talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Your All-Time Premier League XI

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Screenshot_20220808-223609_Samsung Internet.jpg

The hardest choices for me were Beckham/Ronaldo and who to partner Rio out of Terry, Pallister, Campbell and Vidic.

It wouldn't surprise me if the likes of Harry Kane, Mo Salah, Kevin de Bruyne, Trent Alexander-Arnold, Virgil Van Dijk and Andrew Robertson force there way in over the next 2/3 seasons.

I'm putting a weird restriction on mine - no players that are still playing.

Except for Trent Alexander-Arnold because the right backs I'd rather have AIDS than put Gary Neville into my team.

all-time-premier-league-xi-2022-ff316977

I guess Ronaldo is also still playing too xD so you're only allowed to still be actually playing football if you are a right sided player under my rules.

1 hour ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

all-time-premier-league-xi-2022-7a079935c25850145f3ac235533ff732.jpg

My team beats all your teams. This is the basis on which I picked my players xD

We’d never know but I feel like Suarez and Aguero would get in eachother’s way.

2 hours ago, Spike said:

We’d never know but I feel like Suarez and Aguero would get in eachother’s way.

Perhaps, there were a few players, such as Ronaldo, Hazard and Van Persie who were unlucky to miss out too.

I picked players from the last decade because the speed and intensity of the modern game blows away the game of 20 years ago, and people who think Roy Keane (at his peak) would get even close to players like De Bruyne in terms of athleticism and speed of play are clueless. Doesn't mean Roys not an icon, and even doesn't mean you can't put him in your GOAT team, but my criteria was who the BEST players are objectively, not who was the most dominant at their time. 

all-time-premier-league-xi-2022-f2e2de70

Some tough decisions to be made here but also some very limited choices.

Lampard and Giggs were the closest to being added and almost Ljungberg to as that early 00's Arsenal team revolutionised the game.

Shearer and Henry were the easiest picks,   both were great in the older game and both would have been great in the new game and is the most complete forward on the list in terms of hold up play,  aerial play and could use both feet,  scored goals from inside the box, outside the box,  free kicks, penalties.

Schmiechel

Walker

Terry

Adams

A Cole

Gerrard

Keane

De Bruyne

Cantona

Shearer

Ronaldo

That was tough. The Cantona v Henry one in particular. 

I wanted Bale in too but couldn't fit him and as much as I hate to say it, Adams and Terry were brilliant, brilliant defenders.

Not easy that and am gutted I can't have Bergkamp in there but this is me.

all-time-premier-league-xi-2022-19e18b03

Schmeichel will always be the O.G of Premier League keepers simply for how imposing and dominant he was for years.

Trent is more dynamic going forward at RB but Neville was more of a solid all rounder, certainly better defensively, and that's what I'd prefer personally.

Van Dijk and Terry in the middle would be imposing for any strikers to face, and Ashley Cole LB, who for me, is still the best the Premier League has seen in his position.

I've gone for the physical dominance of Patrick Viera in the middle, along with the passing ability of Scholes and the silky David Silva orchestrating the attacks, I don't expect many to win the ball in this area of the pitch.

The speed, skill and agility of Henry and Ronaldo pulling wide and cutting in with the ultimate predator, Shearer in the centre.

15 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Not easy that and am gutted I can't have Bergkamp in there but this is me.

all-time-premier-league-xi-2022-19e18b03

Schmeichel will always be the O.G of Premier League keepers simply for how imposing and dominant he was for years.

Trent is more dynamic going forward at RB but Neville was more of a solid all rounder, certainly better defensively, and that's what I'd prefer personally.

Van Dijk and Terry in the middle would be imposing for any strikers to face, and Ashley Cole LB, who for me, is still the best the Premier League has seen in his position.

I've gone for the physical dominance of Patrick Viera in the middle, along with the passing ability of Scholes and the silky David Silva orchestrating the attacks, I don't expect many to win the ball in this area of the pitch.

The speed, skill and agility of Henry and Ronaldo pulling wide and cutting in with the ultimate predator, Shearer in the centre.

I didn’t go for Terry, would struggle with todays high line teams imo whereas Ferdinand would work well with Van Dijk.

9 minutes ago, Danny said:

I didn’t go for Terry, would struggle with todays high line teams imo whereas Ferdinand would work well with Van Dijk.

Terry would be fine in today's game, particularly under a progressive manager.

Don't recall Puyol having any issues. Or Thiago Silva now. 

10 minutes ago, Danny said:

Honestly a lot of difficult admissions but I tried to make a cohesive team. How is Makalele not in midfield?

This was my biggest issue. If I could have put Makalele in midfield, I'd probably have gone with a midfield 3 of Gerrard - Makalele - Lampard & a front 3 of Salah, Shearer, Henry.

7 minutes ago, N U F C said:

I’m probably biased but Shearer has to be in there as the all-time goal scorer which is even more impressive given he played for a side that never won anything for the main part of his career.

I honestly think I probably should have put Shearer in mine too over Bergkamp. So let's mentally all cross Bergkamp out of mine and put Shearer in.

I think Shearer and Henry are probably the two players I find most difficult to excuse from being in a greatest premier league XI. Yeah, there's loads of other great attacking players that have been in our league... but I still think it's hard to leave them out.

Archived