talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Thomas Tuchel Sacked by Chelsea; Graham Potter Hired

• Subscriber
9 minutes ago, Cicero said:

This screams panic and I can't see it ending well at all. 

That 9_9

All this reminds me of the United hierarchy wanting the little smiling gnome out in Ole, which they did and replaced him with a nobody (to me) in Raif Rangnick.

Rangnick might have had a wee bit of success with Stuttgart, Hannover, Schalke and RB Leipzig but he soon found out what it was like in managing a bunch of misfits at United led by Pogba, Lingard etc.

I don't think the current Chelsea squad are a bunch of misfits as they did win the Champions League, Super Cup and the Club World Cup under Tuchel but there must have been things going on behind closed doors that the Chelsea hierarchy did not like and panicked, did an Abramovich and got rid of Tuchel, I do think the Chelsea board have top class managers in sight and all they are doing is hiring Potter as a quick fix solution for the time being.

It reminds me of Ole at United when they sacked Jose, Ole was a quick fix and he started off ok but the wheels soon dropped off and Ole was a goner, is Chelsea going down the same road as United? 

It makes me wonder if Abramovich has really gone and is still around as a silent part of the furniture. :ph34r: 

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unlike Ole Potter already has EPL experience.

Playing twice a week due to the world cup year may be challenge for him.

Then there is the players will they buy into his philosophy or work to get him out?

I think he will do ok though for how long he gets the chance to remain will be interesting.

A future comparison might be between Potter with Howe. 

2 hours ago, Waylander said:

Unlike Ole Potter already has EPL experience.

Playing twice a week due to the world cup year may be challenge for him.

Then there is the players will they buy into his philosophy or work to get him out?

I think he will do ok though for how long he gets the chance to remain will be interesting.

A future comparison might be between Potter with Howe. 

Strategy and what position and type of players the club signs should be the input of the manager.   If Chelsea are to play his formation then a 3-5-2 is the likely formation.   

On 09/09/2022 at 07:03, CaaC (John) said:

That 9_9

All this reminds me of the United hierarchy wanting the little smiling gnome out in Ole, which they did and replaced him with a nobody (to me) in Raif Rangnick.

Rangnick might have had a wee bit of success with Stuttgart, Hannover, Schalke and RB Leipzig but he soon found out what it was like in managing a bunch of misfits at United led by Pogba, Lingard etc.

I don't think the current Chelsea squad are a bunch of misfits as they did win the Champions League, Super Cup and the Club World Cup under Tuchel but there must have been things going on behind closed doors that the Chelsea hierarchy did not like and panicked, did an Abramovich and got rid of Tuchel, I do think the Chelsea board have top class managers in sight and all they are doing is hiring Potter as a quick fix solution for the time being.

It reminds me of Ole at United when they sacked Jose, Ole was a quick fix and he started off ok but the wheels soon dropped off and Ole was a goner, is Chelsea going down the same road as United? 

It makes me wonder if Abramovich has really gone and is still around as a silent part of the furniture. :ph34r: 

Tbf to Potter, Ole's previous experience in the league was going down with Cardiff. Potter's done a pretty good job over successive seasons with Brighton. He's had them playing pretty positive football and they were looking very good this season.

I think it's a sort of refreshing appointment for a Chelsea that's trying to rebuild itself. Who knows how he'll do at a club with the toxic player power that Chelsea has - it's a tough place for any manager to succeed... regardless of how good they are. So it'll be interesting to see how he does.

I think his biggest challenge will be the dressing room. They'll have been expecting someone higher profile I think - because why wouldn't they? That's been what Chelsea have done routinely: churning through high profile managers and getting a lot of success in the process. I also think it's easier to play his brand of football at Brighton than he'll find at Chelsea.

If it works out, good for Potter and an inspired move from Chelsea tbh. If it doesn't work out, Chelsea churn out another manager and will be onto the next one and it's business as usual again.

Started with a 1-1 against Salzburg but they're still in Tuchel's shadow so cannot judge yet. Better than starting with a bang like OGS did at Utd and then drop off. Always better to build up slowly. I have to say though that it does seem a strange appointment and I cannot see him competing with the elite coaches.

• 4 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Cicero said:

That's almost like clubs have employed a stylist to make him more presentable as a top level manager.

In fact I'm gonna say that's the case. I think he's been advised his appearance is important.

23 minutes ago, Devil said:

That's almost like clubs have employed a stylist to make him more presentable as a top level manager.

In fact I'm gonna say that's the case. I think he's been advised his appearance is important.

Reckon Tom Ford is a Chelsea employee. 

1 hour ago, Devil said:

Yeah absolutely. The main thing Chelsea need to sort out was his hair, it was a mess. Got a decent barber in to sort out the back and sides. Looked slick last night with the turtleneck and jacket. 

Archived