talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Sandman (Netflix)

football forum

• Subscriber

B.png

Morpheus, the king of dreams, isn't really puppeteering our subconscious at night – so why do we dream?

In The Sandman, the long-awaited Netflix adaption of Neil Gaiman’s dark and cerebral comic book series, dreams and nightmares are the designs of Morpheus, the king of dreams, who rules over a realm that we spend a third of our lives in – the Dreaming. In reality, however, there is no clear explanation for why you wake up in the middle of night, drenched in sweat, after having to take yet another exam you’ve not studied for and – oh no! – where are your pants?! Instead, the nature and purposes of dreams are the topics of fierce debate.

FULL REPORT

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • The title was changed to The Sandman (Netflix)
  • Subscriber
2 hours ago, True Blue said:

Looks like anime or am i mistaken?

Not an anime, a live action TV series :)

Just watched the first episode, and while fantasy can be either hit or miss for me, I actually loved it!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Finished it today, just so incredibly good. I'd even dare to say it's probably one of the best new shows I've watched in the last couple of years. Really says a lot, considering my complicated relationship with fantasy genre xD

Episode 6, The Sound of Her Wings, is a masterpiece. Like, for real. The storyline(s), the acting, the dialogue, the emotions... Incredible.

Really hope we get a 2nd season. Neil Gaiman said that the show is extremely expensive to make, so even high viewership figures do not guarantee it will be renewed 😭

• 3 weeks later...

Just watched the first episode. And even though, it's not really my genre, I really enjoyed it, and got me intrigued for the rest of it. 

I just read up on how often they tried to make it into a movie, and it always failed. So this is quite an untertaking. You can tell the production, acting, visual effects etc are top-notch. 

Ok, finished the first Season now. Absolutely marvelous. I didn't think I was going to enjoy this, but I was intrigued by it from the beginning. Very different from what you usually see these days. 

The actor who plays Morpheus absolutely nailed the role though. What a great screen presence he had. I read on reddit that someone posted that in the comics, sometimes you see the Dream Lord a lot, and sometimes very little, but when he's there, HE IS there. And I think they nailed that with the actors presence. 

The finale was very different from the rest of the season, which confused me at first, but it turned out quite alright. But episodes 5 and 6 where my absolute favourites. 

• Subscriber
25 minutes ago, Tommy said:

The finale was very different from the rest of the season, which confused me at first, but it turned out quite alright.

Do you mean the animated cat stuff? It's not the finale, just the bonus episode! 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just finished this.

If I'm totally honest, I'm not 100% sure I could explain everything that happened, it was a little bit trippy in parts, however, in the main I did enjoy it. 

I never read the comics so no idea on the original story to compare but I liked John Dee's story and wanted to see more of that (I assume that was all that was left to tell on that front) and I liked how sinister The Corinthian was although it felt like it was too easy for him to be dispatched.

I also liked their depiction of Hell and meeting Lucifer, who is played really well by the woman who is Captain Phasma/Brienne in GOT (Always forget her real name)

Favourite episode would be either John Dee's in the Diner or meeting Death and seeing how she took various people's lives from old to young. In that particular episode, I really liked the story of the guy that said he didn't want to die and Dream kept visiting him every 100 years in different time periods. That was really cool and engrossing.

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Just finished this.

If I'm totally honest, I'm not 100% sure I could explain everything that happened, it was a little bit trippy in parts, however, in the main I did enjoy it. 

I never read the comics so no idea on the original story to compare but I liked John Dee's story and wanted to see more of that (I assume that was all that was left to tell on that front) and I liked how sinister The Corinthian was although it felt like it was too easy for him to be dispatched.

I also liked their depiction of Hell and meeting Lucifer, who is played really well by the woman who is Captain Phasma/Brienne in GOT (Always forget her real name)

Favourite episode would be either John Dee's in the Diner or meeting Death and seeing how she took various people's lives from old to young. In that particular episode, I really liked the story of the guy that said he didn't want to die and Dream kept visiting him every 100 years in different time periods. That was really cool and engrossing.

John Dee's character, background and overall story is changed pretty drastically in the series, and it's a massive, massive improvement. In the comics, he's actually Dr. Destiny's alter ego (there are plenty of other DC universe/Justice League elements in the first volumes of the comic, and I'm so glad they removed them completely for the Netflix series - well except Constantine), so just a power hungry madman who escaped from the Arkham Asylum. Removing those clunky DC connections and making him a much more humane and complex character instead as well as linking him to Roderick Burgess worked out really great in the series, imo. 

Archived