The better place to talk football.

Sack Race 2017/18

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
1 minute ago, LFCMadLad said:

Odds on Koeman slashed dramatically by all bookies o.O

20/1 is the best price I can see. Seems generous given how bad we look but I don't see him getting sacked unless the bad form turns into a clearly bad season.

I prefer to keep Koeman for now but it will only take a couple more performances like that for me to lose sympathy. Great managers and clubs that are going somewhere don't get tonked 3-0 at home by a team they want to be competing with in the league and respond to it by losing 3-0 again with an even worse performance a few days later.

He won't get sacked unless things get drastic though.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Aaroncpfc said:

To be fair to Koeman he's had City, United and Spurs in his first five games. Can't look in to there early form at all.

This is why calling for Koeman's head is utterly retarded. However, what Dan says below is correct as well, it's the manner of defeats. Break down our results, two scrappy 1-0 wins against Ruzomberok who couldn't even win the Slovakian league, a scrappy 1-0 win against Stoke at home who we should be hammering if we're actual contenders for anything of note, a win rescued by a last minute save from our new goalkeeper. Then City away looks like a decent point but 1-0 at half time against ten men then we got absolutely hammered for all of the second half without creating anything and probably should have lost. Hajduk Split at home first half is our best performance of the season, second half we failed to kill the tie but still a decent performance, and you can accept scrappy away draws to secure progress to the group stage in Eastern Europe which is what we got in Croatia. Then you've got Chelsea away and Tottenham at home, lost 2-0 and 3-0 with no shots on target in either match. Can stomach the Chelsea away as a bad performance after a long haul European journey but not when it's followed with a 3-0 home loss without a shot on goal, don't care if it's against Spurs, Barnet or Real Madrid, that's not acceptable. And then you've got tonight. Ultimately the truth lies between shrugging it off due to tough fixtures and calling for the manager's head. Pressure now for Ronald and rightly so, but talk of him getting sacked is utterly retarded given that he's signed more than half of this squad now and they've been given 5 minutes to gel and for him to find his best team etc. This is reflected in the odds of 20/1 or 25/1 for him to be the next to go with most bookies - the top 7 clubs have the luxury of knowing that even a very poor season won't carry a risk of relegation hence why Martinez was given two years of 11th place before getting the boot.

1 hour ago, Dan said:

You can't write a manager off entirely by losing to the top sides but rolling over is unacceptable against anyone.

Now that the first has fallen, the next sack race is underway and the odds currently favour Slaven Bilic:

Next Premier League Manager To Leave (Sky Bet)

Slaven Bilic 11/10

Rafael Benitez 9/2

Mauricio Pellegrino 10/1

Ronald Koeman 10/1

Craig Shakespeare 14/1

Sean Dyche 16/1

Arsene Wenger 20/1

Eddie Howe 20/1

Paul Clement 20/1

Roy Hodgson 20/1

Tony Pulis 20/1

Antonio Conte 25/1

Chris Hughton 25/1

Mark Hughes 25/1

David Wagner 33/1

Jurgen Klopp 40/1

Marco Silva 40/1

Mauricio Pochettino 50/1

Jose Mourinho 100/1

Pep Guardiola 100/1

No Manager To Leave 100/1

• Subscriber

Those odds generally make sense to me. I do wonder if Chris Hughton's worth a fiver though at 25/1. Just on the off chance Bilic turns it around.

If we struggle in our next three games Shakespeare's odds will drop. I've let him off so far because he's had not only horrendous fixtures, but a joke situation to contend with where he's ultimately been let down on recruitment (again).

• Subscriber

It won't be Guardiola because someone else will get the boot first but I think 100/1 is ridiculously long odds given that he'll surely be out on his arse if City don't win something this season. Should be more like 40/1 for me. Not backing it either way.

Koeman 10/1 I disagree with, like I've said above he'll probably only get sacked if we're below 7th and by a significant gap late in the season.

The rest yes I agree with. Another Anfield-like performance at Chelsea this weekend and I could see push finally starting to come to shove with Wenger. The rest of those between 14/1 and 33/1 are mostly the non-top 7 teams where any notable dip in form could see them in the bottom three and it'll be panic button o'clock. Could be any of them after a bad run. Silva should probably be in that bracket too, might give Klopp and Poch even longer odds than they already have.

• Subscriber

Wenger I can't even include seriously. I haven't got a clue what it'll take for them to ever get rid of him. It's like he actually gets to decide himself.

I expect them to be rolled over comfortably as well. At least by 3.

What's baffling about Arsenal is that they could be so much more. They've got the facilities, the London appeal, the money and the name and they're apathetic about winning nothing major. It's beyond belief.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Dan said:

Wenger I can't even include seriously. I haven't got a clue what it'll take for them to ever get rid of him. It's like he actually gets to decide himself.

I expect them to be rolled over comfortably as well. At least by 3.

What's baffling about Arsenal is that they could be so much more. They've got the facilities, the London appeal, the money and the name and they're apathetic about winning nothing major. It's beyond belief.

The conversation's been had a hundred thousand times but my belief with Arsenal is that those in and around the club have genuinely deluded themselves into thinking that because Wenger has won the league in the past, his methods must be successful and they will be successful again by the law of averages. I reckon they buy into the 10 year barren spell being caused by the stadium move and the management of the finances and the recent FA Cup wins perpetuate their belief that the club is on the brink of winning again, and I believe that they genuinely put all the slappings at the hands of Man Utd, Chelsea and Liverpool down to being individual bad days.

It sounds ridiculous that they can actually think that so I'm tempted to water down my paragraph and say there's only an element of truth to it but I honestly wouldn't be surprised if that was 90% true.

Just been listening to TalkSport where they had a phone in regarding Everton/Koeman and the comments from the Everton fans were a real eye opener. Bear in mind these weren't fair weather fans calling in, they were thoroughbred scousers, match going season ticket holders and they are disgusted with Koeman and the club in general. 

Comments ranged from wanting Koeman gone no later than today, about the recruitment this summer being embarrassing, to how the show of money is just that, a show, and that they have no more of a transfer budget then before the Chinese investment. One bloke claimed to know insiders at the club and he revealed that Everton only have around £35m per season to spend and that any further funds will have to be earned through player sales. This apparently wasn't explained to Koeman when Everton approached him and apparently he's not a happy man.  

Theres loads more claims that were made and some of the revelations were shocking. I knew things weren't great but I didn't know things were this bad. Losing the fan base this early into a new season could be disastrous for Koeman and the club in general and the owners might be feeling that a change is needed? 

Based on this, and the fact that he's won about 1 away game since taking over, I'm sticking £50 on Koeman being the next to go before the odds tumble even further. 

• Administrator
22 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Just been listening to TalkSport where they had a phone in regarding Everton/Koeman and the comments from the Everton fans were a real eye opener. Bear in mind these weren't fair weather fans calling in, they were thoroughbred scousers, match going season ticket holders and they are disgusted with Koeman and the club in general

Comments ranged from wanting Koeman gone no later than today, about the recruitment this summer being embarrassing, to how the show of money is just that, a show, and that they have no more of a transfer budget then before the Chinese investment. One bloke claimed to know insiders at the club and he revealed that Everton only have around £35m per season to spend and that any further funds will have to be earned through player sales. This apparently wasn't explained to Koeman when Everton approached him and apparently he's not a happy man.  

Theres loads more claims that were made and some of the revelations were shocking. I knew things weren't great but I didn't know things were this bad. Losing the fan base this early into a new season could be disastrous for Koeman and the club in general and the owners might be feeling that a change is needed? 

Based on this, and the fact that he's won about 1 away game since taking over, I'm sticking £50 on Koeman being the next to go before the odds tumble even further. 

xD mate do you know how many times fans of other clubs ring in pretending to be a fan of the club in topic and add fuel to the fire saying the manager should be gone?!

Probably happens on a daily basis!

TalkSport attracts the lowest of any fan base. 

Before Moshiri came in, who isn't Chinese, so that's another inaccuracy, our transfer record was £28 million on Lukaku. We broke that on three signings this summer alone, as well as matched it with Bolasie the previous summer. Six players have been bought for £20 million or more, unheard of before he came in. He's also got people working on delivering us a new stadium within the next few years.  

Koeman was let down on a striker and a defender but got everything else he wanted. He would have got the striker, it was all agreed but Giroud had a last minute change of heart after talking to his family. Recruitment only failed in that area. He wanted Klaassen, he got him. Wanted Sigurdsson, he signed. Likewise with Rooney, Pickford and Keane. 

There's been a big amount of incomings in the window and any one who expected them to hit the ground running with the fixtures we have had knows very little. Prices paid is irrelevant, they have to be given time to adapt. 

Put that £50 to better use, buy a ticket to a game at Anfield. 

5 minutes ago, HK85 said:

TalkSport attracts the lowest of any fan base. 

Before Moshiri came in, who isn't Chinese, so that's another inaccuracy, our transfer record was £28 million on Lukaku. We broke that on three signings this summer alone, as well as matched it with Bolasie the previous summer. Six players have been bought for £20 million or more, unheard of before he came in. He's also got people working on delivering us a new stadium within the next few years.  

Koeman was let down on a striker and a defender but got everything else he wanted. He would have got the striker, it was all agreed but Giroud had a last minute change of heart after talking to his family. Recruitment only failed in that area. He wanted Klaassen, he got him. Wanted Sigurdsson, he signed. Likewise with Rooney, Pickford and Keane. 

There's been a big amount of incomings in the window and any one who expected them to hit the ground running with the fixtures we have had knows very little. Prices paid is irrelevant, they have to be given time to adapt. 

Put that £50 to better use, buy a ticket to a game at Anfield. 

Why would I do that, it would cost me about £275 in wages to have the day off xD

24 minutes ago, Stan said:

xD mate do you know how many times fans of other clubs ring in pretending to be a fan of the club in topic and add fuel to the fire saying the manager should be gone?!

Probably happens on a daily basis!

Nah mate, I spend a lot of my time at work listening to TalkSport (waiting for my train to be loaded, sitting at signals etc) and I know a hoax caller on the wind up when I here one. These were genuinely angry fans that have real concerns about Koeman and its not hard to see why. They look horrible! No width, no pace or power, no cohesion, no passion, no belief, square pegs in round holes, about 4 number 10's etc. Then on top of that you have Koeman himself saying the team weren't prepared for a game in Europe? 

• Subscriber

You can't read much into Talksport, people are hardly going to be arsed ringing in if they're dead happy with the performance. Of course you'll only get the extremes of negativity with the people who are still rattled enough hours after the game to ring up.

Talksport is a load of shit, I doubt the Evertonians calling in are a true representation of the club. They're not gunna have people call in and talk about the normal opinion, they're going to wait for the whoppers who go with emotion over logic.

16 hours ago, Dan said:

Those odds generally make sense to me. I do wonder if Chris Hughton's worth a fiver though at 25/1. Just on the off chance Bilic turns it around.

If we struggle in our next three games Shakespeare's odds will drop. I've let him off so far because he's had not only horrendous fixtures, but a joke situation to contend with where he's ultimately been let down on recruitment (again).

Hughton's got one of the safest jobs in the league, no chance he's getting sacked unless Brighton fold badly which I don't think they're going to. Same with David Wagner.

I think it'll be Bilic next, I don't think Koeman will last the season either.

Archived