• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Thomas Tuchel Sacked by Chelsea; Graham Potter Hired

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, N U F C said:

Looks like it’s going to be Potter.

He’s done a brilliant job at Brighton, can remember the uproar when they sacked Chris Hughton but Potter’s taken them to the next level. On paper their squad isn’t that good either.

I can see him going well at Chelsea.

on paper Trossard, Caciedo, Gross, mac allister looks very good

15 hours ago, Redcanuck said:

I understand Chelsea have been struggling to start the season and perhaps Tuchel is as much to blame as anyone,  but this seems to bit knee jerkey   The new owner looks to be playing fantasy football or football manager.  The problem is who are you going to bring in with a better pedigree than Tuchel?  Potter is the current flavor of the month, but if you are manage a club as big as Chelsea, you need to have won something as a manager and going from Brighton to Chelsea is like going from the mailroom to the Boardroom.  The other name and I believe the favourite is Pochettino,  but what success has he had.   I don't think the new owners have seriously thought this out .

Yes I would say it is knee-jerkey and seems because of the Aubameyang purchase to be a relationship breakdown post match after the Zagreb match.

I would not say Potter is just flavour of the month not that long ago Utd and Spurs fans were calling for him to be given the chance to lead them.

Too early to say he will be a success yet if the football improves and we make top four that would be nice.

• The title was changed to Thomas Tuchel Sacked by Chelsea; Graham Potter Hired
30 minutes ago, Stan said:

Apparently Potter has taken all his coaching and scouting staff with him to Chelsea.

Brighton have been torn apart in that sense. 

Been paid over 20m for them. Brighton we’re quick to let Chelsea talk, so I reckon they have a back up plan. 

• Subscriber
18 hours ago, JoshBRFC said:

Overrated manager. Made out to be something he’s not by the bandwagonners.

Good decision from Chelsea. 

Do you just like trying to be edgy? I dont know anything about how it went with Chelsea this season, clearly not good and maybe he deserved to be fired but calling him overrated is pretty laughable. 

So it's done then... Another story begins.. I wish him well, let's see what he can bring to the table... 

Hope Brighton don't get fucked over as a result as they were doing well for themselves... Also hope Tuchel finds something decent, despite the recent downturn in fortunes on the pitch he was a great frontman for the club during some very difficult times and always came across in a professional manner and it's not like he didn't win anything with us.. Good luck to both.. 

I thought with Tuchel we'd find some level of manager stability, but if anything it proved he's another Mourinho and Conte. We were more progressive in the sense we want to keep the ball, but we were still pragmatic in nature given the way we move it. Slow, lethargic, safe, etc. He was very demanding in the structure and what we did off the ball, which in a sense restricted our ability to attack. It's this type of football that can lose the players sooner or later, as when form goes out so does their confidence. 

It's why Pep and Klopp are so successful. They are demanding but they still keep the players engaged and happy. 

3 hours ago, Viva la FCB said:

Do you just like trying to be edgy? I dont know anything about how it went with Chelsea this season, clearly not good and maybe he deserved to be fired but calling him overrated is pretty laughable. 

Yeah, weird opinion. He has been great at every club, his only problem is his abrasive personality. I'm pretty sure he has a better win % with Dortmund than Klopp and Tuchel coached during the megastar Bayern years.

3 hours ago, Viva la FCB said:

Yeah he only won the most coveted cup trophy in Europe xD

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Spike said:

Yeah he only won the most coveted cup trophy in Europe xD

And it was only a year ago! Hes clearly a bit egotistical and he has his faults like you say but I think its undeniable hes at least a very good manager.  

• Subscriber
8 hours ago, Chickasaw said:

Well for me I'm not sure if "Come to Chelsea and play for Graham Potter" is going to work to attract the big names like Tim Sherwood at Spurs. He isn't on the same level as Tuchel and I think Chelsea will gradually go into a decline.

I don't think players are going for the manager. Pay them enough and they'll come, Chelsea sells itself as well.

8 hours ago, Chickasaw said:

Well for me I'm not sure if "Come to Chelsea and play for Graham Potter" is going to work to attract the big names like Tim Sherwood at Spurs. He isn't on the same level as Tuchel and I think Chelsea will gradually go into a decline.

xD

Got to love fans of the opposition.....

I remember when Abramovich first came and everyone was saying how he would get bored with his new toy after a couple of seasons and then Chelsea would be in the shit without it's sugar daddy. It took a war to remove him 19 years later, Then when he went everyone was hoping we would fall from a great height and be consigned to relegation dogfights but 270Mill has been invested in the squad from the new owners... Now we remove Tuchel and replace him with Potter and we are going into decline... xD

He may be the most recent and probably won't be the last knowing the way we operate but one thing's for sure we will keep fighting for and winning trophies throughout all those ups and downs.... B|

1 hour ago, Bluewolf said:

xD

Got to love fans of the opposition.....

I remember when Abramovich first came and everyone was saying how he would get bored with his new toy after a couple of seasons and then Chelsea would be in the shit without it's sugar daddy. It took a war to remove him 19 years later, Then when he went everyone was hoping we would fall from a great height and be consigned to relegation dogfights but 270Mill has been invested in the squad from the new owners... Now we remove Tuchel and replace him with Potter and we are going into decline... xD

He may be the most recent and probably won't be the last knowing the way we operate but one thing's for sure we will keep fighting for and winning trophies throughout all those ups and downs.... B|

I cannot see Graham Potter maintaining what you have achieved and keeping you at the top. Sorry.

5 hours ago, Chickasaw said:

I cannot see Graham Potter maintaining what you have achieved and keeping you at the top. Sorry.

I think what needs to be considered is what comes after Tuchel.. 

It might seem initially like Boehly is following in the footsteps of Abramovich with his cutthroat axing of Tuchel but if reports are to be believed Tuchel was a bit of a stubborn individual who lacked flexibility and a willingness to operate outside of his first team responsibilities. It's very probable that during the rebuilding process this summer that he was also not very happy with our transfer business despite the outlay he continued to say "We are not ready for the season" and that we would be competitive but at what level remains to be seen.

He has probably come across as a pretty demanding individual and was unwilling to bend or listen to other ideas other than his own and although I think the Manager should be supported he should also be getting better results for the outlay than he has. I will credit Tuchel with riding the storm of the past few months and the constant questions he was bombarded with when Abramovich stepped down because it was him on the frontline and he still had to keep the team motivated under difficult circumstances and uncertainty. 

Now the dust has settled I don't think that Tuchel shares the Boehly vision for the future with regards to his role within the club and maybe Boehly has acted swiftly to prevent the situation deteriorating further. There were issues with the Ronaldo signing and players not being happy along with any other personal clashes that might have gone on behind the scenes and if you add our current performances on the pitch it does not bode well for the future.

I think that Boehly has picked Potter because he is a long term project Manager who shares the same vision and ideas, He has done well with Brighton over the last 3 seasons improving them each season and that's on a shoestring budget compared to ours so with more resources available to him who knows what he might achieve. Sure, he may not be a Tuchel, Mourinho or an Ancelotti in the experience department but if backed and has sustained long term backing then it's possible he could build something decent for the future. 

It is a gamble I will grant you, It's a big ask and responsibility for him and his experience at times might fail him on occasion especially in those big European games and results may be a bit hit and miss but if we can break away from this constant managerial culling and try for something more long term this time it could be worth it as long as he is the right man for the job so let's see what happens first before we see whether he can cut the mustard or not.. His appointment is also going to tell us a lot more about Boehly and how he plans to run things in the long term

Chelsea really should be looking at hiring a higher calibre of manager than Potter. Graham Potter is a young manager who doesn't have the experience required or the resume expected, in order to manage a huge club like Chelsea.

He started his managerial career in Sweden as manager of Ostersund, where he achieved relative success, most notably leading them to winning the Swedish Cup in 2017. However, doing relatively well as manager in the Swedish League, is nothing in comparison to managing a top tier club in England. Potter went on to manage Swansea City after he left Ostersund. He spent a year in Wales, where he did ok as Swansea manager, but he wasn't amazing by any stretch of the imagination. However, Swansea finished 10th that season and a strong run at the end of the season by the club, got Brighton looking at hiring Potter as their manager. Potter indeed went on to join Brighton, where again he did ok. But if we look at his overall record in the 4 years that he has managed in British football, he hasn't been outstanding by any means in my opinion.

He is still quite inexperienced and he hasn't proven that much as a manager. All he has won with the clubs that he has managed is the Swedish Cup. Surely Chelsea should have looked to hire a more elite manager, one with a CV that showed success of winning meaningful trophies. An experienced and highly decorated manager is who Chelsea should have hired. Instead they've given Potter the chance, a young manager who hasn't achieved much in his relatively short career as manager. I'm not saying that there is no way that Potter will do well as Chelsea manager, but I do think that they could have gotten a much more decorated manager, an elite and proven manager. 

6 hours ago, Michael said:

Chelsea really should be looking at hiring a higher calibre of manager than Potter. Graham Potter is a young manager who doesn't have the experience required or the resume expected, in order to manage a huge club like Chelsea.

He started his managerial career in Sweden as manager of Ostersund, where he achieved relative success, most notably leading them to winning the Swedish Cup in 2017. However, doing relatively well as manager in the Swedish League, is nothing in comparison to managing a top tier club in England. Potter went on to manage Swansea City after he left Ostersund. He spent a year in Wales, where he did ok as Swansea manager, but he wasn't amazing by any stretch of the imagination. However, Swansea finished 10th that season and a strong run at the end of the season by the club, got Brighton looking at hiring Potter as their manager. Potter indeed went on to join Brighton, where again he did ok. But if we look at his overall record in the 4 years that he has managed in British football, he hasn't been outstanding by any means in my opinion.

He is still quite inexperienced and he hasn't proven that much as a manager. All he has won with the clubs that he has managed is the Swedish Cup. Surely Chelsea should have looked to hire a more elite manager, one with a CV that showed success of winning meaningful trophies. An experienced and highly decorated manager is who Chelsea should have hired. Instead they've given Potter the chance, a young manager who hasn't achieved much in his relatively short career as manager. I'm not saying that there is no way that Potter will do well as Chelsea manager, but I do think that they could have gotten a much more decorated manager, an elite and proven manager. 

You forgot the part where he took Ostersund from the 4th tier of Swedish football to the Europa League in 6 seasons. And no, I am not quoting Jay Cartwright. 😂

It's a big step up and a huge gamble, but if Potter from the beginning was seen as the man that would be a part of Boehly's long term vision, I would feel a lot more comfortable. Instead, Boehly spent all summer getting Tuchel's targets tailored for Tuchel's system. Bad results came and alleged turmoil within the dressing and board room, and Tuchel was sacked. 

This screams panic and I can't see it ending well at all. 

Archived