talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Greatest Defensive Midfielder Of All Time

football forum

Greatest Defensive Midfielder of all Time?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Who for you is the greatest defensive midfielder of all time?

• Xabi Alonso (Spain)
    • Osvaldo Ardiles (Argentina)
    • Sergio Busquets (Spain)
    • Edgar Davids (Netherlands)
    • Didier Deschamps (France)
    • Dunga (Brazil)
    • Falcão (Brazil)
    • Gennaro Gattuso (Italy)
    • Pep Guardiola (Spain)
    • N’Golo Kanté (France)
    • Roy Keane (Republic of Ireland)
    • Lothar Matthaüs (Germany)
    • Claude Mekélélé (France)
    • Johan Neeskens (Netherlands)
    • Andrea Pirlo (Italy)
    • Frank Rijkaard (Netherlands)
    • Fernando Redondo (Argentina)
    • Bryan Robson (England)
    • Diego Simeone (Argentina)
    • Graeme Souness (Scotland)
    • Uli Stielike (Germany)
    • Marco Tardelli (Italy)
    • Jean Tigana (France)
    • Obdulio Varela (Uruguay)
    • Patrick Vieira (France)

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Danny said:

@Spike

I read through the article @Spike and tbh this is classic the athletic bullshit. I like a lot of their stuff but sometimes they churn out shit for shitsake. Nearly every "new position" can be named and is generally referred to anyway by an existing position

4 hours ago, Danny said:

I read through the article @Spike and tbh this is classic the athletic bullshit. I like a lot of their stuff but sometimes they churn out shit for shitsake. Nearly every "new position" can be named and is generally referred to anyway by an existing position

Yeah I was a little sceptical of The Athletic. Buzzfeed of sports.

13 minutes ago, Spike said:

Yeah I was a little sceptical of The Athletic. Buzzfeed of sports.

Their club specific stuff is good but they threw out an article on managers clothing styles and it was just a wtf am I paying for moment 

1 minute ago, Danny said:

Their club specific stuff is good but they threw out an article on managers clothing styles and it was just a wtf am I paying for moment 

Don't know what their articles are like but the podcast is very good in my opinion. When it comes to articles, most journalists just have to meet requirements a lot of the time.

10 minutes ago, 6666 said:

Don't know what their articles are like but the podcast is very good in my opinion. When it comes to articles, most journalists just have to meet requirements a lot of the time.

Yeah not slating the journalists because the in depth stuff is good and I agree the podcasts are good. But they also generate pointless articles like renaming positions that already have names that essentially describe what they’re saying anyway

Matthaus won the Balón d'or and was a key man in various Champions League wins, a world cup and Euros. As far as German legends are concerned, he's one of the first who come to mind along with Beckenbauer overall. He also featured that Balon d'or team of alltime recently, which I believe speaks volumes.

I suppose you would have to say it was him.

I have gone for Busquets as I watched his whole career and I'm biased, but Matthäus should probably be leading the poll.

Like @Fusion, I was always a big fan of Redondo myself, class player.

Vieira was a monster.

Makelele was legendary and even had a role named after him.

Rijkaard a beast.

Diego Simeone was a warrior who played with his heart in every game.

It's actually very tough as these players played the game differently and it would depend on the formation and style of football, it would be difficult to choose one.

• Subscriber

Roy Keane for me, I wish we had him playing nowadays, a great DMF and would control the game and kick arses when needed, not like the fucking toss pot of a captain we have nowadays, he couldn't scare a fly off a bald man's head.

• Subscriber

By all means debate and discuss who was better and why but my god it sends me to sleep when people start over thinking and over analysing the finer details of a position someone played when discussing the greatest in a position, to try and justify their point. 

Shutup ya wet lettuce and vote ffs

Integral part of the best club side of all time - Busquets. 

• Subscriber
On 14/08/2022 at 13:08, CaaC (John) said:

Roy Keane for me, I wish we had him playing nowadays, a great DMF and would control the game and kick arses when needed, not like the fucking toss pot of a captain we have nowadays, he couldn't scare a fly off a bald man's head.

Archived