talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

2. Bundesliga 2017/2018

ZWEITE LIGA WAR SCHÖN, ZWEITE LIGA WAR SCHÖN, ZWEITE LIGA WAR SCHÖÖÖÖÖN, ZEIT FÜR UNS ZU GEEEHN! 

What a fantastic win today. Overall great performance. Haraguchi is sooooo good. I hope we somehow manage to keep him. 

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm also veeeery happy with our result in Aue today :P

That was so important. Did not expect that we could win that match after the last weeks.

Now things are looking much better again but we we will probably still need some more points. What a crazy season.

Köln’s relegated confirmed today with a 3-2 defeat at Freiburg after fighting back from 2-0 behind. In a way, the game today was a fair representation of Köln’s season, fighting an uphill battle admirably yet ultimately coming up short. 

Still, I hope to get back over there next season and maybe even try and do an away as well but I also have plans to do Spanish Football, maybe some Italian Football and potentially a trip to Toronto in 2019, so I don’t know how manageable all that will be. 

34 minutes ago, nudge said:

Congrats, Lars! Surely going for promotion next season? :P 

I know you are joking but I'll answer the question anyway :P

We'll still be living on a extremely small budget the next years. It's still a long way to go until we can maybe call ourselves financially healthy again.

If we manage to stay in the league for the next years we have a chance to slowly pay off our debts. We now have the basis to become a solid club again but only if we avoid getting relegated once more.

Today's Klassenerhalt is certainly the biggest success since our Zwangsabstieg. 

• Administrator

tuned in to Nuremberg vs Braunschweig temporarily. Thought I'd check the standings for this league and was stunned to see how tight the relegation fight is!

gb2.PNG

Kaiserslautern already gone but 5 points separating 8th and 17th :o 

Obviously the rest all involved in games against each other

Next week
Braunschweig vs Ingolstadt

Final Day
Darmstadt vs Aue
Heidenhem vs Greuther Furth
Dresden vs Union Berlin

Who said lower leagues were boring?!

12 hours ago, Stan said:

Thought I'd check the standings for this league and was stunned to see how tight the relegation fight is!

gb2.PNG

Who said lower leagues were boring?!

Personally I would have preferred a boring season this year :P

2 matchdays ago we had 38 points and were part of that group. 

In a normal season none of those teams (except Kaiserslautern) would get regelated with the amount of points they achieved at this point and we still have two more matchdays.

4 hours ago, Faithcore said:

Personally I would have preferred a boring season this year :P

2 matchdays ago we had 38 points and were part of that group. 

In a normal season none of those teams (except Kaiserslautern) would get regelated with the amount of points they achieved at this point and we still have two more matchdays.

A few months back Duisburg were steaming up to Kiel for third spot. A mid-table team all season like Union could go down still. It's been crazy. Last day will be fun for neutrals not so much for others. To say the least.

21 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Thoughts on invading the pitch @Tommy?

He also invaded the pitch and apparantly shook hands with a wolf.

I'm not a big fan of it.  Happened a few times in Duisburg over the last years and mostly the celebrations were much better when people remained in the stands.

Haha, it was a really great experience to be honest, and very peaceful. Everyone wandered onto the pitch, so I did too. Shook hands with our goalkeeper, enjoyed the atmosphere... it was great really. People dug parts of the pitch up and took it home with them, but I don't see the point really. Imagine standing in the bus on the way home, with some dirt in your hands... 

• Subscriber

The German Football League (DFL) has denied Holstein Kiel a special licence to play in their 10,000-capacity Holstein-Stadion should they win their first promotion to the Bundesliga because their ground does not meet top-flight standards.

Germany's most northern club have appealed the decision, but now could be forced to play their home games away from home.

Having only won promotion to 2. Bundesliga last summer, Holstein have qualified for the relegation/promotion playoffs on May 17 and May 21. They will face Hamburg, Wolfsburg or Freiburg, with the opponent to be determined on Saturday, the Bundesliga's final match day.

Should Holstein win promotion, they would become the first Bundesliga club from Schleswig-Holstein, Germany's most northern state. However, the DFL ruled this week that the club will get no licence for the Holstein-Stadion, with regulations requiring a minimum capacity of 15,000 and at least 8,000 seats.

Holstein requested a special licence with plans to upgrade the stadium to at least 15,000 by the 2019-20 season.

"We can't eradicate that flaw in a few weeks," Kiel executive Wolfgang Schwenke said in a statement.

The club plan to ask the league's licencing department to vet the decision.

"We still hope that we'll be allowed to play our home games in Kiel should we win promotion," Schwenke said, adding that the stadium fulfilled all other requirements. "That our stadium is that small is at our cost, but has no impact on the match operations.

"If there are no exemptions for such starting positions, it will make it impossible for clubs like Holstein Kiel, who are not backed by investors, to turn a fairy tale like ours into reality."

It is unclear where Holstein Kiel would play their home games, with Die Welt reporting that Hansa Rostock's Ostsee-Stadion, over 200 kilometres away in the state of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, is an option, along with Hamburg's Volksparkstadion and St. Pauli's Millerntor.

https://global.espn.com/football/holstein-kiel/story/3492076/bundesliga-waiver-denied-for-holstein-kiel-because-of-small-stadium

:( Hope they get promoted and this decision gets overturned.

I think the decision is perfectly right.

Why would they deserve another exception? They spent all of their money to pay their team and their coaches and such while other team are in financial trouble who tried to fulfill the requirements.

Obviously you cannot build a new stadion overnight but they already played one year in the 2nd Bundesliga with a special permission and I did not see any serious effort in Kiel to find a solution. Also they had been knocking on the door to the 2nd bundesliga for quite a few years already.

I certainly have no pity for Hoffenheim light.

6 minutes ago, Faithcore said:

https://m.tagesspiegel.de/sport/holstein-kiel-das-hoffenheim-des-nordens/1398972.html

Hoffenheim is maybe not the best comparism but those investors have put a lot of money in the club. Their success is certainly no miracle. 

Interesting. I didn't know that. Funny that the dubious player agent they mention in the article, "Steffen Schneekloth", is now their chairman :D Explains why they have players like Marvin Duksch and Johannes van den Bergh playing for them. I was wondering about that. 

• Subscriber

I don't know, using sponsors' (not investors!) money for building things like youth center, training facilities and the likes throughout the years doesn't really seem a bad thing to me, considering that they club is managing the money responsibly and not just going around throwing it left and right, trying to buy success by spending a few times more than the rest of the league. I think Kiel still have one of the lowest squad market value and salary budget in the league? 

I understand that the same rules should apply to everyone, but on the other hand, there were many cases of conditional licences being given out for other clubs throughout the years too (aren't Freiburg still playing in the stadium where the pitch is not level and is way too short according to DFL statutes,  yet they still get a conditional license every season?..), and as you said, Kiel surely aren't going to build a new stadium over night - is it even viable financially if they most likely are getting relegated again after a single season in 1. Bundesliga and would most likely struggle in lower leagues again with new stadium debt hanging on their neck? 

They don't seem like normal sponsors to me. Not at all. That's why i called them investors.

I get your point though but as i said I think that it's really unfair to other teams who tried to fulfill the requirements and spend money on it.

Kiel have taken a huge advantage by using all the money to pay for their team and coaches and I think there is much more money involved as it is known to be.

Just look at how much they paid their coaching staff already in the 3rd league.

• Subscriber

I won't argue, as I honestly don't know enough about how they operate. They don't strike me as a club that buys success though, I think they tried to go that way when they signed Götz and the rest of ex-Hertha coaching team a few years back, but after that ended in disaster, they decided to take a different approach. But again, I'm not too sure about that, so can't really argue... 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived