• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

F1 2022 - Italian GP - 9-11th September

football forum

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/09/2022 at 20:30, RandoEFC said:

Bahrain, Imola, Silverstone stick out as quite good races but yeah the whole Max having most races in the bag by half distance routine is getting old quickly.

The FIA and Co need to realise that there is a distinction between "lots of overtaking" and "good racing". DRS has been overpowered at more races than ever this season and it serves to do double damage. Firstly, it makes otherwise interesting battles on track into formalities. Secondly, it results in the midfield cars not even bothering to fight faster cars on their way through the field because the overtake is so inevitable. Honestly today, Hamilton and Sainz came through from 18th and 19th to the top five, and one of Sainz' overtakes into the second chicane was quite good but apart from that Alonso was the only one I can remember making even a token effort to keep them behind. DRS sucks. I guess that's not specific to this season though.

The amount of times I hear "Yeah he wasn't going to fight that one, not his race!" when a midfield car let's a Red Bull/Ferrari/Mercedes through is a joke. I get there are levels like any sport but it's a bit like Norwich just "letting" Manchester City score 9 goals past them without fielding a goalkeeper because, y'know, not their game right?

• The topic was unpinned
18 hours ago, Whiskey said:

The amount of times I hear "Yeah he wasn't going to fight that one, not his race!" when a midfield car let's a Red Bull/Ferrari/Mercedes through is a joke. I get there are levels like any sport but it's a bit like Norwich just "letting" Manchester City score 9 goals past them without fielding a goalkeeper because, y'know, not their game right?

Yeah, I noticed that as well. Even heard something of that nature when Max went past Russell. "No point in defending that."

Now I think Russell not defending harder there was a good choice because it allowed him to potentially grab DRS for the rest of the lap, but commentators do seem to have this mentality that you should only try to defend when you're in a similarly paced car and it struck me as genuinely odd. I don't recall such comments being made much across 2021.

• Subscriber

Norris is the worst for it. Given that he usually finishes 7th and he doesn't even fight the Mercedes who tend to finish 5th and 6th, it's such a poor look for F1.

If you look back at the pre-DRS races, you quite frequently got teams outside the ordinary nicking better results than normal because faster cars got a penalty or started behind them and they defended their position. It was more competitive. Now we get more "overtakes" but when most of them are faster cars driving past midfield cars to finish 6th instead of what would have been 4th or 5th, who even cares? I'd rather see Sainz and Hamilton have to make 4-5 really great overtakes after battles that lasted multiple laps, and finish in the lower points positions while Norris, Gasly and Ricciardo scrap over a season best top five finish.

I've said it since day one but if I want to see DRS overtakes (one car driving past the other alongside them and then slotting back in front) I'll take a day trip to England and stand on a motorway bridge watching the traffic for an hour and a half.

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

@Stan does that most weekends mate, one of his most favoured hobbies. If you're ever in England drop him a PM.

An hour and a half? Pfft. You must have the wrong person. 

I'm there about 4 or 5, at the very least! 

Archived