talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Donald Trump

football forum

2 hours ago, Inti Brian said:

I know what you mean, but I think it's pathetic that a country as powerful as the States doesn't have the highest quality of life. The weather is pleasant, it's massive and very diverse, there is good pay in most of the country, it functions and the language is universal. Something the likes of Saudi Arabia, Japan, and Singapore lack. 

With that much power, you should at least aspire to be better than your northern neighbour who ironically has a higher quality of life in pretty much every field. And to be fair, it was genuinely that way before 9/11. After the accident is when the country started to fall in my eyes. 

Shame Obama was so poorly treated by some because I genuinely do think he was a good president.

The sad thing with Obama is that he was so badly stonewalled by Congress.

The checks and balances in America for a president who respects norms and rules against hostile political opponents in both houses of Congress make it very hard for a good president to get any good done.

I can't see America being fixed until the democrats hold the presidency and Congress long enough to turn around the conservative majorities on the judicial benches throughout the country and particularly in the Supreme Court. With the number of judges Trump's appointed that will take two decades.

Events in Florida in 2000 for me will stand as the biggest sliding doors moment in Modern American history.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Harry said:

The sad thing with Obama is that he was so badly stonewalled by Congress.

The checks and balances in America for a president who respects norms and rules against hostile political opponents in both houses of Congress make it very hard for a good president to get any good done.

I can't see America being fixed until the democrats hold the presidency and Congress long enough to turn around the conservative majorities on the judicial benches throughout the country and particularly in the Supreme Court. With the number of judges Trump's appointed that will take two decades.

Events in Florida in 2000 for me will stand as the biggest sliding doors moment in Modern American history.

I can’t see America recovering from this quickly. There’s 40 million unemployed and counting, coronavirus is running rampant and with no real national response... and now massive protesting due to huge groups of the US population not trusting their police officers won’t kill them. That’s economic crisis, a social/racial crisis, and a public health crisis.

As someone who moved here from a different country, it’s been very surreal for the last 4 years seeing things change and watching it all come crashing down like this spectacularly. It’s like getting a front row seat in watching a country deteriorate.

The scenes on the news tonight are absolutely fucking mental. These riots are insane.

4 hours ago, Inti Brian said:

But I do have something against people who suck up to them as if they were still the greatest country there is. I have a lot of Peruvian friends who would love to live in the USA and hate living in Peru but I don't understand why. 

Same here these people irk me out, sure there was a time when US was really great for making a better life 1980-2006 despite it's problems but it's been massively outpaced by countries you've just mentioned.

5 hours ago, Azeem said:

Same here these people irk me out, sure there was a time when US was really great for making a better life 1980-2006 despite it's problems but it's been massively outpaced by countries you've just mentioned.

xD the US was great for making a better life in the 80s? Reagan’s a big reason America’s the way it is today and part of the reason why the wealth gap in America is massive.

I think America’s just never really addressed some issues for decades (for racism, you might even say since their civil war) & political rhetoric in this modern age is hyper partisan and extreme as fuck, with a corrupt government that’s exacerbated these issues radically in the last 4 years. So now it’s all boiling over.

9 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

xD the US was great for making a better life in the 80s? Reagan’s a big reason America’s the way it is today and part of the reason why the wealth gap in America is massive.

I mean for people from countries like ours third world, US was much better then shit back at home.

5 minutes ago, Azeem said:

I mean for people from countries like ours third world, US was much better then shit back at home.

Lol yeah alright mate, tell that to Iran and South American countries that got absolutely fucked by the US in that time period. Oh and Afghanistan and Iraq. Or to any Palestinian.

America’s always been fairly militant and imperialistic. Look at the Monroe doctrine and how the US decided anything that happens in North or South America is the US’s business. That’s from the early 1800s. And America’s not even that old of a country, but has been in military conflicts for something ridiculous like 222 years. That’s the vast majority of its time as a country.

This is the kind of thing that pisses me off about those aping the USA. Toronto apparently is also protesting now.

For christs sake, we are in a different country who has never had issues with race. Get a fucking grip.

People are bringing up Trudeau Blackface now even though that was a chapter from the past. Luckily these people aren't protesting for Floyd but rather something that happened here, so it makes more sense now. 

Those who are protesting and defending those because we should "defend American issues" makes me want to log off the internet for a day. It's grinding my gears. A lot.

• Administrator
8 hours ago, Inti Brian said:

This is the kind of thing that pisses me off about those aping the USA. Toronto apparently is also protesting now.

For christs sake, we are in a different country who has never had issues with race. Get a fucking grip.

Regardless of your post that followed this, are people not allowed to protest in support of the victims then, just because it's a different country? Can they not protest against injustice in another place, no matter the country or how close/far you are from it? 

Just cos you've never had issues with race does that mean no Canadian is allowed to protest? What about Canadians that have family or friends who are black and live in America? 

Black lives matter doesn't just apply to America. Racism isn't just prevalent in America either. 

1 hour ago, Stan said:

Regardless of your post that followed this, are people not allowed to protest in support of the victims then, just because it's a different country? Can they not protest against injustice in another place, no matter the country or how close/far you are from it? 

Just cos you've never had issues with race does that mean no Canadian is allowed to protest? What about Canadians that have family or friends who are black and live in America? 

Black lives matter doesn't just apply to America. Racism isn't just prevalent in America either. 

No one said they can't support the victims. I think what happened to George Floyd was an atrocity. If the people in Toronto were protesting over his death, it wouldn't have made sense as we've got our own problems and I can guarantee you if riots broke out for similar reasons in South America, no one would have done anything here. Hence why it pisses me off.

As I said though, the protests were over someone else's death. Black woman who got killed by an officer last week. There is some more context and it makes sense. 

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

No one said they can't support the victims. I think what happened to George Floyd was an atrocity. If the people in Toronto were protesting over his death, it wouldn't have made sense as we've got our own problems and I can guarantee you if riots broke out for similar reasons in South America, no one would have done anything here. Hence why it pisses me off.

As I said though, the protests were over someone else's death. Black woman who got killed by an officer last week. There is some more context and it makes sense. 

I know, but it seems that if that black woman wasn't killed, you'd still be aggrieved that Toronto were protesting. 

Just now, Stan said:

I know, but it seems that if that black woman wasn't killed, you'd still be aggrieved that Toronto were protesting. 

It's because the whole world shouldn't tear their own country to the ground if a black person gets killed in the States.

Every country has their own racial problems, different from each other. But because it happened in the USA, it's getting all the media attention. Again, if this happened in South America, no one would have supported them here. 

Support is fine, but it's not fair on the governments of your own country who haven't done anything nor does it make sense as your country has your own problems. South Africa and Zimbabwe to me are a big example where there was huge racial inequality. Both towards the whites and the blacks in their respective moments.

Protests over here now as well.... 

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/other/protesters-demonstrate-in-london-following-killing-of-george-floyd/vi-BB14OX2P?ocid=spartan-ntp-feeds

I have seen quite a bit of footage of Police being heavy handed where it's not necessary in the States and even more so now... They all seem to have taken a 'Dirty Harry' approach to proceedings... I mean take a look at this, going down what seems a fairly quiet street with no-one around and still decide to start firing at people standing on their own porch??? 

https://9gag.com/gag/a9nYbbo

9 hours ago, Bluewolf said:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/other/protesters-demonstrate-in-london-following-killing-of-george-floyd/vi-BB14OX2P?ocid=spartan-ntp-feeds

I have seen quite a bit of footage of Police being heavy handed where it's not necessary in the States and even more so now... They all seem to have taken a 'Dirty Harry' approach to proceedings... I mean take a look at this, going down what seems a fairly quiet street with no-one around and still decide to start firing at people standing on their own porch??? 

Ridiculous.

Why can't they just show solidarity? That's totally fine in supporting the USA protests. But don't burn your country to the ground for something that happened elsewhere. I didn't see this solidarity shown when Chile, Bolivia and Hong Kong were tearing their country to the ground not too long ago.

It's totally silly to protest about social issues in another country when the UK has it's own problems and different racial issues to the USA. Same with Canada, same with every country in the world.

21 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

No one is doing that here, mostly noisy but non violent protests so far... 

Some people are actually daisy's. I just got into a debate on Twitter and they are mad at me for not protesting as well as German players not being supportive to black players showing solidarity.

I am fully for fighting racism but for the most part I don't want to get involved in protests. I don't like talking politics either usually. There are lots of people who would rather not get involved in this world. Doesn't mean they aren't supportive. There is no proof that the German white players aren't supporting their teammate by not having a shirt of George Floyd underneath.

9 hours ago, Bluewolf said:

Soggy Baguettes, a week ago they’re probably clapping key worker norms they’re ignoring social distancing to shout “fuck the police” at them. 

and before somebody says we clap the NHS, that’s a slap in the face of the NHS. 

on Rest of the world chiming in, its virtue signalling pure and simple, I bet 99% of the most tweeting #blacklivesmatter outside of the US couldn’t talk you through the US judicial process with a gun to their heads but hey ho shows they think their not racist. 

Antifa have taken advantage of this civil disobedience and incited full scale rioting, I think they’ve shot their load now though because they’ve been designated a terrorist organisation and their leaders and funders will be in the cross hairs of the bureau. 

On topic obviously a shame for this guy’s family He’s been unlawfully killed there’s no doubt about, the office involved is going down however if I was his lawyer I’d be lobbying for zero chance of an impartial trial after this mess. 

Police brutality is bad but I can't say I like anyone's reaction to it... coming out and saying "police brutality is bad and so is looting" will probably have the angry mob coming after you. American politics is wall to wall shit.

Can see why people are protesting in London today, would have happily joined them under normal circumstances but I live in a house amongst vulnerable people, myself included.

The problem with the pandemic is you cannot use it to prevent protests, for most of the country the pandemic is the biggest thing on our minds. For a lot of ethnic minorities it is just another problem added to the problems they have to deal with on a day to day basis.

The pandemic has already increased stop and searches on “BAME” people here, we have incarceration issues disproportionately effecting people from “BAME” backgrounds...also as equally important George Floyd didn’t die because he was African-American he died because he was black. That is a pain that will resonate with black people around the world and should resonate with others too, even if it can’t fully be comprehended. Protest and let America and each state know that the world is watching and demanding answers.

1 hour ago, 6666 said:

Police brutality is bad but I can't say I like anyone's reaction to it... coming out and saying "police brutality is bad and so is looting" will probably have the angry mob coming after you. American politics is wall to wall shit.

There's been some absolutely amazing speeches from people saying just that. Below are two of the most powerful I've seen so far.

• The title was changed to Donald Trump

Archived