The better place to talk football.

F1 2022 - Italian GP - 9-11th September

football forum

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
Just now, Tommy said:

Oooh this is going to be spicy. Safety car is what this boring race needed. 

Although comms think Safety Car will be in place til the end of the race. Which will be typical of how boring this race has been anyway xD 

Mick P12, once again better than KMag. Very decent race from him. Solid long first stint, and than he was flying on the softs in his last stint. Even though the car was slow as shit and couldn't keep up with the Williams on the straights. 

• Subscriber

There was some good racing in there but Max being in a class of his own is killing the entertainment a bit.

Big props to De Vries for that drive. Makes a mockery of some other drivers (sorry Mick) "needing a season to get up to speed" when he jumps in with 25 minutes practice and scores the team's best result of the season.

17 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

There was some good racing in there but Max being in a class of his own is killing the entertainment a bit.

Big props to De Vries for that drive. Makes a mockery of some other drivers (sorry Mick) "needing a season to get up to speed" when he jumps in with 25 minutes practice and scores the team's best result of the season.

There are fast learners, and there are slow learners. Both is okay. And now I need you get allllll the way off Mick's back. Understood? 😡xD

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Tommy said:

There are fast learners, and there are slow learners. Both is okay. And now I need you get allllll the way off Mick's back. Understood? 😡xD

I mean to be fair, Nyck De Vries took three goes at the F2 championship to win it and Mick got it done in two. Funny how things work out!

Mick has largely matched or bettered Magnussen lately though. I still don't see the logic in Haas pushing for Giovinazzi, who proved himself bang average over a number of years, to replace him.

• Subscriber

Both Albon and de Vries kinda prove that this Williams car could well challenge for midfield spots, given some luck and good strategy. It would actually be interesting to see which one of them would come on top over the course of full season in F1. 

Meanwhile, Schumacher in a Haas struggled to outpace Latifi despite DRS, slipstream, and soft tyres xD If I were Mick, I wouldn't even want to drive that shitbox next season anyway :ph34r:

Crap ending of the race, could and should have been entertaining last few laps if only the marshalls/track workers/race control hurried up a bit... 

So Max can already clinch the title in Singapore?

1 hour ago, nudge said:

So Max can already clinch the title in Singapore?

I think if Max wins the next race, and Leclerc finishes 7th or lower without getting the fastest lap, Max will be mathematically out of reach for the championship and retain his title.

EDIT: I forgot that there's a sprint race in Brazil, so more points up for grabs. Someone on Twitter calculated that Leclerc needs to be 8 or lower if Verstappen gets the fastest, and 9th or lower when he doesn't get fastest lap. Pérez also needs to finish outside of the podium.

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

This whole season has been very, very boring and that's coming from someone that doesn't mind Max at all. The new regulations have mixed up the leader, but there is still little to no racing each week.

I like Max and want him to win, and I also find this season extremely boring. 

A bunch of fanboys are now crying that this race was fixed 'like Abu Dhabi' because it finished under a Safety Car and happened to benefit Max. Ignoring the fact that the rules are now being followed to a tee specifically because so many people were fuming about Masi's decision last year.

Not that it would've mattered. As if anyone had the pace to beat Max had the race resumed, let alone without DRS.

• Subscriber

The fact that there's a serious debate among F1 commentators and journalists about having a red flag and standing restart if there's a safety car in the last few laps of a race just goes to show how much the entertainment factor is continuing to supplant the sporting factor of F1.

Verstappen was leading the race by a mile because he and his team did the best job. Some people think it would be alright to cancel all that out and restart the race just because it would be "more fun".

The last few laps shouldn't be treated any differently to the first.

Restarts after a red flag should be rolling starts behind the safety car, not another effective race start.

If you want to make a serious suggestion such as not counting laps carried out behind the safety car then be my guest but there's enough gimmick in F1 already with DRS and sprint races.

• Administrator
3 hours ago, Whiskey said:

This whole season has been very, very boring and that's coming from someone that doesn't mind Max at all. The new regulations have mixed up the leader, but there is still little to no racing each week.

Not sure about the whole season. The start, when Leclerc and Ferrari did seem competitive and before they started regularly fucking shit up for themselves, it looked like it might be an exciting title race. But that was clearly shortlived and it has been somewhat of a procession for Max. 

• Subscriber

Bahrain, Imola, Silverstone stick out as quite good races but yeah the whole Max having most races in the bag by half distance routine is getting old quickly.

The FIA and Co need to realise that there is a distinction between "lots of overtaking" and "good racing". DRS has been overpowered at more races than ever this season and it serves to do double damage. Firstly, it makes otherwise interesting battles on track into formalities. Secondly, it results in the midfield cars not even bothering to fight faster cars on their way through the field because the overtake is so inevitable. Honestly today, Hamilton and Sainz came through from 18th and 19th to the top five, and one of Sainz' overtakes into the second chicane was quite good but apart from that Alonso was the only one I can remember making even a token effort to keep them behind. DRS sucks. I guess that's not specific to this season though.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived