talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Sack Race 2017/18

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Do you still back him mate?

I've got to admit my faith has absolutely dwindled in the last few weeks. The form was poor towards the end of last year and in the first few games this year, but I didn't put that all on him, I felt he'd been let down.

But it's September what's hit me. We lost to Chelsea, OK, you expect it but still, a home loss is a home loss. We went to Huddersfield, a side with a fraction of our budget but you'd never have been able to tell, they looked better than us in every department, they actually reminded me a bit of how we were. I can forgive losing to Chelsea and Man Utd, I can't forgive being second best in every department (bar goals funnily enough) to Huddersfield.

Then you have the cup game against Liverpool. We won the game but we got well off the hook. We got forced into the match-winning sub through a freak injury, which OK, he's still made the right sub but even I could've made it. We then played them again that weekend and looked like we'd leant absolutely nothing from the midweek showing where we just sat off them in the first half, we did the same again and got punished, ended up chasing the game, nearly pulled it back but fell just short. This is the same Liverpool that in his first game here we went right at from the start and they had absolutely no answer. Why have we abandoned that mindset?

Bournemouth at the weekend was the worst of the lot. We were absolutely disgracefully bad, disorganised, unimaginative in team selection, formation and our style of play, but yet again we got away with it.

I think we'd be getting a lot more stick if it wasn't for Everton and Palace.

I've given him the benefit of the doubt a lot of times but Saturday really was an eye-opener, like Huddersfield. This is his team now and we're regressing. I have zero faith at all we'll get a result against West Brom or Swansea and I think a poor points return from those two could seal his fate. It's sad it's come to this as he's been involved in so much good at the club, he's been let down again by the recruitment (so near yet so far) but I think he knows nothing beyond 4-4-2 and long ball. There's no obvious replacement.

In hindsight I'd have definitely appointed Marco Silva.

But for what it's worth there's more wrong at Leicester than the management.

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Dan said:

Yep. I think they're very different scenarios really. Walsh at Leicester was on a tighter budget and naturally when you spend less money you're going to get more praise when you pull a good one out the bag. I'd still say it's likely he's responsible for the likes of Gueye, Calvert-Lewin etc... they're the kind of signings we made under him. It's a different ball game as DoF at Everton though and I wonder if he'll end up getting the chop.

Unsure on Calvert-Lewin. Unsworth and the U23s have had a bigger budget than 95% of football league clubs I'd guess and could have been the one to sign him. He's done a lot of business. 

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, HK85 said:

Unsure on Calvert-Lewin. Unsworth and the U23s have had a bigger budget than 95% of football league clubs I'd guess and could have been the one to sign him. He's done a lot of business. 

Fair enough if that's true, just seemed like the kind of signing he'd make here. Gueye was definitely a Walsh target and I've no doubt what so ever he'd be a Leicester player if Walsh had convinced Ranieri to sign him - but I think he used all that up when convincing him to sign Kante over Mendy. In came Mendy, off went Walsh.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Koeman now at 4/11, fingers crossed.

Sky have Ancelotti at 4/1 favourite to be the next Everton manager which is baffling beyond the fact he apparently wants to come back to the Premier League. Obviously complete guesswork though as Dyche who is 14/1 with Sky Bet is 15/8 favourite on Paddy Power.

1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

This has genuinely been mentioned along with Dyche. If those are our options we should just put Unsworth in charge until someone becomes available.

Give it another 6 games and you might be thinking shit we need Big Sam to stay up.

• Subscriber
16 minutes ago, HoneyNUFC said:

Give it another 6 games and you might be thinking shit we need Big Sam to stay up.

Nah, I could take over this side and get in the top 17. After all when I played Brighton v Everton on FIFA we won 3-2 so we'd be tenth if I was manager already.

I think given people have been talking about how were in a crisis, we could get less points than Derby, were the worst team in premier league history etc and were only now two points off Leicester people should maybe lay off a manager whose lost Lukaku and not been given a replacement.

6 minutes ago, Aaroncpfc said:

I think given people have been talking about how were in a crisis, we could get less points than Derby, were the worst team in premier league history etc and were only now two points off Leicester people should maybe lay off a manager whose lost Lukaku and not been given a replacement.

I agree ☝️ I think Koeman should be Everton’s manager forever!

1 hour ago, Aaroncpfc said:

Not been given? He's spent the Lukaku money on a load of attacking midfielders, I don't think it's rocket science to work out that if you lose a player of Lukaku's goal scoring ability then you do need to sign a proven goal scorer, which they haven't.

35 minutes ago, Toony said:

Not been given? He's spent the Lukaku money on a load of attacking midfielders, I don't think it's rocket science to work out that if you lose a player of Lukaku's goal scoring ability then you do need to sign a proven goal scorer, which they haven't.

You still think managers have complete control over transfers? He would have wanted a replacement, other people didn't deliver. Not there problem because it's a manager who was the best thing since sliced bread last season that will be the scapegoat.

4 minutes ago, Aaroncpfc said:

You still think managers have complete control over transfers? He would have wanted a replacement, other people didn't deliver. Not there problem because it's a manager who was the best thing since sliced bread last season that will be the scapegoat.

No but I don't think he will have had no say. 

I've never rated Koeman anyway, that lad who was at Southampton last season did more there than what Koeman did in 3 years and he still got sacked.

1 hour ago, Toony said:

No but I don't think he will have had no say. 

I've never rated Koeman anyway, that lad who was at Southampton last season did more there than what Koeman did in 3 years and he still got sacked.

Koeman was responsible for Southampton's best league finish since 84/85 season. 

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

He’s also responsible for Everton winning 1 away league game since he took over. 

knew he won against us in Dec 2016 but that can't have been the only 1, surely?!

Checked and he's won more than 1. 

West Brom 1-2 Everton (Aug 2016)
Sunderland 0-3 Everton (Sept 2016)
Palace 0-1 Everton (Jan 2017)

Nevertheless, that's still a very poor record to have only won 4 away league games since August 2016. 

Archived