talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

All Quiet on the Western Front (Netflix)

football forum

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • The title was changed to All Quiet on the Western Front (Netflix)
  • 1 month later...

Just watched it. Can't remember ever watching an anti war film before. So it was unlike any wars I have seen before.

Its brutal at times, some of the things that happen I didn't even know happened during ww1 like flame throwers.

Its a very good film though I'd give it 9/10

1 minute ago, Cicero said:

Yeah its pretty good. Directed very well and beautiful cinematography. 

They changed the ending though which bothered me. 

Yeah I read about that. He was trying to touch a butterfly or something in the original story and got shot?? Personally I liked that ending because it was so poignant but each to their own.

48 minutes ago, Gunnersaurus said:

Yeah I read about that. He was trying to touch a butterfly or something in the original story and got shot?? Personally I liked that ending because it was so poignant but each to their own.

I don't remember a butterfly but I remember him dying from gas. He had a happy expression on his dead face, almost as if he was glad the end had finally come.

• Subscriber
12 minutes ago, Cicero said:
  Hide contents

I don't remember a butterfly but I remember him dying from gas. He had a happy expression on his dead face, almost as if he was glad the end had finally come.

He didn't die from gas. He was given time off because he swallowed some gas, and then returned to the front awaiting armistice which was about to come, where he was killed, as Gunnersaurus mentioned, reaching for a butterfly on a relatively quiet, almost peaceful day. The army report of that day read "All Quiet On the Western Front", giving the meaning to the novel/movie title. I heard they ignored this completely in the new movie by changing the ending, which makes me slightly worried.

• Subscriber
16 minutes ago, nudge said:
  Hide contents

He didn't die from gas. He was given time off because he swallowed some gas, and then returned to the front awaiting armistice which was about to come, where he was killed, as Gunnersaurus mentioned, reaching for a butterfly on a relatively quiet, almost peaceful day. The army report of that day read "All Quiet On the Western Front", giving the meaning to the novel/movie title. I heard they ignored this completely in the new movie by changing the ending, which makes me slightly worried.

That doesnt bode well at all for an adaptation xD maybe their taking their cue's from The Witcher "adaptation"

Even though its been years since I read it that was one of the defining memories that I still recall...

Anyways I still plan to watch at some point.

• Subscriber
Just now, Viva la FCB said:

That doesnt bode well at all for an adaptation xD maybe their taking their que's from The Witcher "adaptation"

I mean, I can still appreciate the effort as long as it's a good antiwar movie. But yeah, I don't get the need to make drastic changes compared to the source material. Mind you, I haven't seen the new movie yet, so can't comment, really...

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, nudge said:

I mean, I can still appreciate the effort as long as it's a good antiwar movie. But yeah, I don't get the need to make drastic changes compared to the source material. Mind you, I haven't seen the new movie yet, so can't comment, really...

I agree and as I say I still plan to watch it before I judge it but I dont like that right from the outlook xD

Going back and watching the original Blade Runner I think was an excellent change from the source material for example.. It can work. I thought the book was excellent but the ending left alot to be desired and the turn they took in the movie was alot better imo. Idk it just bothers me that something that iconic from the book is altered.. alright back to shouting at clouds.

4 hours ago, nudge said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Cheers. Been 13 years since I’ve read the book so my memory is a little foggy. 

I just remember the last paragraph of the book which very impactful and has stuck with me since. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Got around to watching it last night. A bit hit and miss. Effective movie overall and its definitely a depressing watch. The last 20-30 mins just didnt do it for me..ill expand dont read if you havent watched it. overall maybe a 7/10

The setup with them getting caught robbing from the farmer again is ok, how it goes down just is kind of ridiculous. The half a mile walk into the forest to take a piss? yeah okay sure, the creepy looking 8 year old catching up and sneaking up on him in the forest? yeah sure why not also dumb. Then the general guy sending them back out for one more offensive with 30 mins before the armistice and cease fire? yeah also dumb.

• 1 month later...

I thought some moments did well at showing a gritty and realistic-feeling example of trench life but there were some action scenes which just felt over the top to a degree which became cartoonish. 

Also, having the main villain being a moustachioed Prussian general sipping wine by the fireplace was a bit cliched.

Archived