talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Female Drivers in F1

football forum

• Administrator

Vettel flying the flag for equality again :congrats:

Sebastian Vettel says Formula 1 boss Stefano Domenicali used a "very unlucky choice of words" when he said it was "very unlikely" a woman will be on the grid within five years.

Italian Domenicali used the phrase "realistically speaking, unless there is something like a meteorite," when discussing the issue.

Aston Martin driver Vettel said: "It was a very unlucky choice of words.

"I don't see a reason why we can't have a woman on the grid."

Domenicali was not saying he believed a woman could never race in F1, rather that there were barriers to female drivers at the moment.

He said it was "crucial to give the maximum possibility for women to come to F1 - we are totally dedicated to that", adding: "We are working on that to see what we can do to improve the system. And you will see soon some action."

But Vettel, a four-time world champion who is retiring at the end of this season, said Domenicali's comments sent out the wrong message for females trying to make it to the top of motorsport.

"It's statements like that which I guess women or girls are probably confronted with when they are growing up and sharing their dreams, sitting at breakfast saying I want to become a racing driver," German Vettel said.

"And the father might just have read exactly statements like that and say: 'You do like other things, why not focus on other things?'

"Maybe they do focus on other things and drop racing or the idea.

"It is important we don't say these things because there are sparks everywhere.

"I encourage every girl to speak up and prove Stefano in this regard wrong, and all these people wrong who say certain things can't be done by you because you are a girl or woman.

"This type of stereotypical thinking is slowly disappearing but has to disappear completely."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/62680863

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

May be a poor choice of words by Domenicali, but which of currently active women drivers would actually deserve an F1 seat? Maybe the situation will change in the next 5 years, as there are by far more girls driving in various series.

What I gather from Domenicali's phrasing is that you cannot just decide to put a woman in F1 because you think now is the time you do it. When there is an infrastructure in place with a clear path towards the sport that talented female drivers can walk, it is something that can happen eventually. All you can do as a governing body of a sport is make sure the right tools are available but it is a long and difficult process that cannot happen overnight. This is also what F1 drivers like Verstappen have said in the past but Vettel continues his habit of making gratuitous feelgood comments no doubt in anticipation of his future political career.

• Subscriber
38 minutes ago, Panflute said:

What I gather from Domenicali's phrasing is that you cannot just decide to put a woman in F1 because you think now is the time you do it. When there is an infrastructure in place with a clear path towards the sport that talented female drivers can walk, it is something that can happen eventually. All you can do as a governing body of a sport is make sure the right tools are available but it is a long and difficult process that cannot happen overnight. This is also what F1 drivers like Verstappen have said in the past but Vettel continues his habit of making gratuitous feelgood comments no doubt in anticipation of his future political career.

To be honest, the infrastructure is the same for both boys and girls who want to be racing drivers. The biggest problem is the cost; it's completely insane, and that's what keeping most people away from racing, regardless of their sex. I'd say FIA and other motorsports ruling bodies should look into that first and foremost. Make grassroots and junior formula racing affordable to most kids, instead of making it an elite club of rich families, and maybe then you'll get the most talented boys and girls making all the way to the top. 

• Subscriber

I just hope it’s not enforced like things are in other sports. For example, the poor female commentators and pundits we have to put up with that are shoved in our faces across multiple sports.

I’m all for equality, I want my daughter to grow up in a generation where she has more options and possibilities in life than any generation before her. However things are becoming less and less about actual talent and skill just so we can pretend we’re doing the right thing.

I didn’t see much wrong with what he said to be honest. I’m sure he will know the talent pool better than Seb and all of us, and the young male drivers and competition they have at young ages will far outweigh the skill and talented young female drivers. That may change in the future, however not going to happen in the next few years. 

Archived