• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Harry Maguire - West Ham Transfer Off

football forum

• Administrator

WHAT.

THE.

FUCK.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11128527/Chelsea-eye-SHOCK-swoop-struggling-Manchester-United-England-defender-Harry-Maguire.html

Chelsea have made a shock enquiry about Harry Maguire’s availability amid growing doubt over the central defender’s future at Manchester United.

The England international - who is sweating on his place in United’s team for Monday’s crunch clash against Liverpool - is of interest to the Stamford Bridge club as they toil to complete a deal for Leicester’s Wesley Fofana.

And Sportsmail has learned that Chelsea have raised the possibility of taking Maguire to west London as part of United’s attempts to sign Chelsea attacker Christian Pulisic.

Man Utd fans can rejoice I guess xDxDxD 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Redcanuck said:

Swap deal for Pulisic,  but Chelsea would have to sweeten the pot a bit.

I don't really rate Pulisic all that highly, but I suspect United would have to be the one sweetening the pot if there was a swap deal. Pulisic, while inconsistent, I think has shown a hell of a lot more than just looking like a perpetual liability over the past 2 seasons. I'm not sure the same can be said of Maguire.

Maguire gets a lot of crap, but two years ago he had a good year at United and I thought he was outstanding for England at the Euros.  Hell knows what has happened to him since, but the response to him is so toxic at United he probably does need a move.  No way United get anywhere nearvwhat they paid for him though.

Edited by Redcanuck

2 minutes ago, Redcanuck said:

Maguire gets a lot of crap, but two years ago he had a good year at United and I thought he was outstanding for England at the Euros.  Hell knows what has happened to him since, but the response to him is so toxic at Unitec he probably does need a move.  No way United get anywhere nearvwhat they paid for him though.

Tbh I don't read too much into how a player does at internationals. It's generally speaking almost always a lower standard of competition to top level club football - the players don't have the same chemistry (because they don't train together every day), the tactics are a LOT more basic than in club football generally as well. And I think that's especially true of Southgate's England, which is one of the more defensive setups I think you could have with the players at his disposal.

Not even Solskjaer had as defensive of a setup as Southgate, and for a CB that doesn't have much pace and is really best in the air... the more defensive the setup, imo, the better the player will look. I think buying him off an impressive season at Leicester and then a world cup where England did really well meant you paid far more than he's actually worth.

Imo he's not always as bad as he is at his worst for United, but he's also not as great as he's looked at his best for England either. I don't think he's much of a leader either, so having him as skipper is probably not the best thing in the world for United.

But if United want to play progressive football like City, Liverpool, and sometimes Chelsea... I don't think he's the right CB by a long shot. If United want to build a very defensive team with a strong counterattack, then I think they can probably persist with Maguire. But imo that means building a strong central midfield that's priority is first and foremost going to protect the defense.

I assume with Ten Hag the goal is to play progressive football, so I think it's probably for the best if Maguire is let go sooner rather than later. But I don't think it'll be to Chelsea, or any other club that has serious ambitions in the league. And I definitely think you'll not be able to see the fee recouped.

32 minutes ago, Devil said:

They said the same about Casamiro. 

He needs a fresh start and I don't believe he's as bad as he's looked at United. 

Save me the car salesman pitch.... One previous owner, drives like a dream etc, etc.. 2 weeks later you realise you have purchased a clapped out piece of crap... xD

He has not been the same player since that holiday incident... Also this when he scored against Albania.. despite playing dogshit for his club before and after.... No thanks.. If we needed a showroom dummy at the back we can go to our local H&M shop and buy one... 

Harry Maguire celebrates his goal against Andorra

Edited by Bluewolf
  • Haha 1

Just wonder if this is a case of Chinese whispers, might be Fofana to CFC, Maguire back to Leicester and Pulisic on loan to Utd.  

Oh and there is another talk of another fading big name Aubameyang this has shades of the transfers for Conte's second season. 

Hopefully just the media trying to cheaply spice up the headlines. 

• 1 month later...
  • The title was changed to Harry Maguire - West Ham Transfer Off
  • The title was changed to Harry Maguire - West Ham Make £30m Bid