talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

TF365 Quiz 3 - World Cup 2018 Qualifiers

football forum

• Subscriber

Please make sure you have read the Guidelines and FAQ thread before taking part in the Quiz League - this will only take you two minutes.

Quiz League Round 3 - World Cup 2018 Qualifiers

This quiz covers the qualifiers for Russia 2018 from all six confederations. As a result, there are some very tricky questions in this one, but with some decent knowledge and a few educated guesses, a good score is still very achievable - good luck!

Click Here to take the quiz!

Access Code: 5NEC

Round 3 Deadline: Saturday 8th July 17:30 (UK Time)

Remember! Do not give away answers in this thread until they have been revealed after the deadline!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I found it easy to be honest. Although I only participated because I consider myself good when it comes to World Cup qualifiers.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

I found it easy to be honest. Although I only participated because I consider myself good when it comes to World Cup qualifiers.

Best hope you got a good score with talk like that :ph34r:.

I didn't find that one too bad to be honest (he says)

Although I didn't have a clue what to pick for Question 9. Literally changed my mind three times so it will be amazing if I have that one right.

• Subscriber

Closing this now because everyone who took part in the last one has done it. Also I'm a bit bored.

Quiz 3 Answers

1) Along with Russia and Brazil, which other team has confirmed their qualification for the 2018 World Cup?

A – Iran. Iran confirmed their place at next year’s World Cup last month, with an impressive showing in the final round of qualifying seeing them win six and draw two of their eight matches without conceding a single goal. South Korea are in pole position to join them from the AFC qualifiers, Nigeria have a four point lead in their qualifying group and New Zealand face Solomon Islands in the OFC qualifying final.

2) Germany are one of two European sides who currently hold a 100% record in their qualifying group. Who is the other team?

D – Switzerland. Switzerland have won all six of their qualifiers and currently lead Group B ahead of Portugal. Poland and Belgium are each on 16 points from a possible 18, while England have dropped points twice and sit on 14.

3) How many teams will qualify for automatic qualification (not including teams that may qualify via the playoffs) from the CONMEBOL (South America) qualifying group?

C – 4. Three more sides will join Brazil in qualifying automatically for the World Cup, with the fifth-placed side facing the winner of the New Zealand – Soloman Islands final in Oceania.

4) Which of the following major European sides do NOT currently sit in the top two of their qualifying group, and as it stands will be eliminated from qualifying?

C – Netherlands. The Dutch currently reside in third place in Group A, three points behind Sweden and France. Italy and Portugal sit second in their groups, with comfortable margins to the third placed sides behind them, but may have to go through the second-placed playoff to qualify for Russia 2018, while England presently top Group F.

5) Which team is currently top of the CONCACAF (North America) qualifying group?

B – Mexico. Mexico are unbeaten leaders of their group, ahead of Costa Rica and United States, while Trinidad and Tobago are bottom with 3 points from 6 games.

6) How many qualifying spots are given to Africa for the 2018 World Cup?

B – 5. The African contenders have been narrowed down to five groups of four teams, the winners of each group will automatically qualify for the tournament.

7) Which nation is unbeaten in this round of the OFC qualification tournament?

C – New Zealand. No surprises here, New Zealand picking up 10 points from a possible 12 in Group A. Solomon Islands were the winners of Group B but lost 1-0 to Tahiti in a qualifying match. However, as a result of Solomon Islands fielding the suspended Henry Fa’arodo, FIFA actually awarded Tahiti a 3-0 win.

8) Which team currently sits in second place behind Brazil in the CONMEBOL (South America) qualifying group?

C – Colombia. A very close chase behind runaway leaders Brazil currently sees Colombia sat in second on 24 points, ahead of Uruguay (23 points), Chile (23) and Argentina (22).

9) Who is Australia’s top goalscorer for this World Cup qualification campaign?

B – Tim Cahill. Despite being unbeaten with four wins and four draws, Australia are currently only sat third in their group and may need to battle through the playoffs to make it to Russia next summer. While 37 year old Cahill hasn’t scored in World Cup qualifying since last September, his 9 goals makes him the Aussies’ top marksman during this qualifying campaign, ahead of penalty king Jedinak (7 goals), Rogic (6) and Juric (4).

10) Cristiano Ronaldo is the joint top goalscorer in the European qualifying groups – joint with who?

B – Robert Lewandowski (Poland). Ronaldo and Lewandowski have been in a class of their own so far, scoring a remarkable 11 goals each in 6 matches. The other options on this question – Lukaku, Jovetic and Silva – have each scored 6.

Results

596101e180d80_Quiz3Results.thumb.png.162398b7d0503654097ec21b7d4376a0.png

Congratulations to @Azeem98 who is the first person to score ten out of ten on a round. @Tsubasa clearly needs an F1 round to catch up with the rest of the competitors :ph34r:. We also have two questions which were answered correctly across the board - not surprising that one of them was being able to identify New Zealand as the unbeaten team in Oceania, but I didn't expect 100% of responses to correctly call that Netherlands were the team sitting outside the top two of their qualifying group.

So close!

Fair play Azeem. I had a feeling I was the one who got the perfect score. Wouldn't have been able to tell it was the Swiss who have a 100% record. Thought for sure it was the Belgians.

Archived