talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Football Manager 2023

football forum

I bought FM23 but I can comfortably say that this is my last purchase - I've had every one since 2013 when I moved from FIFA Manager and this edition is just taking the piss to put it bluntly. FM became so massive because it was a welcome alternative to FIFA which stagnated and stagnated from little to no innovation, which makes it all the more frustrating that this is exactly what the FM series has now become. There isn't anything upgraded this year and licencing isn't a new feature when you've had mods active for years and years.

Absolutely shite.

Played around with a couple of saves. Birmingham City in The Championship is hard. Real hard. You're effectively selling 14m worth of talent a season just to avoid administration. I lasted two and a half seasons before the board sacked me. On the flip side, Derby County and Crawley felt far too easy once they got used to Gegenpress 4-3-3 systems which is what I hated about old FM's.

• Subscriber

I've admitted defeat with the pentagon, I'm too far off and the game just runs so painfully slowly now. It's a shame but I'll be back for another attempt one time, maybe even on 23 if circumstance allows!

This time I'm going for another long term save. I think I have the patience to see something out for years, particularly after that save because it took some serious patience at times, so I just wanted to start in the worst league in a country I've either never done, or not done for ages. I put forward four choices and I threw it onto Twitter for a poll.

Portugal, Germany and Holland were put forward, but the niche option I sneaked on of Norway overwhelmingly took the vote and here I am, in the third tier of Norway, at the most northern club in the world.

Welcome to Alta.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber

Promoted first season as champions. Would've been hard to go up if we hadn't won the league though - would've needed to have beaten 2nd place in the southern league over two legs and then won away at the team who finished 3rd bottom of the 2nd tier.

Was largely spearheaded by a striker I had on loan from Finland called Tamminen. We're a bit chaotic but we score loads. I have a very good midfield for my level albeit a very old one too. I'm aiming to buy almost exclusively under 25 players - infact my entire scouting focus has been on 15-25 year olds of which I'll likely just sign ones on frees from the rest of Scandinavia plus maybe Latvia and Lithuania, but I will grow this to worldwide eventually when I have the money.

Doesn't help our case that my best two players in my opinion (Tamminen and Trige) are both on loan and both not likely to be back here next season.

Been given a healthy wage budget for next season. Treble what it is this season and I've already managed to secure a decent young Latvian midfielder on a free for a similar wage to what I've been paying out to players this season, so I think we'll get a tidy squad together and with that I expect us to survive, but we'll see. I'm not keeping the goals out as well as I was on 22.

image.png

image.png

image.png

• Upvote 2

On 21/11/2022 at 21:52, Dan said:

I've admitted defeat with the pentagon, I'm too far off and the game just runs so painfully slowly now. It's a shame but I'll be back for another attempt one time, maybe even on 23 if circumstance allows!

This time I'm going for another long term save. I think I have the patience to see something out for years, particularly after that save because it took some serious patience at times, so I just wanted to start in the worst league in a country I've either never done, or not done for ages. I put forward four choices and I threw it onto Twitter for a poll.

Portugal, Germany and Holland were put forward, but the niche option I sneaked on of Norway overwhelmingly took the vote and here I am, in the third tier of Norway, at the most northern club in the world.

Welcome to Alta.

I did Alta last year, they were a really fun save. They also had Morten Gamst Pederson last season who was really fun to use (in real life he left for a second division side). I managed to build a young Norwegian squad, but mixed that in with the truly batshit crazy signing of a 39 year old Carlos Tevez.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

I did Alta last year, they were a really fun save. They also had Morten Gamst Pederson last season who was really fun to use (in real life he left for a second division side). I managed to build a young Norwegian squad, but mixed that in with the truly batshit crazy signing of a 39 year old Carlos Tevez.

My aim at Alta was to sign a load of youngsters but it's really not all that easy. So I've signed a few upon my promotion to the 2nd tier but I've then realised two things that's going to lead to a change in approach. So the first is you can only basically have 9 foreign players, which is tricky because I intended on scouting basically everywhere. I've signed a few foreign players and I'm back into a scenario where I'm going to have to save those spaces for pretty key players now rather than squad fillers. The other issue is there's just simply no money to be made this way. I have a good young striker called Peder Brekke, scored a few in both the 3rd and 2nd tier but if I lose him I'll probably see £20k for him. It's paltry and it doesn't change anything. So I'm just going to go for shorter term deals for now and I'll get on the young prospects if I get promoted to the top tier.

Played my second season as well.

image.png

It was tough but we scraped survival. Definitely think on this evidence this is a little tricker than FM22, although I also think I underestimated some of the teams in this league. We didn't win an away game all season. We were largely poor but we were predicted to go down and didn't, so onwards and upwards.

On 29/11/2022 at 23:16, Tommy said:

I couldn't get into this. Started with Fortuna, a Gladbach save, Palermo... and never really enjoyed it.

Now I started a save in Poland's 2nd division with Chrobry Glogow, and I'm enjoying it. 

A little follow-up on that. The team was predicted to finish 13th. 

I just managed to get them promoted in the first season. 

This is one of my best achievements on FM so far. xD

Next season is going to be a bitch though. That club has no money at all. xD

1.png

2.png

Unbenannt.png

• Subscriber
On 03/12/2022 at 21:58, Dan said:

My aim at Alta was to sign a load of youngsters but it's really not all that easy. So I've signed a few upon my promotion to the 2nd tier but I've then realised two things that's going to lead to a change in approach. So the first is you can only basically have 9 foreign players, which is tricky because I intended on scouting basically everywhere. I've signed a few foreign players and I'm back into a scenario where I'm going to have to save those spaces for pretty key players now rather than squad fillers. The other issue is there's just simply no money to be made this way. I have a good young striker called Peder Brekke, scored a few in both the 3rd and 2nd tier but if I lose him I'll probably see £20k for him. It's paltry and it doesn't change anything. So I'm just going to go for shorter term deals for now and I'll get on the young prospects if I get promoted to the top tier.

Played my second season as well.

image.png

It was tough but we scraped survival. Definitely think on this evidence this is a little tricker than FM22, although I also think I underestimated some of the teams in this league. We didn't win an away game all season. We were largely poor but we were predicted to go down and didn't, so onwards and upwards.

The miracle of 2024. Alta are promoted!

image.png

Genuinely did not expect anything like that. We made a bright start and we just kept it going, we've become superb at edging games out which is something I always aim for. We've become a lot tougher to break down on the back of reruiting an entire new back line and numerous players throughout the side. We are in the Eliteserien!

I think we'll likely be chewed up and spat out back to the second tier but nothing bad can come from this. I've been good at lower leagues on previous FMs but last season was tricky and made me think this one would be a lot harder to get out of, but we've done it, pipping several sides with better teams than I have to the prize.

Two things happened immediately upon promotion. We became professional, and we were booted out of Alta. Our ground only held 1,250 which is below the minimum, so we've got to play five hours away in Tromso at third tier Tromsdalen's stadium. What I don't understand is that Bossekop, a fourth tier side based in Alta, for some reason have a ground that holds 4,000 but we've not opted to just play there. Also baffling how the fourth tier side has the bigger ground.

The hope is we get a new stadium built.

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

After hardly playing FM23 since release on the basis of how much of a pisstake and how shit it is, I've decided to take the plunge back into this years game to try and justify the money that I spent on it. 

I've always fancied the idea of taking 1860 München from the depths of the 3. Liga all the way to the top (eventually toppling Bayern) so that's where I am at the moment. We've got fuck all to spend and all my best players already want the leave as they're attracting attention from Bundesliga clubs. My aim is to throw as many bottles as possible to keep these ungrateful shits in place and hopefully get promotion in the first season to generate enough cash to build a team capable of climbing the German ladder. 

Wish me well.

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
On 15/12/2022 at 17:18, Dan said:

The miracle of 2024. Alta are promoted!

image.png

Genuinely did not expect anything like that. We made a bright start and we just kept it going, we've become superb at edging games out which is something I always aim for. We've become a lot tougher to break down on the back of reruiting an entire new back line and numerous players throughout the side. We are in the Eliteserien!

I think we'll likely be chewed up and spat out back to the second tier but nothing bad can come from this. I've been good at lower leagues on previous FMs but last season was tricky and made me think this one would be a lot harder to get out of, but we've done it, pipping several sides with better teams than I have to the prize.

Two things happened immediately upon promotion. We became professional, and we were booted out of Alta. Our ground only held 1,250 which is below the minimum, so we've got to play five hours away in Tromso at third tier Tromsdalen's stadium. What I don't understand is that Bossekop, a fourth tier side based in Alta, for some reason have a ground that holds 4,000 but we've not opted to just play there. Also baffling how the fourth tier side has the bigger ground.

The hope is we get a new stadium built.

Can't go into too much detail as I've forgotten bits but I'll drop an overview of each season I've played here. I'm up to 2032 now so there's a lot. I like keeping these things logged a bit as it's a nice bit of reading occasionally...

2025 season

Up we are with the smallest ground in the division, the smallest wage budget, everything you name it. We're firmly expected to go back down but I have other ideas. We make numerous signings, mainly loans and frees. We're ridiculously handed three away games to start and lose the opening two both in injury time - a good sign that we aren't 'totally' out of our depth even if it's pretty gutting, before then astoundingly going and winning away at Brann with 10 men, our first win at this level. We recruit a bit of a gem in Brazilian winger Glauber Serrao on a free.

We look in big trouble for large parts only winning 2 of our first 15 games, but it all turns in August as we win 4 in 5, including a shock 0-2 win at league leaders Molde. We end up surviving completely comfortably to my amazement - the second half of the season we seemed to really find our feet and the new signings all clicked.

I choose to adopt a transfer policy of cherry picking promising youngsters from the lower leagues as the 9 non-homegrown limit means we are going to need a few Norwegians in our squad and this was the most cost effective way to do it. Foundations being laid.

image.png

image.png
image.png

• Subscriber
21 minutes ago, Dan said:

Can't go into too much detail as I've forgotten bits but I'll drop an overview of each season I've played here. I'm up to 2032 now so there's a lot. I like keeping these things logged a bit as it's a nice bit of reading occasionally...

2025 season

Up we are with the smallest ground in the division, the smallest wage budget, everything you name it. We're firmly expected to go back down but I have other ideas. We make numerous signings, mainly loans and frees. We're ridiculously handed three away games to start and lose the opening two both in injury time - a good sign that we aren't 'totally' out of our depth even if it's pretty gutting, before then astoundingly going and winning away at Brann with 10 men, our first win at this level. We recruit a bit of a gem in Brazilian winger Glauber Serrao on a free.

We look in big trouble for large parts only winning 2 of our first 15 games, but it all turns in August as we win 4 in 5, including a shock 0-2 win at league leaders Molde. We end up surviving completely comfortably to my amazement - the second half of the season we seemed to really find our feet and the new signings all clicked.

I choose to adopt a transfer policy of cherry picking promising youngsters from the lower leagues as the 9 non-homegrown limit means we are going to need a few Norwegians in our squad and this was the most cost effective way to do it. Foundations being laid.

image.png

image.png
image.png

2026 season

Another weak start albeit not quite as bad as last years, where it's obvious the ambition is about staying up again. We develop a strange knack for winning away at Tromso and Brann - both were won at last season in surprise circumstances and both happen again. We start to look in trouble but we have another very good second half of the season and secure a very unexpected 8th placed finish. Lots of the youngsters signed from the lower leagues are incorporated into my reserve side with a couple of them stepping in for first team action. We can't rely on our youth team at all currently. We don't spend a penny on transfers this year.

image.png

image.png

The sad thing is we aren't really generating any incoming money either. Lykke from Nordsjaelland is another coup from us though, a really good goalkeeper who I'm amazed they've let us have for nothing. Our hands are a bit tied until we start taking some proper money for our players though. We generate virtually nothing in revenue.

• The topic was unpinned