talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Thread for Useless, but Interesting Football Facts

football forum

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most teams earn less than 1.5% of their total income from matchday. Unless they run at full budget most teams have no commercial issue with no fans in seats. For instance, Leicester's is a mind blowing 0.2%.

No fans hurts lower teams more than the elite.

https://www.forbes.com/teams/leicester-city/?sh=60d439a710fc
https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2022/05/26/the-worlds-most-valuable-soccer-teams-2022-real-madrid-worth-51-billion-back-on-top/?sh=2ef4f92c286b

3 hours ago, Spike said:

Most teams earn less than 1.5% of their total income from matchday. Unless they run at full budget most teams have no commercial issue with no fans in seats. For instance, Leicester's is a mind blowing 0.2%.

No fans hurts lower teams more than the elite.

https://www.forbes.com/teams/leicester-city/?sh=60d439a710fc
https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2022/05/26/the-worlds-most-valuable-soccer-teams-2022-real-madrid-worth-51-billion-back-on-top/?sh=2ef4f92c286b

cough Most teams don't play in the top 3 tiers in their respective country. cough

29 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

cough Most teams don't play in the top 3 tiers in their respective country. cough

Most teams that are supported are though. You know exactly what I mean. Besides I was referring to the list on Forbes not every club ever.

7 hours ago, Spike said:

Most teams that are supported are though. You know exactly what I mean. Besides I was referring to the list on Forbes not every club ever.

I apologize, there's an increasing societal trend to brush the magority of clubs aside in favour of the interest of the richest and most famous 0.1%  that infuriates me, in Germany at least. Am reacting unfairly sometimes to it, therefore. Disagree with the bolded part nonetheless, that might be true in nations with a comparatively short footballing history. In countries with a more storied tradition the number of former successful and still quite supported clubs in the lower tiers is not as negligible as your comment suggests.

3 hours ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

I apologize, there's an increasing societal trend to brush the magority of clubs aside in favour of the interest of the richest and most famous 0.1%  that infuriates me, in Germany at least. Am reacting unfairly sometimes to it, therefore. Disagree with the bolded part nonetheless, that might be true in nations with a comparatively short footballing history. In countries with a more storied tradition the number of former successful and still quite supported clubs in the lower tiers is not as negligible as your comment suggests.

I’m not denying any of that but I would say that more than 50% of fans do, and that would qualify as most.

• Administrator

Charity Shield is usually played between the previous season's league winners and FA Cup winners.

In 1971, Leicester won it despite not winning the league or FA Cup the season before. 

We have Arsenal to thank for it. They won league & cup double, but a pre-season tour clashed with the Charity Shield. FA Cup final runners-up (Liverpool) and Leicester as winners of 2nd division took part instead. 

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Beelzebub said:

Scott Parker is the only player to have played for clubs from all sides of London: North, South, East, West

Can't have been many that played for Chelsea/Spurs/West Ham. 

Clive Allen and Jimmy Greaves come to mind.

Feel like I'm missing someone else obvious too. 

• 2 weeks later...

Germany lost their first penalty shoot out to czechslovakia in 1976 as west germany. 

Czechslovakia, Scotland and I think Saudi Arabia have perfect penalty shootout records. There may be others.

Dundee utd have a 100% record against Barcelona winning 4 out of 4 

Switzerland didn't concede a goal in the 2006 world cup as they went out on penalties to Ukraine 

England have never beaten the USA in the mens or womens world cup. They lost their first world cup match in 1950 1.0 and drew in 2010 1.1. In womens they lost 3.0 in 2007 and 2.1 in 2019

3 hours ago, Gunnersaurus said:

Germany lost their first penalty shoot out to czechslovakia in 1976 as west germany. 

Czechslovakia, Scotland and I think Saudi Arabia have perfect penalty shootout records. There may be others.

Dundee utd have a 100% record against Barcelona winning 4 out of 4 

Switzerland didn't concede a goal in the 2006 world cup as they went out on penalties to Ukraine 

England have never beaten the USA in the mens or womens world cup. They lost their first world cup match in 1950 1.0 and drew in 2010 1.1. In womens they lost 3.0 in 2007 and 2.1 in 2019

And they always will.

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Gunnersaurus said:

Lol I'm a bit confused by their name  actually. They seem to use both names at different times 

I think they prefer Czechia but accept Czech Republic as it is indeed an accurate name for the country. I suppose it would be analogous to referring to Australia as The Australian Commonwealth.

52 minutes ago, Reluctant Striker said:

Aston Villa were the first club in England's top division to have a non British manager. Dr Jozef Venglos.

Aston Villa were the last side to field an all English/British line up in England's top division.

When? 

57 minutes ago, Beelzebub said:

When? 

27th February 1999.

Michael Oakes

Simon Grayson-Steve Watson-Gareth Southgate -Riccardo Scimeca-Alan Wright

Lee Hendrie - Ian Taylor

Paul Merson

Dion Dublin - Julian Joachim

Subs on: Gareth Barry for Scimeca, Mark Draper for Taylor & Stan Collymore for earlier Draper

All English. Starters & subs.

And lost 4-1 at home, to Coventry City.

Archived