Brighton 5-2 Leicester - Sunday 4th September, 2022

football forum

• Administrator

Kick-off 14.00 (BST)

Live on Sky Sports

1200px-Brighton_&_Hove_Albion_logo.svg.p        VS     image.png

Last 3 Meetings
23/01/2022 - Leicester 1-1 Brighton
27/10/2021 - Leicester p2-2 Brighton (EFL Cup)
19/09/2021 - Brighton 2-1 Leicester

Recent Form
Brighton - LWWWD
Leicester - utter fucking shite

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

This will be a resounding loss.

Brighton are very good on and off the ball in their organisation and discipline. They pass the ball quickly and their movement off the ball will be too much for us.

We'll have a lot of possession, create very little. Vardy won't get much of the ball in the box, Maddison and Tielemans will have our best chances from just outside the box. We'll concede a sloppy goal from making it too easy for Trossard, Gross, Welbeck etc to score. One of those will be from a corner. 

I just cannot see us scoring more than them. Defence is a shambles, they're not coached properly and we're just in a massive rut right now.

• Subscriber

I feel relieved. We're surely, surely free of him now.

He's undone absolutely everything good he's ever done here for me. Fuck off out of here and don't let the door smash your tail you cunt.

3 hours ago, Stan said:

The smarmy little cunt criticised the fans today. 

Dick move. Hope he's sacked in the morning. Absolute charlatan. 

24 minutes ago, Dan said:

I feel relieved. We're surely, surely free of him now.

He's undone absolutely everything good he's ever done here for me. Fuck off out of here and don't let the door smash your tail you cunt.

You know what is nutty? Rodgers tenure at Leicester is the longest of all his jobs so far.

• Subscriber
17 minutes ago, Spike said:

You know what is nutty? Rodgers tenure at Leicester is the longest of all his jobs so far.

Tell you what is genuinely quite mad, and it's quite sad as well really, is that despite having genuine success with some of his clubs he's never, ever taken to by the fans on a grand scale. He's never quite had it here, he didn't at Celtic either. When you see through the facade you really see somebody quite unpleasant, utterly out for themselves to the point they will throw absolutely everything and anything under the bus to protect themselves.

They say a lot of teams reflect their managers personality and it really is so true. He's paid one of the biggest wages in the game yet at the first sign of genuine adversity he gives up. It's no wonder his teams often implode and tail off.

I should never be saying those things about a manager who won the FA Cup here but here I am and I stand by it. It will happen to his next club as well. Brand Brendan comes above all. What he's demonstrated in the last year, but particularly the last month has been an absolute disgrace. He will never be popular here and it's entirely his own fault. What a shame.

That absolute scandal at Brighton should be his last game and frankly, if it isn't, I am seriously, seriously worried about this season and club in general. We're down if he stays and nobody associated with the club could be deluded enough to think otherwise, so that would imply they're really concerned about the finances.

This is going to be a slog.

9 minutes ago, Dan said:

Tell you what is genuinely quite mad, and it's quite sad as well really, is that despite having genuine success with some of his clubs he's never, ever taken to by the fans on a grand scale. He's never quite had it here, he didn't at Celtic either. When you see through the facade you really see somebody quite unpleasant, utterly out for themselves to the point they will throw absolutely everything and anything under the bus to protect themselves.

They say a lot of teams reflect their managers personality and it really is so true. He's paid one of the biggest wages in the game yet at the first sign of genuine adversity he gives up. It's no wonder his teams often implode and tail off.

I should never be saying those things about a manager who won the FA Cup here but here I am and I stand by it. It will happen to his next club as well. Brand Brendan comes above all. What he's demonstrated in the last year, but particularly the last month has been an absolute disgrace. He will never be popular here and it's entirely his own fault. What a shame.

That absolute scandal at Brighton should be his last game and frankly, if it isn't, I am seriously, seriously worried about this season and club in general. We're down if he stays and nobody associated with the club could be deluded enough to think otherwise, so that would imply they're really concerned about the finances.

This is going to be a slog.

Mate, I was telling @Stan once that Rodgers is the type of bloke to openly lie, so I doubt the players really trust him. Rodgers claims that when he was coaching Celtic a Rangers fan came up to him during a traffic jam in Glasgow and shook his hand through the car window.  I don’t think Stan really got my point because I was being vague and probably drunk at the time but my point was that Rodgers is main focus is himself.

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Spike said:

Mate, I was telling @Stan once that Rodgers is the type of bloke to openly lie, so I doubt the players really trust him. Rodgers claims that when he was coaching Celtic a Rangers fan came up to him during a traffic jam in Glasgow and shook his hand through the car window.  I don’t think Stan really got my point because I was being vague and probably drunk at the time but my point was that Rodgers is main focus is himself.

Yeah I've read a few of those stories from Celtic, laughable really.

Said it a few times but it's telling the level Stan has turned - he was defending him far longer than I have been. I've gone from underwhelmed, to critical to absolutely loathing him to be honest. I prefer Puel for fuck sake. Fucking Puel!

Even I’ve tried to defend Rodgers before but it’s hard to see how he keeps his job. There is certain quality in this Leicester team but they play like they’re barely doing the basics. One of Brighton’s goals the tracking back was terrible, mild jogging from players rather than sprinting back. Clear sign the players aren’t playing for the manager.

• Administrator
7 hours ago, DeadLinesman said:

What did he say?!?!

Basically alluding to it being the fans fault that we make the players anxious or nervous. Is it fuck. 

He says he takes full responsibility, but he throws players under the bus. 

He says we need to keep supporting them. We have never stopped! It's him that doesn't have the support any more. 

He says we need to stick together. But he's the one that alienates players and batters the confidence out of them. 

• Administrator
37 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

Like deja vu with Benitez at Everton this. What a pair of absolute cunts, I'll be amazed if Rodgers sees out the month, but he should probably go now in honesty.

He has to.

It could be the most toxic it's ever been at the ground if he's still in place by the time we play Villa on Saturday. Potentially worse than when Puel was here and he was bad.

Rodgers probably wanting to cash in the cheque by getting sacked instead of doing the right thing by walking and realising he's taken the club as far as he can. Ironic if so, as now he's just damaging the club and, more importantly to him, his own reputation. No one else in Brendan Rodgers' world matters but Brendan Rodgers. 

Thankfully, there's reports that today could be his last day. If he does end up going imminently, there'd be such a huge air of relief around the club, 

He's got some degree of ability as a coach but not nearly as much as he thinks he does, which fundamentally wrecks his decision making and makes him painfully unadaptable.

Add on being a fairly weird and even repugnant personality and it's not a recipe for long term success. 

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Inverted said:

Add on being a fairly weird and even repugnant personality and it's not a recipe for long term success. 

Seeing this more and more as each game comes and goes. 

He's going through the Mourinho book of management when it comes to absolving himself of blame, but everything else under the sun is accountable. 

5 minutes ago, Stan said:

He has to.

It could be the most toxic it's ever been at the ground if he's still in place by the time we play Villa on Saturday. Potentially worse than when Puel was here and he was bad.

Rodgers probably wanting to cash in the cheque by getting sacked instead of doing the right thing by walking and realising he's taken the club as far as he can. Ironic if so, as now he's just damaging the club and, more importantly to him, his own reputation. No one else in Brendan Rodgers' world matters but Brendan Rodgers. 

Thankfully, there's reports that today could be his last day. If he does end up going imminently, there'd be such a huge air of relief around the club, 

While a shit manager is something you want to see an end of, I really feel like your hatred is awkwardly distributed. Sure, he's lost his shine and the players won't play for him. But no hatred for Kasper leaving for free? None for Fofana and Tielamens for being horrid little cunts who want out? None for the players who 'won't play for the manager' which is media code for "are a bunch of entitled cunts who refuse to do the job they are contracted hundreds of thousands a week to do, and have placed their distaste in their current boss over performing for their fans and club"? 

3 minutes ago, Rick said:

As much as I hate Rodgers, he has been shafted by the club and his players this season. There is no way back for him now though, he will have to go. 

He's ostracised a large portion of the changing room before you take into account the group of players he does play. A manager cannot afford to refuse to play 5-6 members of his squad, you need to rotate and the keep the fear of losing places to motivate. Leicester have lost that.

• Administrator
39 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

While a shit manager is something you want to see an end of, I really feel like your hatred is awkwardly distributed. Sure, he's lost his shine and the players won't play for him. But no hatred for Kasper leaving for free? None for Fofana and Tielamens for being horrid little cunts who want out? None for the players who 'won't play for the manager' which is media code for "are a bunch of entitled cunts who refuse to do the job they are contracted hundreds of thousands a week to do, and have placed their distaste in their current boss over performing for their fans and club"? 

Why would I hate Kasper? He didn't leave on a free. He's been loyal to us for over a decade and there's absolutely no cause for hatred towards him. Odd example to bring up. 

Just because I've specifically not mentioned Fofana here in this thread, doesn't mean I've not stated my feelings elsewhere. I've quite clearly stated that he's a cunt in other threads for how he's behaved and acted in the last month.

Tielemans has continued to remain professional by not 'downing tools' and is totally, totally different to how Fofana has acted! Fofana literally refused to train and forced a move out. Has Tielemans done the same? I don't think so.

I've gone through the phase for best part of 6-8 months of blaming the players and other things and gave my backing to Rodgers at that time. But over time, it becomes clearer and clearer that the issue is Rodgers. There's been plenty of times where the players' silly mistakes and errors have been identified, and I've said as much. But there comes a point where it goes beyond that, and the elephant in the room is actually that the manager is unable to find the answers or be creative enough to do so. He's very stubborn and has not found a way to get us out of this rut. 

In fact I think your assumption my hatred is awkwardly distributed is an interesting take. Ask Dan on here how long it took me to realise that Rodgers was the biggest issue. It gets to a point where I am unable to back Rodgers or defend him any more. 

Players should take some responsibility. Rodgers has to take more of it. Some of his decisions have been crazy to say the least. 

1 hour ago, Stan said:

Why would I hate Kasper? He didn't leave on a free. He's been loyal to us for over a decade and there's absolutely no cause for hatred towards him. Odd example to bring up. 

Just because I've specifically not mentioned Fofana here in this thread, doesn't mean I've not stated my feelings elsewhere. I've quite clearly stated that he's a cunt in other threads for how he's behaved and acted in the last month.

Tielemans has continued to remain professional by not 'downing tools' and is totally, totally different to how Fofana has acted! Fofana literally refused to train and forced a move out. Has Tielemans done the same? I don't think so.

I've gone through the phase for best part of 6-8 months of blaming the players and other things and gave my backing to Rodgers at that time. But over time, it becomes clearer and clearer that the issue is Rodgers. There's been plenty of times where the players' silly mistakes and errors have been identified, and I've said as much. But there comes a point where it goes beyond that, and the elephant in the room is actually that the manager is unable to find the answers or be creative enough to do so. He's very stubborn and has not found a way to get us out of this rut. 

In fact I think your assumption my hatred is awkwardly distributed is an interesting take. Ask Dan on here how long it took me to realise that Rodgers was the biggest issue. It gets to a point where I am unable to back Rodgers or defend him any more. 

Players should take some responsibility. Rodgers has to take more of it. Some of his decisions have been crazy to say the least. 

Sorry, forgot you did pick up cash for Kasper but he still left in his peak. Was odd. 

Tielemans HAS downed tools though! Sure, he hasn't stopped playing all together, but you'd be first to admit he's giving a D grade effort. 

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Sorry, forgot you did pick up cash for Kasper but he still left in his peak. Was odd. 

Tielemans HAS downed tools though! Sure, he hasn't stopped playing all together, but you'd be first to admit he's giving a D grade effort. 

He's not downed tools in the same way Fofana did. And maybe his head was turned. I'll agree he's not played as well as he could have, but taking yesterday into account, he's set up Daka's goal and was nowhere near our worst player. Perhaps that's timing of the window ending.

But by all accounts, there appeared to be no offers for him over summer. I think he'll eventually leave, but if we're comparing downing tools between Fofana and Tielemans, there's a stark comparison.

As for 'manager losing the dressing room', I think there's time where it is assumed this is the case but perhaps off the mark, and times where it's so blatantly clear it is occurring/has occurred and there's no turning it around. Rodgers has met the latter - making odd tactical choices, puzzling formations, weird choices for subs in a game, or too slow to react.

Leicester 2-2 Brentford - 2-0 up, almost cruising. Doesn't react to Brentford's tactical change, concede once, takes off the best player on the pitch, lose all control of the game and end up drawing.

Arsenal 4-2 Brentford - Pretty much destined to lose from the beginning for the sheer stark contrast in teams (previous seasons we'd go into the game with a chance or some hope, but total lack of emphasises the malaise of the club right now)

Leicester 1-2 Southampton - Not a great game, take the lead just after HT, brings some subs on, lose any control we had of the game, we concede, takes off a creative player in Barnes, we concede again. Probably lucky not to lose more than just 1-2. 

Chelsea 2-1 Leicester - Chelsea down to 10-men in first half. Go 2-0 down. Start attacking but spurn chances. This perhaps down on the players but indicates we don't actually take initiative or attack until we're losing.

Leicester 0-1 Man Utd - I don't think we played too badly in this one, just beaten on the day by better quality capitalising on our defensive lapse. 

Brighton 5-2 Leicester - the worst yet. Carved upon time and time again, perhaps lucky to still be 2-2 at HT, but capitulated in the 2nd half because we changed our shape and all of the players looked totally lost. 

Hence, I think Rodgers has 'lost the dressing room'. Players will still play, but he's lost the ability to guide, direct, motivate them as a manager should do. Perhaps they've lost belief in him too. The morale is dead low. Rodgers' inability to move away from 'playing not to lose' to an approach where we used to attack teams and play quick football is damaging us.

Fans of other clubs have remarked similar patterns - @Inverted for Celtic, @Dr. Gonzo for Liverpool when it comes to recruitment. There's a lot going on which can be laid at Rodgers' door. It's not hatred - it's just sheer frustration that we are now unable to do the basics. We've got a good squad - Evans, Ndidi, Castagne, Barnes, Maddison, Vardy, Tielemans, Iheanacho, Dewsbury-Hall. I think they've suffered from being over-coached (if that's a thing) and being asked to play in such a restrictive and regressive fashion. We're a shadow of ourselves compared to how we played back when Rodgers first joined. 

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Rick said:

As much as I hate Rodgers, he has been shafted by the club and his players this season. There is no way back for him now though, he will have to go. 

He's a large part of the reason for it. The board I think are increasingly culpible as well because they were the ones daft enough to let somebody with a pretty awful track record of building at a club have such power in doing so.

The players need to look at themselves and there's no doubt about that but when you have a manager actively sabotaging a team I can't blame them for losing motivation. He picks the poorest of our three goalkeepers (yes I genuinely think Ward is worse than Smithies), he picks a massively struggling youngster over a decent full back because the latter actually publicly doesn't stand for this bullshit, he picks our best defensive midfielder in defence because he's fallen out with another and the other, his signing who we went above to bring in, is so poor. When you see such blatant sabotage and a manager constantly publicly playing them down, it's going to get on top of you. I don't think they're not trying. I think they're working with a manager working against them - a manager deliberately sabotaging the team so he can get his payout. For me that's totally unforgivable and it undoes anything good he's ever done here.

This really does have all the hallmarks of a relegation. I don't sense that same fight Everton had either. It may came but right now it's hard to picture.

• The title was changed to Brighton 5-2 Leicester - Sunday 4th September, 2022
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived