tommy said:

So Alpine do a shootout test in Hungary, involving Antonio Giovinazzi, Nyck de Vries, Jack Doohan and Colton Herta. 🤔

Hope Doohan gets it. Seriously, if he doesn't get it, I don't even know what the point of driver academies is.

1 hour ago, nudge said:

Hope Doohan gets it. Seriously, if he doesn't get it, I don't even know what the point of driver academies is.

I heard they apparently want to go with someone more experienced. But don't they already have a relatively experienced guy with Ocon?

No wonder they're all leaving their academy sooner or later. 😬

26 minutes ago, Panflute said:

Why is Giovinazzi suddenly back in the picture? Nothing against the guy, but I don't remember him leaving any sort of impression last season.

So we got more Jesus memes. 

Ez5AyzAWYAEY2PR.jpg

On 10/09/2022 at 14:49, Panflute said:

Is it known what Latifi's contract looks like? Does it expire at the end of the season, or will they have to buy him off?

Several A4 pieces of paper mate, white in colour. Rumoured to have a staple at the top left.

Wouldn't be surprised if it ended up being Hülkenberg. It would be an unspectacular choice but I don't know who pointed it out, but a team like Haas probably wants a decent driver to rely on over a young prospect that shows lots of promise but still performs inconsistently. Especially since that talent might be picked up by a bigger team as soon as he's showing consistent form.

Archived