talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Premier League 2022/23 - Sack Race

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lage or Gerrard. 

I don’t rate Villa’s transfer policy, seems like a squad of quite talented individuals rather than an actual identity/ plan. And Lage because his players are getting sold under him and the replacements aren’t up to it. 

• Subscriber

Agree with both Lage and Gerrard shouts. Was reading a Villa forum yesterday (what a life eh!) that somebody linked and I'd say the majority of their fans want him out.

• The title was changed to Premier League 2022/23 - Sack Race
  • The topic was pinned

Could be Gerrard, if Villa don't beat Everton or Palace in their next two games., they might still be looking for their first win when they host Southampton in mid  September.   Of course Hassenhutti could be in the same boat by the time Southampton go to Villa.  

• Subscriber

Yeah people overrate the chances of Lampard getting sacked early on. I get the angle that Everton have changed a lot of managers but that's exactly why he'd probably have to be on about 4 points after 10 games or something truly horrific before they pull the plug.

Everton can't afford to sack another manager unless it's absolutely necessary for a number of reasons. Finances are in there, another compensation package not just for him but all of his coaching team is something we can't afford. The other thing is that the recruitment of some of our other managers has been done in an unprofessional and disrespectful manner with managers being told they've got the job and then seeing in the news that someone else has been appointed. This even happened with Lampard in January when he and Vitor Pereira were both told at different times that they had the job before the board called the weird "final round of interviews" down in London that they had to go through again. Lampard hung in there because it was his one realistic chance of becoming a Premier League manager again but it wasted a week of the transfer window on top of everything else. We've alienated a lot of managers by the way Moshiri does business and word gets around. If we did sack him, we'd be fishing in an even smaller pool than a club in our circumstances usually would be. Gone now are the days where we can go to a Carlo Ancelotti and say look, we're still kinda close to being in Europe if you can apply a few touches of magic and we'll pay you 50% more than your wildest dreams to come and try to do that for us. We're further away than we have been in years and it remains complicated for us to invest in players et al because of FFP.

That said, the more silly it would be to sack Lampard, the more likely Moshiri probably is to do it because he's evidently a total lunatic.

Lage and Rogers as the clubs are trying to cut expenses against their will leaving them in a situation where they are not being backed.   This normally ends up in sackings unless your club is run by Mike Ashley and he only appoints yes men.

Ten Haag to walk out on man united as a cheeky call. 

Gerrard may come under pressure if Villa continue to be Villa,  being highly inconsistent. 

• Administrator
2 hours ago, OrangeKhrush said:

Lage and Rogers as the clubs are trying to cut expenses against their will leaving them in a situation where they are not being backed.   This normally ends up in sackings unless your club is run by Mike Ashley and he only appoints yes men.

Ten Haag to walk out on man united as a cheeky call. 

Gerrard may come under pressure if Villa continue to be Villa,  being highly inconsistent. 

Lage/Wolves are about to spend £30-40m on Matheus Nunes from Sporting Lisbon. And have also just spent £30m (approx) on Goncalo Guedes. A signing I'm very jealous of. They also bought Nathan Collins from Burnley for about £20m. So not sure they're trying to cut expenses and Lage can't say he's not been backed!

So if he was to get sacked I think it'll be results/performance-based.

Rodgers or Hassenhuttl will be my guess. 

5 minutes ago, Stan said:

Lage/Wolves are about to spend £30-40m on Matheus Nunes from Sporting Lisbon. And have also just spent £30m (approx) on Goncalo Guedes. A signing I'm very jealous of. They also bought Nathan Collins from Burnley for about £20m. So not sure they're trying to cut expenses and Lage can't say he's not been backed!

So if he was to get sacked I think it'll be results/performance-based.

Rodgers or Hassenhuttl will be my guess. 

it will be harsh on Rogers but I think it's fair to say the situation is not ideal.  I agree that a bad result this week may cause that to tip over.

if hassenhuttle was going to get sacked it was in June as Soton had the 4th worst record over their final 20 games

• Subscriber

Rodgers just has to be the first. The cost of the contract is the only reason he's still here. We're in freefall under him and paying him off needs to be viewed as an investment, and one we should learn from before handing out stupid contracts again.

I don't think anybody could've possibly seen how wrong this was going to go. Make no mistake, we can get relegated.

• Subscriber

I think Gerrard will regret leaving Glasgow Rangers when he did, he would have been better staying at Rangers and getting more experienced in winning things which he could have done easy but he jumped ship and headed off to Villa thinking he would be the shining knight in armour and now its gone all ape shit for him. :coffee:

I've got a feeling the 10th September could be a very defining day, the day we see the first one go.

Leicester City v Aston Villa.

Rodgers has Man Utd (H) and Brighton (A) next before that game. I wouldn't back a win from those, possibly a draw and defeat.

Gerrard has Arsenal (A) and Man City (H). Might struggle to get a point at all.

Both then have great runs to get points after that Leicester Villa game, and that would be where you want the new manager bounce.

Let's see if that pans out.

• Administrator
33 minutes ago, Lucas said:

I've got a feeling the 10th September could be a very defining day, the day we see the first one go.

Leicester City v Aston Villa.

Rodgers has Man Utd (H) and Brighton (A) next before that game. I wouldn't back a win from those, possibly a draw and defeat.

Gerrard has Arsenal (A) and Man City (H). Might struggle to get a point at all.

Both then have great runs to get points after that Leicester Villa game, and that would be where you want the new manager bounce.

Let's see if that pans out.

Hope Rodgers isn't in charge by that game.

As for 'great runs', not so sure about that considering only Bournemouth compete to be as shit as us right now. Forest, Bournemouth, Palace, Leeds.

Genuinely, if Rodgers is still here somehow, I'd only see us getting a point out of those 4. That's how dreadful things are these days. And that's quite some fall from where have been only very recently.

I'd like to think Rodgers doesn't even get the Man Utd game but I doubt that'll happen.

Great players rarely make great managers. Men like Pep are the exception. Bobby Charlton, Glen Hoddle, Gerrard, Lampard, Zola, ALL great players along with the likes of Keegan but, bang average or less managers. Wayne Rooney? Another clear example. Clubs ought to be more careful from which source they choose their coaches.

In England now we have nobody anywhere near Brian Cough or Don Revie, Bill Nicholson or Sir Alf and I fear a lot of future coaches will come from overseas. But, Gerrard will soon be for the chop and if West Ham lose to Spurs on Wednesday he'll be off soon too.

Talking of Moyes, where have the great Scottish managers gone? Shankly, Docherty, Ferguson, Jock Stein. Graham. Replaced by Strachan and Moyes etc. For me, any coach who fails in England, do a Nuno and go abroad, they'll get on better.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived