talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Boxing

football forum

11 hours ago, Danny said:

What a fight and what a night at the o2. A million times better than a stadium fight.

Marshall and Shields were phenomenal, as were so many more of the women in there. What a legend Alvarez is, see the joy when the fight was over and she got to celebrate fighting at such a big occasion. Massive.

Watched a fair bit of it last night. The main fight was very good in fairness. Thought Mayer should have won mind, even if it was close.

21 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Watched a fair bit of it last night. The main fight was very good in fairness. Thought Mayer should have won mind, even if it was close.

I thought Baumgardener should have but I can also be a terrible judge of boxing lol.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
16 hours ago, Michael said:

I want to watch the Dilian Whyte fight after the Argentina match. Any idea how good his opponent is? I've never seen Jermaine Franklin fight before.

Previously undefeated but never fought anyone of note, so it’s always hard to gauge how good he is. I’ve seen clips prior to this fight and I just thought his style could be awkward.. and it was. 

It wasn’t a robbery last night, I had it a draw. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am staying up to watch the Gervonta Davis v Hector Garcia fight. Many people think this will be another straightforward win for Davis, but Hector Garcia is the toughest opponent he has fought yet. Hector Garcia is an extremely tough fighter, who outclassed and beat the previously unbeaten and well respected boxer Chris Colbert not too long ago. I think that Davis has to be very focussed if he wants to win this fight. Davis was arrested only last week for allegations that he assaulted his girlfriend, but he has of course now been released. But being arrested is hardly the best preparation for a fight like this. Also if Davis beats Hector Garcia, he will face the mouth watering prospect of fighting the elite boxer, Ryan Garcia next. Davis has to completely get the thought of the fight against Ryan Garcia out of his head and put all his focus in defeating Hector Garcia.

Davis should find Hector Garcia a very tough opponent, although the power in Davis's punches, is always the weapon that usually helps him win fights. But as I said, Hector Garcia is his toughest opponent to date, so it should be a very interesting contest. 

I've always been a big fan of Lomachenko, who was the undisputed best lightweight boxer a few years ago. But now there is a new crop of young crop of highly talented American boxers who have come onto the scene and proven themselves over the past couple of years or so. Gervonta Davis, Ryan Garcia and Devin Haney have all proven themselves to be elite boxers in the lightweight division. So Lomachenko has his work cut out against these young Americans, but such is Lomachenko's talent, he has the potential to beat all of them.

After dominating the lightweight division, Lomachenko surprisingly lost to Teofimo Lopez in 2020. Lopez himself another top fighter, was also undefeated going into the fight. But Lomachenko later revealed that he had a shoulder injury when he lost to Lopez and Lomachenko had surgery done after the fight against Lopez. Lomachenko said that the injury affected his performance in that fight and I tend to believe him.

In any event, it will be good to watch Gervonta Davis fight in a few hours against a very competent opponent in Hector Garcia. Davis will want to win at all costs, to set up the enticing potential prospect of fighting Ryan Garcia later this year. Now that will be an even greater fight, but lets not jump the gun just yet. Gervonta has to pass today's test first.

What's your boxing wish list for the year? Here is mine,

Spence vs. Crawford
Fury vs. Usyk
AJ vs. Wilder
Tank vs. R. Garcia
Bivol vs. Beterbiev
Canelo vs. Benavidez 
Haney vs. Loma
Ennis vs. a top 5 welterweight
Inoue vs. Fulton (@ 122lbs)

All seem quite doable on paper. Let's see how many actually happen this year. 

• Subscriber
On 09/01/2023 at 19:48, MUFC said:

What's your boxing wish list for the year? Here is mine,

Spence vs. Crawford
Fury vs. Usyk
AJ vs. Wilder
Tank vs. R. Garcia
Bivol vs. Beterbiev
Canelo vs. Benavidez 
Haney vs. Loma
Ennis vs. a top 5 welterweight
Inoue vs. Fulton (@ 122lbs)

All seem quite doable on paper. Let's see how many actually happen this year. 

Decent list there.

If Fury wins I hope we finally get him vs AJ. 

Crawford vs Spence has to happen. It was so close to happening last year. 

• Upvote 1

It was a really good fight and a KO looked like it was coming when Eubank kept landing those upper cuts. Was a great TKO by Smith.

I’ve never been a massive fan of Eubank and came into this wanting Smith to win, but after the homophobia in the presser it ruined the hype around the fight for me. The way Boxxer and Sky have tried to sweep it under the rug too is a shame for the sport.

Edited by Danny

18 minutes ago, Danny said:

It was a really good fight and a KO looked like it was coming when Eubank kept landing those upper cuts. Was a great TKO by Smith.

I’ve never been a massive fan of Eubank and came into this wanting Smith to win, but after the homophobia in the presser it ruined the hype around the fight for me. The way Boxxer and Sky have tried to sweep it under the rug too is a shame for the sport.

I agree. Always liked Smith but let himself down massively with that.

23 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

I agree. Always liked Smith but let himself down massively with that.

Yeah, and in general I am of the opinion that we shouldn’t hold boxers to certain standards when at the same time we’re asking them to mentally prepare to fight for their life. But I think a mixture of his age and the fact that no one really seemed bothered by it is what makes it worse.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JoshBRFC said:

Shocked at how many people thought it would be a walkover for Eubank. Bloody casuals.

I backed Smith KO only £5. Then £1 on 4,5 and 12.

03123340-290B-4C17-8003-628F7143772C.jpeg

I thought Smith would win but didn't expect a stoppage and certainly not that early.

1 hour ago, JoshBRFC said:

Is it really that big of a deal? Heat of the moment and he’s since apologised. 

I think it was yeah. Implying that if he was gay there was something wrong with it. And let's say if Eubank was, he's tried to out him publicly.

Eubank didn't cover himself in glory with his comments about Smith's private life and the city of Liverpool either though.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
12 hours ago, LFCMike said:

I thought Smith would win but didn't expect a stoppage and certainly not that early.

I think it was yeah. Implying that if he was gay there was something wrong with it. And let's say if Eubank was, he's tried to out him publicly.

Eubank didn't cover himself in glory with his comments about Smith's private life and the city of Liverpool either though.

Both as bad as each other. Things got said in the heat of the moment as he’s admitted it was wrong and apologised.

On 22/01/2023 at 19:04, JoshBRFC said:

Shocked at how many people thought it would be a walkover for Eubank. Bloody casuals.

I backed Smith KO only £5. Then £1 on 4,5 and 12.

03123340-290B-4C17-8003-628F7143772C.jpeg

Had Smith on points, wasn't arsed losing money because I don't like Eubank but that was generous odds considering Smith is a former world champion and been in with Canelo.

Pretty disgusted in Eubanks excuses, he may have been slightly caught with and elbow but from the footage how would Smith have a clue.