talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Boxing

football forum

17 hours ago, UNORTHODOX said:

Pretty underwhelming from Smith but he got the job done which is the most important thing, I think he needs to move up to LHW after the Groves fight.

Although he's tall for a super middle I think he's comfortable at the weight so I don't see why he'd move up. Not yet anyway. Some huge punchers at light heavy and he'd find it difficult to win a belt there. 

What a weekend of boxing ahead. Brook should win, but after two broken eyes sockets the fight has interest, Yafai v G McDonnell is close to a 50/50, Allen v Thomas will probably be shit but another 50/50. Wilder v Ortiz is interesting as well although I think Ortiz is over the hill (he must be about 50). Then we also have Kovalev returning and the Channel 5 card with the best prospect in British boxing Josh Taylor.

Dave Allen is in shape, but so is Lenroy Thomas. I've had a dabble on Thomas on points at 9/2, there is so much value in that. It's a 50/50 and neither boxer is going to KO the other one, it's just the Brits putting money on Allen which has shortened the odds. I've also put it in a double with Wilder to win inside 4 rounds which is 35/1.

1 hour ago, LFCMike said:

Can't wait for Wilder v Ortiz. I don't rate Wilder but appreciate that if he lands a big one the fight will be all over. I've had a little go on Ortiz stoppage

I think a couple of years ago it would've been a live fight, but Ortiz looks fucking old. There has always been rumours about him being older than he is, he also wore a glove on one hand during the press conference (hand injury?) and then there's the PEDs he has been caught doing twice, so we've got to assume he's not on them this time so might not be the same fighter?

Finally, the boxing circles love a conspiracy theory and i'm not totally buying into this but why would Wilder risk a mega money fight with Joshua to fight a potentially dangerous Ortiz? There just seems something fishy about this and as such i've gone for Wilder stoppage which will build the Joshua fight more. 

I also don't rate Wilder as a boxer but he does seem to have fucking legit power.

1 hour ago, Marc said:

I think a couple of years ago it would've been a live fight, but Ortiz looks fucking old. There has always been rumours about him being older than he is, he also wore a glove on one hand during the press conference (hand injury?) and then there's the PEDs he has been caught doing twice, so we've got to assume he's not on them this time so might not be the same fighter?

Finally, the boxing circles love a conspiracy theory and i'm not totally buying into this but why would Wilder risk a mega money fight with Joshua to fight a potentially dangerous Ortiz? There just seems something fishy about this and as such i've gone for Wilder stoppage which will build the Joshua fight more. 

I also don't rate Wilder as a boxer but he does seem to have fucking legit power.

Yeah fair argument. I'm interested to see how both handle each others power to be honest. Interesting Wilder weighing in so light. Lightest for 9 years

I like Eddie Hearn but this Kel Brook malarkey is one of the most Hearnish things you'll see. Two broken eye sockets, two damaging losses...Hearn knows how to market a fight.

Dont see the fuss myself, Brook's not really that entertaining as a fighter for me and seemed so static against Errol Spence Jr which was weird as he was trying to dance around Golovkin. Seems a very come forward, elbows up and exchange sort of fighter.

Yeah agree this should be easy work for Brook. I think he’s pretty exciting. I’d say he’s a world level fighter but will come short against the elite guys. This fight is for a WBC trinket, Charlo is the WBC champ, that’s a recipie for disaster, he will break them eye sockets again.

gutted for Dave Allen.

Gavin McDonell winning this comfortably on points for me. 

Decent night of boxing. Feel for Dave Allen. Brook KO against a poor opponent  likewse Josh Taylor.

Had a few quid on Gavin Mc v Yafai to go the distance and Brook KO in a double and then a small bet on Brook in rounds 1-4.

I think i've got about £15 in total now in Wilder KO in rounds 1-4. I did it straight and also in a double with Thomas on points which was voided. A Wilder KO early would leave my skybet balance looking healthy for the first time in forever. I can't be arsed to stay up for it, will watch it in the morning.

Wilder with the win in the end but it'll do him no favours and just makes Joshua the bigger favourite now, Ortiz didn't have the power or more importantly the reach to get the power to knock Wilder out. Cut the ring off well, cornered Wilder, worked some good shots and done well to keep to the right of Wilder's leading foot making his right hand harder to connect. Should have ended the fight but obviously didn't have enough in him to do it, fair play to Wilder the man has a chin and can take some big hits.

I've said from the beginning that I think Joshua will win and Ortiz has set up a blueprint today in how to push Wilder to the edge. Joshua vs WIlder, Joshua to win via TKO after a crashing right hand and a left upper cut with Wilder against the ropes.

That exploded into a good fight. Wilder shows he has a chin and heart, but there's still the same questions over his technique, surely when he throws them wild swings Joshua or Fury would land.I think Joshua KOs him as well but would always have the feeling that a Wilder right hand could KO Joshua so it would be an intriguing fight. If he ever comes back to the same level he was at before  Fury plays with Wilder, Wilder wouldn't even be able to get into range.

3 hours ago, Danny said:

Wilder with the win in the end but it'll do him no favours and just makes Joshua the bigger favourite now, Ortiz didn't have the power or more importantly the reach to get the power to knock Wilder out. Cut the ring off well, cornered Wilder, worked some good shots and done well to keep to the right of Wilder's leading foot making his right hand harder to connect. Should have ended the fight but obviously didn't have enough in him to do it, fair play to Wilder the man has a chin and can take some big hits.

I've said from the beginning that I think Joshua will win and Ortiz has set up a blueprint today in how to push Wilder to the edge. Joshua vs WIlder, Joshua to win via TKO after a crashing right hand and a left upper cut with Wilder against the ropes.

I don't think it changes much in the odds or negotiations,, Joshua favourite but Wilder has the right hand sill. I think Wilder answered a few questions to some extent (chin, heart) but there's the same questions over his technique and boxing ability and we still know he has that killer right hand. Ortiz was a bit of a bogey man, we don't really know how good he is.

If he fights Joshua he will be far too small as well. How are his legs so skinny? He needs to get on that AJ juice. He would be giving away over 2 stone as it stands

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Marc said:

That exploded into a good fight. Wilder shows he has a chin and heart, but there's still the same questions over his technique, surely when he throws them wild swings Joshua or Fury would land.I think Joshua KOs him as well but would always have the feeling that a Wilder right hand could KO Joshua so it would be an intriguing fight. If he ever comes back to the same level he was at before  Fury plays with Wilder, Wilder wouldn't even be able to get into range.

I don't think it changes much in the odds or negotiations,, Joshua favourite but Wilder has the right hand sill. I think Wilder answered a few questions to some extent (chin, heart) but there's the same questions over his technique and boxing ability and we still know he has that killer right hand. Ortiz was a bit of a bogey man, we don't really know how good he is.

If he fights Joshua he will be far too small as well. How are his legs so skinny? He needs to get on that AJ juice. He would be giving away over 2 stone as it stands

Yeah Wilder took a bit of a beating there and managed to stay up, Wilder was explosive but when Ortiz boxed him and didn't trade punches he was getting the better of him. Ortiz didn't have an uppercut in that fight, Wilder leaves himself open for it and Joshua as seen has an explosive uppercut. Joshua can get to work on Wilder a few ways, can't see much more than an AJ win.

Thought Wilder could have used his jab more, stopped hitting Ortiz regularly in the hope he could pull out a proper right hand.

• Subscriber
On 03/03/2018 at 21:17, Danny said:

I like Eddie Hearn but this Kel Brook malarkey is one of the most Hearnish things you'll see. Two broken eye sockets, two damaging losses...Hearn knows how to market a fight.

Dont see the fuss myself, Brook's not really that entertaining as a fighter for me and seemed so static against Errol Spence Jr which was weird as he was trying to dance around Golovkin. Seems a very come forward, elbows up and exchange sort of fighter.

Brook has been one of the most underrated and avoided fighters we have had for years. 

I was there at Bramall Lane for Brook against Spence and Brook was on top untill around the time his eye was damaged for the second fight in a row. 

Also making 147 has hampered him for too long, i’m glad he’s now at 154. 

He did well against GGG, but going up to 160 against a Middleweight great was a step too far, but he still gave a good account of himself. He landed a few chocolate Brownies on that granite chin!

Brook better face Khan this year... can also see him facing Liam Smith at some point. 

20 minutes ago, JOSHBRFC said:

Brook has been one of the most underrated and avoided fighters we have had for years. 

I was there at Bramall Lane for Brook against Spence and Brook was on top untill around the time his eye was damaged for the second fight in a row. 

He did well against GGG, but going up to 160 against a Middleweight great was a step too far, but he still gave a good account of himself. He landed a few chocolate Brownies on that granite chin!

Brook better face Khan this year... can also see him facing Liam Smith at some point. 

Brook has one good win, Porter, in a 35 fight career. Pathetic. He's so talented, but stalled for years chasing Khan. He turned down fights with Cotto and Bundrage years ago. His IBF reign of terror Gavin, Dan, Bizier was pathetic.

Even now in his post fight interview all he talks about is Khan. I don't see how that fight happens. Kel can't surely can't go back down to 147 and Khan won't go up to 154 because that'll give Kel the advantage? 

I do actually like Kel, I just think he's criminally underachieved so far and I wish he would get on with his own career and stop chasing Khan. They dodged the Charlo questions well, no chance that happens. Another bum in June (likewise for Khan) is my prediction. The Brook v Khan fight wouldn't be nowhere near as big as it was 5 years ago, both suffered a few KO losses. It would probably sell out Brammel Lane, but at one stage it was an Old Trafford or maybe even Wembley fight.

4 hours ago, JOSHBRFC said:

Yet he's come up against two great fighters now and been stopped against both, fair play he did jump up to middleweight and you have to respect him for that but a loss is still a loss and that's two against the elite in two separate weight classes. He may win a belt at 154 but I don't think he'll beat Spence, his eye sockets will probably go again and it's not just that, Spence turned it up in the final rounds and Brook was struggling. He may give a better account at 154 but I think Spence will win again.

Brook vs Khan could have been a great match up for them both, it's a shame that they didn't go at it before when it was wanted because now it's nothing more than one of their final big pay cheques.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah Browne didn't really offer much but that was a violent KO.

Wilder has to go for Whyte now, if he wins the AJ fight is then massive. Though I reckon Whyte does Wilder.

There goes Buglionis fight with Yarde.

Edited by Danny

• The topic was unpinned