talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Boxing

football forum

8 hours ago, LFCMike said:

Groves v Eubank Jr this weekend. Can't wait for this one. I reckon Groves wins this. Eubank overhyped

I've not seen enough of Groves since he lost to Froch to call it really...I do think Eubank is overhyped, throws a lot of punches, puts a lot of power in them but when I've watched him he seems to miss a fair few when swinging and that's against lesser opponents than Groves who generally have just stood waiting for him.

I watched Groves in the first fight against Cox and he definitely seemed a lot more static compared to his fights with Froch where he danced around the ring, but maybe that's helped him tidy his game up.

I can’t wait for this. I haven’t been this excited for a British fight since Froch v groves 2.

I’mfavouring Eubank but it’s a genuine 50/50. Groves had the size and experience and is a bigger puncher, Jr has relentless work rate and has never been rocked by a punch. Eubank will have no game plan, he will just try outwork and outpunch groves into relentless submission. There is no other plan.

I think if Groves boxes to a game plan and doesn’t get involved in a tear up then he wins. If it’s a dog fight then Eubank takes it. I’m going with Eubank.

i hope Eubank wins, he’s young and has the potential to be a massive star and he’s always in exciting fights. Groves will be out of boxing soon, he’s been in wars and will be looking to get out with his marbles in tact especially with what happenedto To guy he fought a few years ago, whose name escapes me.

• Subscriber

I do think the size of Groves and his experience beats Eubank. However Groves hasn’t impressed me for a while. I was there at Bramall Lane when he won the World title and he made he made hard work of Chudinov. Exciting fight nonetheless! Looking forward to it. 

8 hours ago, Marc said:

I can’t wait for this. I haven’t been this excited for a British fight since Froch v groves 2.

I’mfavouring Eubank but it’s a genuine 50/50. Groves had the size and experience and is a bigger puncher, Jr has relentless work rate and has never been rocked by a punch. Eubank will have no game plan, he will just try outwork and outpunch groves into relentless submission. There is no other plan.

I think if Groves boxes to a game plan and doesn’t get involved in a tear up then he wins. If it’s a dog fight then Eubank takes it. I’m going with Eubank.

i hope Eubank wins, he’s young and has the potential to be a massive star and he’s always in exciting fights. Groves will be out of boxing soon, he’s been in wars and will be looking to get out with his marbles in tact especially with what happenedto To guy he fought a few years ago, whose name escapes me.

He's this fought an exciting fight since Saunders.

Eubank had the potential I believe to be a lot better than he is but he seems very intent on wanting to just take people's heads off which isn't necessarily a bad thing because in a boxer.

I'm going with a Groves win.

3 minutes ago, Marc said:

The more I think about this everything logically points to a Groves win. Eubank is just a bit of an enigma.

All the casual boxing fans will pick Eubank, that’s why he’s bookies favourite.

Watched some of that fight back against Badou Jack, more to Groves than just being bald 

Edited by Danny

1 hour ago, Danny said:

Watched some of that fight back against Badou Jack, more to Groves than just being bald 

Yeah only 3 career losses. Froch when stopped early, Froch KO when he was probably winning the fight and Jack in a split decision. Jack went on to d

Edited by Marc

Tactically clueless from Eubank. The lad needs some proper guidance away from his arl fella spouting nonsense about a "warriors code". 

Groves had it spot on from the off. Hopefully Smith wins next week to set up a good final. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, HK85 said:

Tactically clueless from Eubank. The lad needs some proper guidance away from his arl fella spouting nonsense about a "warriors code". 

Groves had it spot on from the off. Hopefully Smith wins next week to set up a good final. 

Think Smith goes through and obviously hope he wins the final but think Groves beats him

• Upvote 1

Credit to Eubank, Showed the heart of a lion in the last couple of rounds when he was clearly tired and hurt but Groves was just on a different level. I wouldn't mind seeing that again after the tournament is finished but he got outclassed tonight and losing to Groves again would be disastrous for his career. ITV execs must be fuming as well considering how much money and effort they have put in to Eubanks promotion.

9 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Think Smith goes through and obviously hope he wins the final but think Groves beats him

Groves has loads of momentum now and obviously feels comfortable with McGuigan and I think he wins Smith as well. 

Callum hasn't got the experience of being in with someone like Groves, similar to Eubank but at least he'll have a proper corner. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Danny said:

Could you imagine seeing Eubank in the final of Groves gets injured? Would make a mockery of the tournament 

I'm not sure how they decide on the stand ins to be honest but you'd like to think common sense prevails if Groves is not going to be out too long and they just delay it a month or two. Obviously if he's out a lot longer then they have a decision to make

7 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

I'm not sure how they decide on the stand ins to be honest but you'd like to think common sense prevails if Groves is not going to be out too long and they just delay it a month or two. Obviously if he's out a lot longer then they have a decision to make

Yeah, be interesting to see how Groves recovers. He's still young but also he's been in a few wars over the years so his bodies had a fair bit of wear and tear. That's the problem with these tournaments in boxing, one injury and the final is potentially a non-starter.

• The topic was unpinned