talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Boxing

football forum

On 02/04/2023 at 12:21, JoshBRFC said:

Retire 😂😂😂

He’s lost twice to the best pound for pound boxer on the planet. In his comeback fight he won every round against a man who arguably beat Dillian Whyte. He’s also under his 3rd trainer in as many fights.  

He has much to improve on after that display, but considering all the factors, there’s still plenty of big fights for AJ. 

I agree to be honest. He was defeated and outclassed by the best pound for pound heavyweight boxer in the world. There was no shame losing to Usyk, even Fury has clearly ducked a fight with the Ukrainian. Franklin was no pushover and like you rightly pointed out, many people thought Franklin was a deserved winner in his fight against Dillian Whyte. While Joshua easily beat Franklin on points last week.

Losing twice to Usyk has not done him the best of favours psychologically, but in terms of ability, Joshua is still there amongst the best. In my opinion, only Usyk and Fury are better than him in the heavyweight division right now. I would potentially also say Joyce, but Joyce hasn't fought as many big names as Joshua has, so it's not clear if he would win if he faced Joshua.

Joshua should look to fight British heavyweights Joyce, Dubois or even another fight with Whyte. Wilder would also be an interesting fight for Joshua, as Wilder has more power than Joshua in my opinion, but I think that Joshua is probably the better overall boxer. Beating an American like Wilder would catapult his status once again as a top heavyweight. I think a fight between Joshua and Wilder would be 50/50, but it would be a very dangerous fight all the same for Joshua. From what I understand, Hearn has Whyte lined up as Joshua's next opponent. I am sure that Joshua would win once again against Whyte, if this rematch is eventually confirmed.

• Like 1

I am looking forward to the Lomachenko v Haney fight. Loads of people have Haney as winning as he is much younger and much bigger. But I reckon that Lomachenko's skill and movement could have him win this fight. It would be a huge statement if Lomachenko won and it would have all the top fighters in his weight division, talking about him once again. 

Joe Joyce loses to Zhilei Zhang in the 6th round in a shock result. The fight was ultimately stopped because Joyce's right eye was too damaged for the fight to continue. But it is nonetheless a tough loss for Joyce to take as he was a clear favourite to win this fight. This is also Joyce's first loss of his professional career. Zhang is a highly rated heavyweight himself, but he wasn't regarded to be on the same elite level as Joyce is. But it has to be said that Zhang had the better of most of the 6 rounds. Joyce is usually a slow starter in fights and usually ends fights well, but the fact is this fight was stopped in the 6th round due to Joyce's eye being in a terrible state. It will be a tough defeat for Joyce to swallow and accept, but his aura of invincibility has now no doubt taken a hit, regardless of how this fight finished.

• Subscriber
6 hours ago, MUFC said:

First time I've seen Joyce fight. He's looked so flat flat footed, he makes Harry Maguire look mobile.

Casuals said he would easy beat AJ. 

Joyce’s loss really wasn’t a surprise to me. 

On 16/04/2023 at 11:27, JoshBRFC said:

Casuals said he would easy beat AJ. 

Joyce’s loss really wasn’t a surprise to me. 

Simon Jordan last week said he'd heard about talks of a heavyweight tournament taking place in Saudi. Fury v Usyk and AJ v Wilder, with the winners facing each other. Malik Scott has now admitted there have been talks and now Eddie Hearn has said there have been talks.

This is Boxing so I'll remain pessimistic about this happening and getting Tyson Fury to agree to anything seems nigh on impossible. But goodness me this would be amazing and the perfect way to finally get these fights on that have been brewing for years. The Saudis will be throwing a ridiculous amount of money at it.

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, MUFC said:

Simon Jordan last week said he'd heard about talks of a heavyweight tournament taking place in Saudi. Fury v Usyk and AJ v Wilder, with the winners facing each other. Malik Scott has now admitted there have been talks and now Eddie Hearn has said there have been talks.

This is Boxing so I'll remain pessimistic about this happening and getting Tyson Fury to agree to anything seems nigh on impossible. But goodness me this would be amazing and the perfect way to finally get these fights on that have been brewing for years. The Saudis will be throwing a ridiculous amount of money at it.

Fury doesn’t want to fight Usyk. So he will price himself out of it. 

3 hours ago, JoshBRFC said:

Great night of boxing.

Joe Cordina up next before we see the massive Tank vs Garcia.

Who have you got @Michael @MUFC @Devil.

Tank should beat Garcia in my opinion. Luke Campbell managed to drop Garcia when they fought, even though Campbell lost the fight to the American. Tank is clearly a better boxer than Campbell and he has a much greater knockout power. I think he will catch and KO Garcia. But Garcia should have several spells in this fight where he is on top, as his hand speed should see to that. But ultimately, I think that Garcia gets KO'D by Tank. I think there is also a question mark about Garcia's mental health and his susceptibility to getting panic attacks. Who knows how he deals with the pressure of facing his biggest boxing challenge yet. Tank is by far the toughest boxer that Garcia has ever faced. How Garcia deals with this challenge, will be very interesting to watch.

Pretty much went how I felt it would pan out. I was talking to my mate about it and felt Tank would win mid rounds even predicted the 7th. Gutted I didn't back it now.

Not having this nonsense I'm reading he quit either, he took a decent body shot off a heavy hitter. 

• Subscriber

I always fancied Tank as the favourite. But I didn’t think it would be Garcia taking a knee because of a body shot. 

A rematch a couple of years down the line at 140/147 would be interesting. 

Tank needs to fight the winner of Haney-Loma.

6 hours ago, JoshBRFC said:

I didn’t expect a no mas.

But who are we to judge how bad the body shot was. 

2 that stand out which I was watching live on TV. Hopkins on Oscar and Hatton on Castillo.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, MUFC said:

2 that stand out which I was watching live on TV. Hopkins on Oscar and Hatton on Castillo.

Good shouts.

Canelo on Liam Smith. Loma on Linares.

Not seen live but watched the fights; Micky Ward on Sanchez, Gatti on Durin.

29 minutes ago, Carnivore Chris said:

Tyson should fight both Uysk and Joshua and Uysk and Wilder should also fight.

There are other fighters that would like a look in to be fair.

I like the idea of a tournament but it's a bit closed shop.

• Subscriber
12 hours ago, Carnivore Chris said:

Tyson should fight both Uysk and Joshua and Uysk and Wilder should also fight.

Agreed. 

Joshua and Wilder is close for the end of the year. The Saudi’s are trying to do that fight and Fury-Usyk on the same card. Then the winners fight each other. AJ Wilder should happen, but again, Fury will probably talk himself out of fighting Usyk. 

22 hours ago, Spike said:

The paisas are pretty excited for the Canelito fight

@Carnivore Chris

@Devil

Amazing how many top British fighters have been in with Canelo over the last thirteen years. 

Only one gone the distance as well, Matthew Hatton. Fair play to the lad as well, arguably the worst of the bunch that have been in with him.

I expect Ryder to put up a decent resistance but ultimately Canelo will wear him down and take him down mid to early rounds. Maybe a shot to the body.

1 hour ago, Devil said:

Amazing how many top British fighters have been in with Canelo over the last thirteen years. 

Only one gone the distance as well, Matthew Hatton. Fair play to the lad as well, arguably the worst of the bunch that have been in with him.

I expect Ryder to put up a decent resistance but ultimately Canelo will wear him down and take him down mid to early rounds. Maybe a shot to the body.

Sure Callum Smith lasted the 12 rounds. Remember him losing virtually every round like