talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

A Third Of Fans Watch Illegal Streams

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, Tsubasa said:

I'd watch illegal streams if they weren't so shite. 

Not all of them are.

To be honest, I'm not sure how much of an effect this will have. They said it was in place at the end of last season and I don't recall any problems with any of the streams I use

• Administrator

would help if they brought down the price of contracts to watch the fucking channels in th first place. Maybe so many people wouldn't resort to illegal sites.

In Spain the Canal+ platform have brought down their prices dramatically over the past few years due to pirating of their coding system and obviously people watching on streams.

The truth is that television is becoming extremely expensive for many and almost a necessary luxury. We can include the BBC here in the UK as pay tv but in this case an obligatory tax via ownership of your setbox. 

At work, there's a guy that dishes out loads of these Kodi boxes with everything set up on them. £40 done. I think as an optional extra, you can pay for a sports subscription package called 'Sports Mania', £50 (but that's for the whole year) and you get HD streams. Where it's paid as well, there are less people using the streams so they seem to run fine (as long as you have a decent wifi connection). We have one set up at work, goes like a dream to be fair.

With that as well as all the latest films and series, you can see why people ditch Sky/Virgin.

I was tempted purely for the PPV Boxing because that is the one thing that really fucking annoys me about televised Sport but for now, I've not bothered.

Really easy to set up kodi etc. on a Firestick, just not much point now. Haven't used mine since the end of last season. Switched to streaming as I was sick of sky and their exorbitant prices.

And Gary Neville.

On 04/07/2017 at 0:48 PM, VanPanna said:

Why don't England show all the games live, like any other country, why are England so different, people will still go to the game.

Because having BT and Sky squabble with bids against each other for coverge rights of about 30% of matches is best for business.

• Subscriber

How they plan on trying to shut down illegal streams is what has me smiling. Its not like the streams are actually coming from the country of origin source and that's quite clear from the streaming zones. Years ago there was a huge problem with television show piracy over here because people just didn't get the content when they wanted to. Now, its so cheap I almost don't care for illegal streams because I get all the content I am truly interested in watching for cheap. I don't get why the big football media providers just don't get off their arses and put together a distribution network from all the money they've made just to get richer with a better PPV model. Boggles the mind.

• Subscriber

I stream matches. However, I'd quite happily pay a couple hundred quid for a subscription to all Everton's matches in a season. Of course, the problem is that this isn't a good deal for the people who make the deals, compared to the money Sky and BT will throw at the rights for the PL. Some argue that making paid streaming legal would impact on attendances but I say good, maybe that'll force some Premier League clubs to stop charging half a mortgage to attend football matches.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, VanPanna said:

You dont need an illegal stream, just get a satellite with a motor if you can put it on the building you live in, there are ways to pick up foreign tv that shows football and there is nothing illegal about that. 

if you own your own home this is fine. If not, you need permission from landlord (from social landlords anyway. Dunno about private landlords).

Just now, Stan said:

if you own your own home this is fine. If not, you need permission from landlord (from social landlords anyway. Dunno about private landlords).

Well there are boxes similar but run from IPTV, so no satellite needed, with illegal or legal ways to watch tv abroad with football etc. 

• 5 months later...

The biggest obstacle to the 'streaming revolution' or at least the future of broadcasting every game is the 3pm blackout rule.  As previously mentioned, the impact of the rule on lower league attendances is vastly overrated. It's not as if these games aren't already available to watch, all you'd be doing is legalizing them. Someone isn't sitting at home deciding whether they'll go down to watch Luton Town or watching a stream. People go to football matches because they like being there. It baffles me how the big clubs haven't spent more time lobbying for this rule to be lifted and their income streams becoming even bigger from television.

Personally, I don't think we'll ever see a streaming service for the EPL (at least within Britain). The money they'd make from selling all the games to Sky, BT Sport or some other broadcaster that could emerge, is far too big for them to turn down and sell direct. Sports television rights are increasing year on year (for almost every sport), even if the viewing figures aren't, because they are the only thing that people 'need' to watch live. Look at the deals for baseball being made in America, and it's not as if baseball is getting more popular at all.

With the next EPL television deal going to include entire midweek rounds, I believe this will be a glimpse of the future for football broadcasting. For the first time, you will probably get a 'match-choice' for league football similar to Champions League coverage of the last ten years. If the armchair fan gets a taste of this for midweek games in domestic football, how long will it take for the clamor for this to affect how people feel about Saturday afternoons.  

Streaming is what 'lesser leagues' would probably embrace. The SPFL have already embraced modern technology and have been one of the first adaptors of Youtube with every game from the leagues having highlights available, but whether they can take the next step is questionable. They are notoriously poor at selling their product ( Link ), and the fact they don't have a broadcasting deal in America is beyond poor business. They have basically ended up with clubs setting up their own individual streaming services (often covering only home games). What is required is a bit of leadership and organization from the SPFL and possibly creating more business for the league. It doesn't need to be as fancy as NFL Gamepass or the other American sports leagues offer, but if the lower leagues in Germany and England can coordinate it, why can't the top league in Scotland do it?

• Subscriber

There's enough money in football but I don't see what the Premier League, Football League and clubs have to lose by offering legal, high quality streams of matches for a few quid a pop or even sell a "season ticket" for particular clubs. 

If happily pay it and I know many more would as well. And like you've said it won't really impact on attendances, if I had the option of going to every game for £30 a pop or streaming for free at home I would pay the money and so would a lot of people.

9 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

There's enough money in football but I don't see what the Premier League, Football League and clubs have to lose by offering legal, high quality streams of matches for a few quid a pop or even sell a "season ticket" for particular clubs. 

If happily pay it and I know many more would as well. And like you've said it won't really impact on attendances, if I had the option of going to every game for £30 a pop or streaming for free at home I would pay the money and so would a lot of people.

The biggest thing I see it being used for is away games or having games available 'on-demand'. Offering differing packages, for various prices, would be the best option for everyone. Say having a 'full season ticket', an 'away season ticket' and an 'On-Demand' ticket. I'm sure it would be hugely appealing to commercial opportunities as well. Clubs organizing supporters bars and area that could show away matches would create another income for them.

Nothing will match being at the game, but not everyone has circumstances that allow them to give up a whole Saturday for a game. People from other countries find it completely baffling that games aren't available to watch, but we've just happily accepted it.

• 1 year later...
  • Subscriber

"The average a pub pays for both Sky and BT, who broadcast Premier League games in the UK, is reported to be more than £20,000 a year."

It was this line that got me in that article. Didn't realise it was that much for pubs!

• Administrator
30 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-47650835

These sentences O.o

51-year-old Steven King, of Siddeley Avenue, Coventry, was sentenced to seven years and four months.

Paul Rolston, aged 54, of Pembroke Road, Coventry, got six years and four months.

42-year-old Daniel Malone, of Woodway Lane, Coventry, got three years and three months.

That's more than some people get for murdering or raping :o 

1 hour ago, Stan said:

That's more than some people get for murdering or raping :o 

The judge said the fact the defendants used techniques to try to stop broadcasters investigating them meant they got longer jail sentences.

• Administrator
17 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

The judge said the fact the defendants used techniques to try to stop broadcasters investigating them meant they got longer jail sentences.

Still seems weirdly excessive. 

3 hours ago, Stan said:

Still seems weirdly excessive. 

I think they also took into account the amount of money generated 5Mill and the period of time the offences took place over which was 10 years.. I do agree however that the sentence seems stiff compared to others that seem to get away with a lot more harmful stuff in life... 

2 hours ago, LFCMike said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-47650835

These sentences O.o

51-year-old Steven King, of Siddeley Avenue, Coventry, was sentenced to seven years and four months.

Paul Rolston, aged 54, of Pembroke Road, Coventry, got six years and four months.

42-year-old Daniel Malone, of Woodway Lane, Coventry, got three years and three months.

That is pathetic. You get less for murder.

Archived