• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Brighton 5-2 Leicester - Sunday 4th September, 2022

football forum

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

We're already one of the three bookies favourites. I think if we sacked Rodgers today we'd stay up but I fear there's an increasing delusion within this club. That anybody can think he turns this around astounds me and I think it's unfortunately the owner who does despite everyone else saying otherwise. The longer this delusion is maintained, the deeper a situation we're going to put ourselves in. The worry for me isn't their quality but it's their mentality. They buckle under pressure. I think it stems from Rodgers but is somebody going to fix that quickly?

We shouldn't go down, I still think there's a good enough side in this to pull well clear, but we're getting it so astoundingly wrong that you do wonder if that's where it ends up.

It's such an obvious time to sack. Villa, Forest and Bournemouth all in our next four games. Three games this lot are completely capable of winning but probably won't.

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, Inverted said:

It's certainly a kinda shit position to be in, having had a transfer window like Leicester had, but a manager like Rodgers stands very little chance of dealing with it well. 

Said it earlier in the thread but I think you're seeing a good part of why his teams tail off. He earns a fucking amazing wage to manage us and he's throwing his toys out the pram at the first sign of adversity - adversity that his own poor recruitment has largely put us in.

Fairweather manager.

• Administrator
45 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Too early to cry relegation. The quality is there, the manager will be sacked, the players will magically come good all of a sudden (but no one will blame them for the shite prior) and you'll be right. 

Hold on. This is bollocks. I was heavily critical of some of the players last season. But it's now become clearer the deeper issue is the manager.

Also, this happens at nearly every club, no? There's a reason clubs get a 'new manager bounce'. More often than not it's down to the previous manager not getting the best out of the players or the squad, and perhaps some new ideas or management giving a fresh start that helps.

Leicester won't go down, but the lack of backing from the board (rightly, or wrongly) alongside so many players leave the club is a recipe for disaster. 

They could go in the next 2-3 years if they're not careful, and replace Rodgers with an even bigger barnpot.

• Subscriber

I think the quality of player will eventually keep us up but I say this - we're relying on a very unproven Iversen. Ward simply cannot play another league game for us, he's terrible. The Schmeichel loss and apathy towards it astounded me at the time and it does even more each day.

We could definitely drop though. If he's got Villa then that's 6 defeats in a row, and probably 7 after Spurs. Has a team ever survived from 1 point from their opening 8 games?

Astounding levels of ineptitude.

• The title was changed to Brighton 5-2 Leicester - Sunday 4th September, 2022
  • The topic was unpinned
3 hours ago, 6666 said:

The drastic fall from challenging for European spots to being in relegation scraps does need explaining. Maybe expecting them to be up there every season was unfair but the drop off has been surprising.

if the owners took a hit being in the aviation industry it won't help.  covid did a lot of damage

• Subscriber
7 hours ago, Dan said:

I think the quality of player will eventually keep us up but I say this - we're relying on a very unproven Iversen. Ward simply cannot play another league game for us, he's terrible. The Schmeichel loss and apathy towards it astounded me at the time and it does even more each day.

We could definitely drop though. If he's got Villa then that's 6 defeats in a row, and probably 7 after Spurs. Has a team ever survived from 1 point from their opening 8 games?

Astounding levels of ineptitude.

We had 2 points from 8 games the year Redknapp took over 

• Subscriber
16 minutes ago, Storts said:

We had 2 points from 8 games the year Redknapp took over 

I think it's very plausible we end up on 1 from 8. While it's still early days that's the kind of run that is seldom salvaged.

I do remember yours. Was extraordinary. But Spurs were never really likely to go down either. Would be interested to see what odds they went off at.

5 hours ago, Dan said:

I think it's very plausible we end up on 1 from 8. While it's still early days that's the kind of run that is seldom salvaged.

I do remember yours. Was extraordinary. But Spurs were never really likely to go down either. Would be interested to see what odds they went off at.

took us 14 to win one game last season.  first win came mid January

Archived