talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Thomas Tuchel Sacked by Chelsea; Graham Potter Hired

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Cicero said:

I am astounded by the timing. Having just apparently backed him in the transfer market, in goings and outgoings, and to get rid of him now?

Now no manager or a director of football. 

You get the impression that none of the signings were his (barring Aubameyang) and perhaps that's what has pissed Tuchel off the most. I bet there were some pretty heated conversations between Boehly and Tuchel. Tuchel doesn't strike me as one to back down from his convictions. 

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Stan said:

You get the impression that none of the signings were his (barring Aubameyang) and perhaps that's what has pissed Tuchel off the most. I bet there were some pretty heated conversations between Boehly and Tuchel. Tuchel doesn't strike me as one to back down from his convictions. 

Mate, I pathetically lived on twitter and other social media outlets this past summer given the circumstances. Following every Chelsea correspondent and reliable journalist. Every single transfer, was hand picked by Tuchel. Marina and co were let go earlier in the summer, so Tuchel made a list of targets for Boehly to go after. 

I'm reading rumors now (no surprise they are coming out now) that Tuchel has a tendency to flip flop on what he wants and gets very frustrated on the matter. To tell you the truth, I wouldn't be surprised if this was true. Some of the decisions he's made on and off the pitch genuinely confuse me. 

1 hour ago, Toinho said:

I like his tears. 

Seriously though, I don't post much about football here but my old man is a Chelsea fan, so I actually have an interest in them.

I guess the only logic I can see is that the new owners simply have never wanted him. Otherwise, why has the club spent so much in the last few weeks and then only given him a few games essentially?

But they'll need another coach on a similar top tier to him and I'm not sure who's free who fits the bill.

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Mate, I pathetically lived on twitter and other social media outlets this past summer given the circumstances. Following every Chelsea correspondent and reliable journalist. Every single transfer, was hand picked by Tuchel. Marina and co were let go earlier in the summer, so Tuchel made a list of targets for Boehly to go after. 

I'm reading rumors now (no surprise they are coming out now) that Tuchel has a tendency to flip flop on what he wants and gets very frustrated on the matter. To tell you the truth, I wouldn't be surprised if this was true. Some of the decisions he's made on and off the pitch genuinely confuse me. 

Fair enough. Tuchel gives off that impression that he'll just simply never be happy. 

6 minutes ago, Stan said:

Fair enough. Tuchel gives off that impression that he'll just simply never be happy. 

He has a demanding personality. He is the same person as Conte, a control freak that becomes very aggressive when the club doesn’t meet his needs. Dortmund, PSG, Inter, Italy, Juventus, and Chelsea x2, have all ended similar.

If it is Potter, it could be the time he proves himself as an undeniable elite manager. It would undeniably be a step up for him, which is somehow always more acceptable (for some) for players than for managers.

If it doesn't instantly go well & he ends up with a bunch of sulking superstars.. he'll be shown as much time & respect as Moyes, Lampard & Nuno have at different times at different clubs.

And on Tuchel, sorry to any of his fans here, but really nailing the role of angsty little man from a struggling club Vs Conte & Tottenham? Being on negative goal difference after 6 games? Feeling rather like the 3rd club in London? Things seem to not be to the 21st century Chelsea standard right now, for whatever reasons.

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, Reluctant Striker said:

If it is Potter, it could be the time he proves himself as an undeniable elite manager. It would undeniably be a step up for him, which is somehow always more acceptable (for some) for players than for managers.

If it doesn't instantly go well & he ends up with a bunch of sulking superstars.. he'll be shown as much time & respect as Moyes, Lampard & Nuno have at different times at different clubs.

I actually think it's a win-win for Potter. 

Chelsea are a poisoned chalice, as they've shown with previous managers.

Do well, and his stock and reputation increases alongside that success.

Go badly, and people will still see he can be a decent manager and he'll walk into a job elsewhere.

I must admit, I'm happy to change my mind on Potter. I used to be fairly 'meh' on him, and saw his style as quite possession-based but not that incisive or deadly, as in 'lots of possession, no end product'. That appears to have changed and not just based on Sunday's game where we got obliterated. They appear to be decent at playing different tactics/formations and each player seems well coached. Most said Potter will do well at a club where he has a proper striker - he has that in Havertz/Aubameyang if he does end up at Chelsea...

Brighton recruit well - in fact there's plenty (on social media) stating that they have recruited in a similar fashion to how we used to - young, cheaper players that make their name in the PL and perform well, and their price goes up accordingly and in some cases they make huge profit. Or they have a good strategy and structure where they buy players in positions they need and don't get ripped off or pay over the odds. A few examples being:

Cucurella - bought for £16m, sold for £60m
Bissouma - bought for £15m, sold for £30m
Dan Burn - bought for £3m, sold for £14m

Leandro Trossard for £14m seems a bargain for how well he does. Gilmour will probably do well for only £10m. 

No doubt there's probably a few failures, but the club seem to be on an upward curve. Although with Potter potentially leaving, I wonder who they'll get in if he does leave.

26 minutes ago, Stan said:

Go badly, and people will still see he can be a decent manager and he'll walk into a job elsewhere.

I must admit, I'm happy to change my mind on Potter. I used to be fairly 'meh' on him, and saw his style as quite possession-based but not that incisive or deadly, as in 'lots of possession, no end product'. That appears to have changed and not just based on Sunday's game where we got obliterated. They appear to be decent at playing different tactics/formations and each player seems well coached. Most said Potter will do well at a club where he has a proper striker - he has that in Havertz/Aubameyang if he does end up at Chelsea...

Brighton recruit well - in fact there's plenty (on social media) stating that they have recruited in a similar fashion to how we used to - young, cheaper players that make their name in the PL and perform well, and their price goes up accordingly and in some cases they make huge profit. Or they have a good strategy and structure where they buy players in positions they need and don't get ripped off or pay over the odds. A few examples being:

Leandro Trossard for £14m seems a bargain for how well he does. Gilmour will probably do well for only £10m. 

No doubt there's probably a few failures, but the club seem to be on an upward curve. Although with Potter potentially leaving, I wonder who they'll get in if he does leave.

Fair points.

32 minutes ago, Stan said:

I think Dan Ashworth deserves a lot of credit for the effectiveness of the overseas recruitment structure. It'll be interesting to see if it's still at efficient in 2+ years time.

Chelsea are plagued by a few seasons of poor transfers,  while Tuchel is responsible for tactics etc,   he wasn't signed players that fit his system.   Chelsea needed a CB, DM/CM, CF as priority and were linked initially with Kounde, Tchuemeni, Nunez among other names including Rafinha.   The targets kept chopping and changing and it was like a situation of sign whomever they could.

Cucarella may turn out fine but he wasn't really needed,  Alonso and Chilwell seem more than efficient let alone Cucarella had one season for a team with low expectation under the directorship of a well known player manager,  the money spent seemed to be a gamble based on small sample size.    Fofana similarly off a bad injury,  looked tepid in his return and perhaps needed time to build up his stock,  he ended up plan G in the chelsea scheme of things. 

2 minutes ago, OrangeKhrush said:

Chelsea are plagued by a few seasons of poor transfers,  while Tuchel is responsible for tactics etc,   he wasn't signed players that fit his system.   Chelsea needed a CB, DM/CM, CF as priority and were linked initially with Kounde, Tchuemeni, Nunez among other names including Rafinha.   The targets kept chopping and changing and it was like a situation of sign whomever they could.

Cucarella may turn out fine but he wasn't really needed,  Alonso and Chilwell seem more than efficient let alone Cucarella had one season for a team with low expectation under the directorship of a well known player manager,  the money spent seemed to be a gamble based on small sample size.    Fofana similarly off a bad injury,  looked tepid in his return and perhaps needed time to build up his stock,  he ended up plan G in the chelsea scheme of things. 

I think we also needed RWB and RB cover and Kounde was seen as being able to over these as well as RCB. Yet could not get it over the line.

Inatead we got Cucurella when Chilwell's recovery was still in progress and when we had no LCB as the former plays there too. So at the time it made sense and at least we have decent cover.

I do agree generally we pay over the odds on prospects that rarely deliver. 

Just now, Cicero said:

Giving a manager full say on signings is a disaster. Tuchel wanted Ake and Gordon FFS. 

I posted yesterday that I don't think Tuchel works with Chelsea at all and the sack was coming,  didn't quite see it coming that quickly.   I don't think Tuchel was right for Chelsea but I also think the players he got seem to be "someone elses" players. 

Chelsea need a Diego Simeone type guy,  structure, discipline and commands respect. 

3 minutes ago, OrangeKhrush said:

I posted yesterday that I don't think Tuchel works with Chelsea at all and the sack was coming,  didn't quite see it coming that quickly.   I don't think Tuchel was right for Chelsea but I also think the players he got seem to be "someone elses" players. 

Chelsea need a Diego Simeone type guy,  structure, discipline and commands respect. 

Don't want to go over this again so believe me when I say they were his targets. 

• The title was changed to Thomas Tuchel Sacked by Chelsea; Graham Potter Hired

Archived