talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Thomas Tuchel Sacked by Chelsea; Graham Potter Hired

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seemed inevitable at some point this season. As I said in the thread about whether Tuchel could last this season back in July, there's too many players that have underperformed and wanted to leave the club which is a reflection of his leadership. The last couple of defeats showed they weren't playing for him anymore. 

A great tactician that I'm sure will have success elsewhere but his shelf life at Chelsea was over.

Didn't expect it this quick to be honest... clearly a problem on the pitch but with all the issues surrounding the club in recent months with sanctions, transfer bans, players departing and new ones coming in I thought he might have been given some leeway to sort it out before putting him to the sword but looks like Boehlyvich has taken a leaf out of his predecessor's book... 

Chelsea huh! all the fun of the fair... onwards and upwards as they say.. 

ESPN’s article on the sacking is 14 hours old somehow. On google search everyone else’s statement has been published with within 40 minutes. Are they in the know and withheld access to their article? Confusing.

• Subscriber
14 minutes ago, Spike said:

ESPN’s article on the sacking is 14 hours old somehow. On google search everyone else’s statement has been published with within 40 minutes. Are they in the know and withheld access to their article? Confusing.

It's an edited article. The original one was referencing how he could be leaving.

I thought they may give him more time but they haven't been good all calendar year really and they probably feel they can't risk the rut getting worse and potentially missing out on Champions League football next season.

You can't really shake the impression that he doesn't know how to manage an offensive game and that he's a real big-game manager who can out-think and nullify the best minds in the business but comes up short when he has to impose himself on a game.

He'll be fine though, he'll pick up a decent job elsewhere.

Poch did state that he would not go to Spurs' rivals but notably, he only mentioned Arsenal as our rivals so it depends on how he sees Chelsea. I have to admit, if he went there, it would taint what he did for us for me but he's free, he can do what he wants. I don't know how Chelsea feel about Mourinho or Conte and them coming to us but to be fair, they won things at Chelsea whereas Poch didn't with us.

I'm reading that Graham Potter is the first choice though. Whether he can step up (in terms of expectation - he'll be expected to win) is an unknown but if he can, they could be scary good.

• Administrator
29 minutes ago, Spike said:

Makes you wonder if the new owners even wanted Tuchel and sprang at the first chance to rid of him.

My thinking too. Any excuse to sack him and a loss last night was the final nail...

24 minutes ago, Spike said:

Edited article?

1 minute ago, Chickasaw said:

Brendan will soon be free. Might be ok in the short term.

I'd fucking love that xD 

• The title was changed to Thomas Tuchel Sacked by Chelsea; Graham Potter Hired

Archived