talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

A Third Of Fans Watch Illegal Streams

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

I watch streams because I want to see our games, simple as that. If the Premier League allowed clubs to provide a subscription service where you pay to watch a stream of your teams matches I bet half of the people streaming them would happily pay for that instead, I certainly would.

But enough people will cry about ideas like this killing the game because people will apparently stop going to matches if they have that opportunity which is the biggest load of utter bullocks that I've heard yet still gets perpetuated after all these years. Going to the game has never been about just seeing the football and people will still turn up regardless. 

The idea isn't to protect Premier League attendances, it's to protect lower league attendances. You can say you'd still go to Everton or Arsenal games if you could, but what if your local team was Luton Town? Would you still go to their games if you could watch Premier League football on the telly?

1 minute ago, Burning Gold said:

The idea isn't to protect Premier League attendances, it's to protect lower league attendances. You can say you'd still go to Everton or Arsenal games if you could, but what if your local team was Luton Town? Would you still go to their games if you could watch Premier League football on the telly?

Never a problem in any country! its only a problem in England because of the price! a league 2 game is about £15-25 the price of a Bayern Munich ticket.

7 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

If I was a fan of the team I'd still watch it.

I've seen Non-league football on BT and it was unwatchable on the telly but I know it'd be better to see live.

4 minutes ago, VanPanna said:

Never a problem in any country! its only a problem in England because of the price! a league 2 game is about £15-25 the price of a Bayern Munich ticket.

That may be so, but protecting the lower league clubs as we do is why we have so many professional football clubs in this country.

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

That may be so, but protecting the lower league clubs as we do is why we have so many professional football clubs in this country.

interesting you mention 'protecting' lower league clubs when so many have gone in to administration or wound up for 5- or 6-figure fees.

Apparently Ilkeston Town were wound up for a £14,000 debt the other day. I don't know the intricacies or finer details of the club's debt but where was the help or protection for them?

3 minutes ago, Stan said:

interesting you mention 'protecting' lower league clubs when so many have gone in to administration or wound up for 5- or 6-figure fees.

Apparently Ilkeston Town were wound up for a £14,000 debt the other day. I don't know the intricacies or finer details of the club's debt but where was the help or protection for them?

It's disgusting! Clubs are now throwing around £60m-£70m on players frequently whilst other clubs are getting folded for £14'000 debt! 

• Subscriber
46 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

If you're going to Luton Town under the current circumstances you're probably quite a committed fan of the club. If you're that arsed about watching Premier League football you'd stream it and if you're that arsed about going to Luton Town you're still going to go whether or not there's Premier League football on the tele involving teams you aren't interested in.

18 minutes ago, Stan said:

I don't know shit about Ilkeston Town either. It is a shame, but you can't protect them all unfortunately and semi-pro clubs like that are never going to attract a big crowd.

I suppose you could argue the FA aren't doing enough to protect some small clubs, but allowing Premier League clubs to have more games televised (read: make more TV money) at the expense of lower league clubs' attendances definitely isn't the answer.

51 minutes ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

If I was a fan of the team I'd still watch it.

I've seen Non-league football on BT and it was unwatchable on the telly but I know it'd be better to see live.

Exactly. If you were a fan of the team. The idea is to get people who aren't necessarily fans of the team to go along for some live football.

1 hour ago, Burning Gold said:

The FA are just the Premier League's bitch, the Premier League and FA do not care for small clubs and what you say is also complete bollocks. 

Streams exist and Luton still pull in 5,000+ a match. People don't go to Football because they can't be arsed to watch a stream.  

51 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

The FA are just the Premier League's bitch, the Premier League and FA do not care for small clubs and what you say is also complete bollocks. 

Streams exist and Luton still pull in 5,000+ a match. People don't go to Football because they can't be arsed to watch a stream.  

No one? You're claiming to understand the behaviour of all football fans?

49 minutes ago, VanPanna said:

Only England in the whole world has this problem! no one has this stupid 3pm rule on Saturdays, plus over priced tickets and TV.

No one has as many professional clubs as we do. Unfortunately the nature of football in this country is such that a lot of these clubs couldn't sustain themselves if they charged what you'd consider to be a reasonable ticket price.

1 minute ago, Burning Gold said:

No one has as many professional clubs as we do. Unfortunately the nature of football in this country is such that a lot of these clubs couldn't sustain themselves if they charged what you'd consider to be a reasonable ticket price.

Not the point, the point is access and prices. 

It will change eventually simply because of the demand and illegal activity. No one knows what the effect will be because no other country is even remotely comparable. The current home generated revenue streams are enormous and are probably the main reason for any lack of change. 

The fact that so many watch illegal streams yet broadcasters can still pay the amount they do for Premier League rights (not even all the games at that) shows they charge a lot for their services, it's definitely not as if it's hitting them in the pocket.

1 hour ago, Burning Gold said:

Your argument is rubbish so you're putting a weird spin on it? 

• Subscriber
9 hours ago, Burning Gold said:

I don't buy that there are measures taken to protect lower league clubs when someone under investigation for match fixing in Greece is allowed to buy a club here.

It's probably about money. That's why that daft idea about a regional blackout was proposed, because there is ticket sales revenue that would be lost which won't be offset by tv revenue.

Read this paragraph from a study on Scottish football

As is to be expected, the majority of academic literature surrounding the impact of TV broadcasting on match day attendance focuses on the major European football leagues and, specifically, the English Premier League.  A wide variety of methodologies have been adopted for these studies, however, they have all returned a similar judgement; namely that, despite the regulations in place prohibiting the live screening of matches at 3pm on a Saturday afternoon (Sale, 2013), the live television broadcasting of matches has a significant and negative impact on match attendance (Allan and Roy, 2008; Allan, 2004; Baimbridge et al, 1996; Buraimo, 2008; Forrest and Simmons 2006; Forrest, Simmons and Szymanski, 2004); the knock on effect being reduced revenue through traditional means, such as gate receipts.

And remember what weirdworld taught us all, that Scotland has the highest population to attendance ratio, England is 2nd, both vastly better than the rest of Europe.

• 4 weeks later...

The Premier League has been granted a court order which it says will help crack down on illegal streaming of football matches.

The order will mean internet service providers will be forced to block servers which are hosting live footage of fixtures and will run for the length of the 2017/18 season.

A similar order was in place for the title run-in last season and saw more than 5,000 IP addresses blocked after streaming football matches.

Premier League director of legal services Kevin Plumb hailed the High Court order as a "game changer".

He said: "It will allow us to quickly and effectively block and disrupt the illegal broadcast of Premier League football via any means, including so called 'pre-loaded Kodi boxes'.

"The protection of our copyright, and the investment made by our broadcast partners, is hugely important to the Premier League and the future health of English football.

"The ability that clubs have to develop and acquire talented players, to build and improve stadiums, and to support communities and schools is all predicated on being able to market, sell and protect commercial rights."

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/kodi-streaming-football--13397806

I watch streams on a regular basis even though we get coverage for the Premiership and the lower league on SK, but if i could pay for all Chelsea games and for it to be legal i would. We also have UCL and the Europa League on TV

Archived