• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Donald Trump

football forum

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Inverted said:

Improving wages for Reps makes perfect sense from a lobbying standpoint, I don't get the outrage.The benefit to someone taking corporate money is negligible, whereas it helps people who run clean campaigns immensely. 

And would it have been better for her not to visit the border? Is it only Pence et al who should go, and the opposition shouldn't be trying to draw attention to it and creating awareness of their side of the argument? You have a funny idea of opposition. 

Also, Homeland Security has existed for less than 20 years. The US can absolutely live without it. The fact that you take it for granted that it's some indispensable part of the state shows how desperately it is needed for someone to point out this simple fact. Again, sounds like the kind of thing an opposition figure should be doing. 

For the best part of the last 30 years, the Dems have tried to win by moving closer to the GOP, and every time the GOP has just pulled further away to the right. 

The fact that some people have finally come along who can win elections, build a base, and who finally question this strategy and offer alternatives, has driven everyone insane. In fact, all that has happened is that an actual opposition has finally emerged. 

Listen to her interview with the journalist regarding the pay rise. For a politician whose whole persona is created around being non-corrupt and doing the correct thing without any favours, to then stating 'well give us a pay rise or we become corrupt' is a terrible argument. Even she herself looked slightly embarrassed as she stuttered with that answer. 

There is nothing wrong in going to the border or highlighting that situation. My point was never that. My point was the cringe worthy photoshoot. It screams about making it all about herself. 

Regarding homeland security. I know even some Republicans were against it. I never stated that it's indispensable. But in today's climate asking the agency that protects your country to reform is better than to shout it to shut down. Of course, we can disagree on that. 

Now for the last part which even @Dr. Gonzo highlighted. All fine in creating an actual left base in Democrats which largely had centre-right candidates in Hillary or even Obama. But there is a way to achieve that, and that should not be by demonising others, which you have to admit these four regularly do. People do the same with them, and its just as equally unacceptable. But they are doing nothing to calm down the rhetoric. A man attacked an ICE branch. He was driven by the rhetoric peddled out by these four, just as a rightwing extremist is driven by Trump's rhetoric.

Both Trump and the squad conduct themselves in confrontational manner which has ruined the discourse- which was already lowered by the media. And it continues to go downhill. They both incite their supporters to hate the other side or even people who slightly differ in their thinking. 

The likes of Sanders and Gabbard are also progressive candidates with progressive policies. Look how they present their ideas or even criticise the wrong without lowering the quality of debate or inciting their supporters. 

2 minutes ago, Stick With Azeem said:

They asked him about the Rohingya crisis he said where is that ? Someone said it's near Burma xD Myanmar is Burma ffs

I get why you’re laughing mate and those sorts of things make me do the same most of the time but in the end I always get shivers going down my spine because he (Trump) is a product of his surroundings (society). He isn’t unique, he hasn’t invented stupidity through ignorance and neither does he believe what he says because he himself is led. Stupid people don’t lead, they are manufactured and then they do the inevitable, stupid things in a position of power.

On 19/07/2019 at 08:30, IgnisExcubitor said:

Listen to her interview with the journalist regarding the pay rise. For a politician whose whole persona is created around being non-corrupt and doing the correct thing without any favours, to then stating 'well give us a pay rise or we become corrupt' is a terrible argument. Even she herself looked slightly embarrassed as she stuttered with that answer. 

There is nothing wrong in going to the border or highlighting that situation. My point was never that. My point was the cringe worthy photoshoot. It screams about making it all about herself. 

Regarding homeland security. I know even some Republicans were against it. I never stated that it's indispensable. But in today's climate asking the agency that protects your country to reform is better than to shout it to shut down. Of course, we can disagree on that

Now for the last part which even @Dr. Gonzo highlighted. All fine in creating an actual left base in Democrats which largely had centre-right candidates in Hillary or even Obama. But there is a way to achieve that, and that should not be by demonising others, which you have to admit these four regularly do. People do the same with them, and its just as equally unacceptable. But they are doing nothing to calm down the rhetoric. A man attacked an ICE branch. He was driven by the rhetoric peddled out by these four, just as a rightwing extremist is driven by Trump's rhetoric.

Both Trump and the squad conduct themselves in confrontational manner which has ruined the discourse- which was already lowered by the media. And it continues to go downhill. They both incite their supporters to hate the other side or even people who slightly differ in their thinking. 

The likes of Sanders and Gabbard are also progressive candidates with progressive policies. Look how they present their ideas or even criticise the wrong without lowering the quality of debate or inciting their supporters. 

No that's just logic. Lower pay incentivises people to look for alternative sources of income. Higher pay decreases that likelihood. Stating this general truth in no way impacts her own personal stance. 

If not getting higher pay led to her accepting dodgy donors, she'd already be accepting dodgy donors. I don't get what's hard to grasp, beyond the typical "politician pay rise=bad" mentality that's popular. 

And I don't get how a politician can personally go all the way from Washington DC to Texas to personally speak to detained migrants, and not in some sense draw some attention to themselves. Whether you construe their motive as genuine or self-serving depends on whether you have a pre-existing dislike or suspicion for them.

As for DHS, yeah that's the whole debate. Can an agency which was formed with zero scrutiny or real legitimacy, regularly commits human rights abuses, harasses racial minorities near-exclusively and has been shown to be riddled with racists and sadists, be reformed?

Ok, some people are idealists and think so. I think it's good to hear some people float the possibility that it's beyond fixing and that things worked fine 20 years ago. Which for the most part, they did. 

That's the whole point of a functioning democracy - sometimes the opposition needs to challenge things which everyone accepts as conventional wisdom, particularly when that wisdom doesn't seem very wise. I don't get why it annoys you for them not to blindly swallow the government line, when they're the opposition. 

And again, I don't get what's wrong with demonising others. Trump and the alt-right should be demonised. What did Obama say -  "they go low and we go high"?. Well that sounds nice, but in practice it's become "they relentlessly smear us as godless, communist demons, we smile and say how much we want to bridge the gap with them, and they win everything". 

Non-confrontational politics only works if both sides make it work. If the other side is fighting like hell to destroy you, then non-confrontation becomes capitulation. 

Bernie and Warren are extremely provocative too when necessary. To criticise young inexperienced politicians for not being as refined as people with a lifetime in campaigning is ridiculous, particularly when AOC for example puts enormous effort into clearly communicating on complex policy issues, and does a shitload of committee work, often engaging deeply with a wide range of topics. 

I am appealing to each and every one of you to read this Twitter thread by clicking on it. Reading it in its totality. I think it’s extremely important for everyone no matter what your ideological stance on the political spectrum. Don’t be lethargic, don’t be a headline bod and think it’s enough to just settle for what you see already. Please, please read it and do it with a clear and clean mind. Maybe have a glass of clean water before you do this would be an idea.

THIS...

Did anyone watch the Mueller testimony?

I stuck with it for about an hour. It seems to have frustrated everyone on all sides.

It seems very clear cut though that trump's obstructed justice via interference with his investigation, yet he can't be charged?

A different shade of the offence for which Nixon was impeached but for Trump nothing will happen?

I'm not even keen to see Trump replaced by pence tbh but it is pretty concerning that American politics is now so polarised that one side would turn a blind eye and view such matters as a political choice. Republicans cling on for the sake of their tax cuts and judicial appointments... So many worrying precedents being set

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

I stuck with it for about an hour. It seems to have frustrated everyone on all sides.

It seems very clear cut though that trump's obstructed justice via interference with his investigation, yet he can't be charged?

A different shade of the offence for which Nixon was impeached but for Trump nothing will happen?

I'm not even keen to see Trump replaced by pence tbh but it is pretty concerning that American politics is now so polarised that one side would turn a blind eye and view such matters as a political choice. Republicans cling on for the sake of their tax cuts and judicial appointments... So many worrying precedents being set

Does it matter mate?

Here in the UK we KNOW there was fraud, corruption, lies and deception with the Leaving the EU campaign and yet it’s as if nothing.

Get used to the times we’re living in.

13 minutes ago, Harry said:

That's one of most hating comments I've seen from him

Well to be honest i wouldn't blame that solely on Trump, as @SirBalon said the majority of the US population are very insular and don't fully know what's going on in the world and how US is involved in it. 

US is in a Vietnam like situation in Afghanistan, and just like Vietnam they would never want the public to know that ' they are losing the war ' and getting nothing out of it so Trump saying i could win it in a week is just to let everyone believe it's not that bad but we want to solve it for mutual interest of everyone.

Here is what a Marine vet is saying about the Afghan war. 

2 hours ago, Stick With Azeem said:

Well to be honest i wouldn't blame that solely on Trump, as @SirBalon said the majority of the US population are very insular and don't fully know what's going on in the world and how US is involved in it. 

US is in a Vietnam like situation in Afghanistan, and just like Vietnam they would never want the public to know that ' they are losing the war ' and getting nothing out of it so Trump saying i could win it in a week is just to let everyone believe it's not that bad but we want to solve it for mutual interest of everyone.

Here is what a Marine vet is saying about the Afghan war. 

That’s part of what “Populism” is all about mate. Trump doesn’t give a shit about that and it’s all about feeding his masses what they crave for. It’s divisive and destructive but remember that large swathes of almost any nation’s population tends to be uneducated in the fundamental aspects of humanity and understanding which means there’s a cesspit that’s been brewing for decades due to being forgotten and now being made to feel as if they’re being heard and important while at the same time every legislation created or amended is pitted against them.

7 hours ago, Harry said:

Republicans are either compromised and in on it with Russia, or they have less integrity than they did in the 70s, or some mix of both.

I blame TV news. These 24 hour news channels have dumbed down the western world.

• Administrator
Just now, Teso dos Bichos said:

The response by The Baltimore Sun editorial is fucking gold. Such a great job by the editorial board that didnt hold back like Twitter's big dick slingers... 

The best part was on the editorial was the end... they(people of baltimore) would rather be infested by a few rodents that to be one(Trump):rofl:

Just about to post this. Quite emotive!

9 minutes ago, 6666 said:

The man is ridiculous but what does that make his supporters?

Mostly ignorant. 

I loved Obama and still do, but with every candidate you meet supporters that are a little 'too' much and just brain washed really. 

• Subscriber

I genuinely think some Trump supporters just do the mental gymnastics to allow themselves to believe stuff that he comes out with so that they can use it to justify their support, rather than have to deal with the internal conflict or other peoples opinions of whether they're racist or right wing or the other taboo things that are probably why they actually support him in the first place that a part of them would still feel slightly guilty about if they allowed themselves to realise that that's the real reason they support him.

• The title was changed to Donald Trump

Archived