talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

All hype no substance

football forum

A bit ago I was looking at the Conor Coady thread and a player I hadn’t thought about in a decade floated into my head, I couldn’t quite remember his name so googled ‘chelsea academy connor’. He came up as the first result and I closed the tab. That got me thinking of players  that were all hype and no quality, I don’t mean players like Mario Balotelli whom despite everything had a pretty good career. Or Harry Kewell whose career was derailed by injuries, both of those blokes were very good for a time. Then I forgot that Connor’s name again, so I had to google it again. Connor Clifford, once tipped to be a Steven Gerrard esque player, won many youth awards and amounted to a career of second division Irish football.

What players come to mind that inexplicably had huge hype?I don’t want to see players like Federico Macheda, because scoring40 goals in the Greek league is still respectable, I’m talking about barely professional, on the fringes of semi-pro and amateur.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Spike said:

McEachran played over 100 games in the championship. That’s a respectable career.

Your criteria is too specific. McEachran was the FUTURE of the English and Chelsea midfield. Turns out his career peak was on loan to Middlesbrough in the champo where he was 'okay I guess'

Fitting your description as best I can, here's a blast from the past. Samed Yesil. Remember him @Tommy @nudge

20 goals in 21 games in the German national U17s. 8 in 7 in the under 19s. Played 1 game for Leverkusen, 0 for Liverpool in 4 years. 1 goal for Lutzern then played regional football for the rest of his career. 

12 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Your criteria is too specific. McEachran was the FUTURE of the English and Chelsea midfield. Turns out his career peak was on loan to Middlesbrough in the champo where he was 'okay I guess'

It’s specific because everyone knows McEachran, everyone knows Pato, Bojan, etc. those conversations have been had a million times.

McEachran has probably earned over a million in his career. He is fine. Played regularly at a ver competitive level. Is it a great career? Not really but still better than 99%

3 minutes ago, Spike said:

It’s specific because everyone knows McEachran, everyone knows Pato, Bojan, etc. those conversations have been had a million times.

McEachran has probably earned over a million in his career. He is fine. Played regularly at a ver competitive level. Is it a great career? Not really but still better than 99%

He delivered WAY less than Pato or Bojan though. They both had careers to be proud of. Did they meet the super lofty expectations? No, but they didn't spend their careers in the 2nd division after being wonder kids. 

10 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

He delivered WAY less than Pato or Bojan though. They both had careers to be proud of. Did they meet the super lofty expectations? No, but they didn't spend their careers in the 2nd division after being wonder kids. 

I’m not saying he did, but he still had a decent career.

4 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Fitting your description as best I can, here's a blast from the past. Samed Yesil. Remember him @Tommy @nudge

20 goals in 21 games in the German national U17s. 8 in 7 in the under 19s. Played 1 game for Leverkusen, 0 for Liverpool in 4 years. 1 goal for Lutzern then played regional football for the rest of his career. 

Yup, he's from Düsseldorf. I remember him being hyped as the next superstar of German football. Then he went to Liverpool and was never heard of again. xD Sometimes I think about him and google him, and he's at another club somewhere in the middle of nowhere. 

Marian Sarr did well in a champions league game for Dortmund as an 18 year old. In his second Bundesliga game, he made a howler that really got to him just before half time. He was subbed off at the interval, and has since struggled to get playing time even in the lower leagues. (He is 27 now) I wonder if his story could have been different, had he not caused that goal at home against Hertha. I also wonder if it is only the lack of substance that generally causes these disappointments. Getting the wrong coach at the wrong time, injuries or personal matters all can be pretty detrimental. 

Yesil, for instance, had a lot of injury problems at a young age, although there was excessive hype there as well. Scoring many goals in youth football does not say that much, and to me Weiser and Can seemed the better prospects of that u17 national team. Yesil was a smart striker at that level, but smartness in professional football is a different beast.      

• Subscriber
10 hours ago, Spike said:

Isn’t he a coke addict

Gambling problem for Jose Baxter I think you're thinking of but may have been drugs as well.

As for the thread, James Vaughan and maybe Moise Kean from Everton.

11 hours ago, LFCMike said:

Gerardo Bruna. The kid Liverpool signed from Real Madrid about 15 years ago.

Adam Morgan. Ended up moving around non league clubs.

Is Adam Morgan the dickhead kid that thought he was good enough to start in our front 3, made a move to Fiorentina and couldn't even get into their youth team?

Archived