talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

James Tavernier: Rangers captain signs contract extension

football forum

• Subscriber

Nice one for the Gers 9_9

Rangers skipper James Tavernier has extended his contract, saying it was a "no-brainer" to commit long term

The 30-year-old right-back's deal was due to expire in 2024 and his fresh agreement will last "well into his thirties", according to the club.

Since joining from Wigan Athletic in 2015, Tavernier has netted 85 goals in 353 appearances.

"I just want to spend more years here and have that security," he told the Rangers website.

"It is such a great place to play football and I can't wait to see what the coming years have to bring.

"I am settled here, my family are settled here, so it was a no-brainer to get the contact extension over the line."

Tavernier was appointed captain by previous manager Steven Gerrard in 2018 and three years later he led the club to their first title in a decade.

Last season he added Scottish Cup success under Giovanni van Bronckhorst and was inspirational in Rangers' run to the Europa League final, finishing as the tournament's top scorer with seven goals.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62581287

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
9 hours ago, Spike said:

It is surprising how few English players go north

Not nowadays, not like when the now retired Glasgow Rangers ex-owner was in charge Sir David Murry,1988 onwards during the Souness/Walter Smith era, Murray was a billionaire and bankrolled Souness/Smith with top English players like Gasgoine, Butcher, Chris Woods, Roberts, Mark Hateley, Gary Stevens, etc

I met Sir David when he visited our building here in Edinburgh when I was a building manager, a great bloke, down to earth and jolly as fuck, I shook his hand and thanked him for the Souness Revolution as the media named it with top players for Rangers.

Then Murray went and sold Rangers for a bloody £1 and Rangers spiraled after that, that's when I could have rung Sir David's fucking neck if I saw him again. xD

Archived