• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Thread for Useless, but Interesting Football Facts

football forum

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

One of my favourites until a few years back - Coventry hadn't finished in the top six of any division since 1970 until 2018 when they were promoted after finishing 6th.

• Subscriber

Football is a pretty young sport
American football was invented in 1882, making it only 136 years old. While it's still an impressive age, this is nothing compared to the age of soccer: it was invented in the 5th century B.C. in China. 

Football was founded after rugby rules were modified to accommodate gameplay, but during its advent, it was played more like soccer: players could only kick at the ball and hit it with their hands, hence the name of the game. 

https://www.gripboost.com/blogs/blog/5-fun-facts-about-your-favorite-sport-football

9 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

Football is a pretty young sport
American football was invented in 1882, making it only 136 years old. While it's still an impressive age, this is nothing compared to the age of soccer: it was invented in the 5th century B.C. in China. 

Football was founded after rugby rules were modified to accommodate gameplay, but during its advent, it was played more like soccer: players could only kick at the ball and hit it with their hands, hence the name of the game. 

https://www.gripboost.com/blogs/blog/5-fun-facts-about-your-favorite-sport-football

I think as a rule we should only consider a sport as old as its first code. Before that it may as well have been a different sport. 1863 should probably be the ‘birth date’ because that is when rugby and soccer were officially split into different games. 

Cricket 1774

Aussie Rules 1858

Baseball 1845

so on and so forth

• Subscriber

While she was a director at Birmingham City, Karren Brady sold her husband Paul Peschisolido to Stoke for £400k.

Glasgow club Queen's Park are the only Scottish club to have reached an FA Cup final. They achieved that back-to-back, in 1884 and 1885, and lost to Blackburn Rovers.

• Subscriber
18 hours ago, Spike said:

Aussie Rules 1858

I still keep track of my Carlton out there, they were doing well in the top 8 and I hoped they could make the finals but they lost about 6 on the trot and missed out of the top 8 by percentage. 🙁

10 hours ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

They won the German title, that's correct. They did so 22 years before the Bundesliga was established, though.

I thought it was regional before thE Bundeskiga. Interesting 

17 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

I still keep track of my Carlton out there, they were doing well in the top 8 and I hoped they could make the finals but they lost about 6 on the trot and missed out of the top 8 by percentage. 🙁

I’ll take your word for it, I’m from Queensland B| I know very little about Aussie rules

• Subscriber
23 minutes ago, Spike said:

I’ll take your word for it, I’m from Queensland B| I know very little about Aussie rules

You should support The Brisbane Lions, they were based in Victoria in my time as Fitzroy but merged in 1996 as the Brisbane Lions and moved interstate.

download.png

The Brisbane Lions is a professional Australian rules football club based in Brisbane, Queensland, that plays in the Australian Football League. Wikipedia

41 minutes ago, Spike said:

I thought it was regional before thE Bundeskiga. Interesting 

It  were several Regionalligas and a final round of the respective Regionalliga champions to decide the German champion, when Rapid became champions. On a side note the German title exists since the 1902/1903 season, while 63/64 was the first Bundesliga season.

9 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

You should support The Brisbane Lions, they were based in Victoria in my time as Fitzroy but merged in 1996 as the Brisbane Lions and moved interstate.

download.png

The Brisbane Lions is a professional Australian rules football club based in Brisbane, Queensland, that plays in the Australian Football League. Wikipedia

I guess I ‘kind’ of support them. Watched more lions games than any other team. I mean I do vividly remember the Akermanis years 

7 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

It  were several Regionalligas and a final round of the respective Regionalliga champions to decide the German champion, when Rapid became champions. On a side note the German title exists since the 1902/1903 season, while 62/63 was the first Bundesliga season.

Ah, that’s the American model of sports. Very cool.

• Administrator
Just now, Spike said:

Do you mean penalty or a goal that was given by VAR after review?

The latter. 

Was in the FA Cup against Fleetwood in January 2018.

He scored, then it was flagged for offside. VAR had a look, and overruled the official's decision.  

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Spike said:

I guess I ‘kind’ of support them. Watched more lions games than any other team. I mean I do vividly remember the Akermanis years 

They have done pretty well after merging with the Brisbane Lions, before that they had won 9 Premierships in Victoria and now 3 in Brisbane, 3 years on the trot, 2001/02/03.

They are in this year's finals finishing 6th.

download.png

Archived