talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Brentford 4-0 Man Utd - Saturday 13th August, 2022

football forum

• Subscriber

Everyone will want to talk about Man Utd but a lot of credit has to go to Brentford and their manager. Thomas Frank has got the measure of ten Hag's tactics with this side in every department and put a game plan that has exploited them completely, executed in excellent fashion by his players. Clinical with their opportunities, getting all the basics right and a basically flawless 45 minutes of football from them. An illustration of what a football club with an actual plan can achieve with their resources and the polar opposite of what Man Utd bring to the table these days.

On the Man Utd side, there seems to be an absolutely frightful naivety on ten Hag's part as to what he can get away with with this squad of players against Premier League opposition. It's one thing being one of these "philosophy" managers but you've got to have some pragmatism. That said, the fact that the likes of Shaw, Maguire, De Gea, Fred and Rashford are still featuring for them isn't exactly his fault. I think he's made an error in judgement fighting so hard to keep Ronaldo and get him back in the side and the likes of Sancho and Fernandes just come across as if they think another club will eventually come and rescue them from this shambles on the account of the fact that they're "£80 million" players.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is probably their most humiliating one. I mean, Liverpool was bad but they are regular CL finalists and Prem title challengers. Frank is a great manager and Brentford doing well but to be in this position against Brentofrd is humiliating.

Some of it is on Ten Hag, the criticism is only less because he's just walked into this mess but he's got his tactics embarrassingly wrong, thinking the likes of De Gea, Maguire and Shaw can play like Barcelona and assuming that just because it's hot, United can just stroll up and win. 

However, the players are an absolute joke and how much will it take for it to actually sink in that they aren't as good as they think they are, they have to work as hard as the other team and "I play for Man Utd" doesn't entitle you to victory? 

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Rick said:

Martinez as CB in this league is a mistake. 

I don't understand why United signed him. 

Easy target for aerial battles with some of the strikers in this league.

Haaland up against Martinez...?!

Martinez is a brilliant footballer, but he's not a premier league CB. LB & DM would be better for him.

De gea is terrible BTW. He's been at fault for 3 of the 4 goals. Rushford is another jobber, just running into traffic all the time and generally not giving the midfield options

So I skipped the games this morning and they were all my high scoring, just my luck. So I figure I may as well skip them all because I only ever watch shitty 0-0 draws with one shot on goal. Ahh typical

16 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

Not 4-0 levels, but a lime green kit on a green kit is asking for trouble IMO.

They look like construction workers in Australia, playing like them after Friday night beers too

10 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

None of this on Ten Hag. I can’t quite believe people thought it would be any different with 9 of the bottle jobs still starting. And a 5’9” midget that now realises he isn’t playing in Holland any more.

Pain. Pain. Pain.

Nonsense. 

He's signed a player to play as centre back who is tiny (in central defender standards) and has looked utterly shocked that a team brilliant at set pieces who are mostly over six foot have out-muscled, out-jumped and out-fought him. He doesn't have the players to play out from the back but has tried to do so, he has been comprehensively out-thought by Frank.

Maybe boyo needs to recognize he's not managing in the Dutch league anymore.

6 minutes ago, Tar-Mairon said:

Nonsense. 

He's signed a player to play as centre back who is tiny (in central defender standards) and has looked utterly shocked that a team brilliant at set pieces who are mostly over six foot have out-muscled, out-jumped and out-fought him. He doesn't have the players to play out from the back but has tried to do so, he has been comprehensively out-thought by Frank.

Not a chance in hell any manager has say on transfers at a club like United.

8 minutes ago, Tar-Mairon said:

Nonsense. 

Again. You really have no idea how United are run. But yeah, he’s at fault for a keeper letting it slip, a keeper unable to make a 5 yard pass, a midfielder unable to shield a ball for 2 seconds and players not being arsed to run back and defend. Bar the Martinez effort (where he was more arsed about trying to manhandle a player than just head the fucking thing), you’ve literally analysed one goal and blamed the whole thing on the manager.

I assume at a club like United the transfer process goes like this

1. Manager tells the head scout what the team needs
  2. Head scout finds players that fit these requirements
  3. Submits a list of targets to the director of football
  4. DoF reviews the list and submits it to the board of directors 
  5. BoD rejects this list and approaches a player that was requested by the manager of five years prior as this player is now considerably more famous on social media now
  6. Player is bought for twice market value
  7. manager is sacked

@DeadLinesman

• Subscriber

The number of times I've read/heard this and watched it get even worse for them. With Liverpool next, it's a particularly bold time to make the claim that things will at least never get worse than today for Man Utd.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived