talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Cardiff Sack Steve Morison

football forum

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very odd decision from us unless there's something else in the background I'm not aware of, as while results have not been good (we're 18th in the table at present), performances have improved considerably since the days of hoofball from Warnock and McCarthy. If our misfiring strikers figured out where the net was, things could have been completely different.

We're only 4 points off the playoffs as well, which makes it even more odd. 

At the same time though, he did seem to have a bit of arrogance about him and seem to blame everyone but himself for losses which might not have helped.

10 minutes ago, Gunnersaurus said:

@Bluebird Hewitt did he have that I've not been backed enough attitude?

I think as soon as you start to say the players I've got aren't good enough you soon loose your job 

We didn't spend a lot in terms of transfer fees. Between all 17 (I think. I lost count), we spent a total of just over £2m as the majority were free agents. As we got a lot of them fairly early on, he can't say too much that he wasn't backed, especially as he would have known that we weren't splashing huge amounts of cash while trimming the wage bill.

In terms of the players aren't good enough, he'd look like a tit if he says that as the majority of the starting 11 are his players. In the first game against Norwich, only Ng, Watters and Wintle were here before Morison took over, and the latter two were on loan when he became manager.

I imagine he's had a falling out with the hierarchy at the club. From what he's said he was given freedom to sign the players he wanted and as a character he doesn't appear the most approachable of people. There's enough quality in that squad that it's still an attractive job for an up and coming manager to build on where they finished last season.

• 3 months later...
  • Subscriber

Emiliano Sala: Cardiff City pay Nantes first instalment of transfer fee

Cardiff City have paid French club Nantes the first instalment of the transfer fee for striker Emiliano Sala, BBC Sport Wales has learned.

After making the payment, believed to be around £7m, Cardiff expect Fifa to lift the transfer embargo imposed on the club.

Cardiff have appealed to the EFL to lift a separate embargo so they can sign players in the January window.

Sala died in a plane crash over the English Channel in January 2019.

The Argentine player was travelling from France to join Cardiff, who were then in the Premier League.

A three-window embargo was imposed by Fifa, world football's governing body, because of Cardiff's refusal to pay the first tranche of the £15m transfer fee they had agreed with Nantes for Sala.

Cardiff lost their appeal against that ruling by Fifa. A three-man panel at the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) heard the appeal in Lausanne earlier this year.

The Bluebirds claimed they were not liable for any of the fee because Sala was not officially their player when he died at the age of 28.

Last month Cardiff chairman Mehmet Dalman confirmed the Championship club had received an invoice from Nantes for a first instalment of £5.3m. The payment they have made is more than that figure because of interest.

Dalman also said other legal discussions were in progress and were continuing.

Cardiff have appealed the CAS hearing verdict to a Swiss Federal Court while contention over the outcome continues.

The Swiss Federal Court is expected to give its verdict later this month or early in February.

They believe Fifa will now remove the original punishment of a three transfer window embargo for failure to pay the first instalment of the fee.

EFL transfer embargo rules differ from Fifa's, but it is understood Cardiff have appealed to the league to lift their sanction.

Cardiff are in 20th place in the Championship table, just two points above the relegation one.

Manager Mark Hudson has been told to get his targets in place while the club try to get clearance to make new signings.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64228188

I know we have a topic for Sala, but it's fairly old now.

We should have done this as soon as the CAS ruled against us (even before that) so that we could have at least been able to plan for this window. Instead, our bellends at the top decide to leave it until near the middle of the window when targets have possibly gone elsewhere or, in one case, been cancelled due to the embargo.

All this has done is add more debt on top of the original payment and make us worse off the pitch. Tan, Dalman and Choo can fuck off as they're dragging us down to League One.

• Subscriber

Emiliano Sala: EFL lifts Cardiff City transfer embargo

The English Football League has lifted the transfer embargo on Championship strugglers Cardiff City.

The move follows Cardiff paying the first instalment of the £15m transfer fee for striker Emiliano Sala, who died in a plane crash en route to joining the club in January 2019.

The Bluebirds are no longer on the EFL's list of embargoed clubs.

Global governing body Fifa has yet to confirm whether its separate embargo has also been lifted.

Fifa imposed a transfer embargo for three transfers windows following Cardiff's refusal to pay the first instalment of the fee they had agreed for Argentine striker Sala.

Cardiff had insisted Sala was not officially registered as their player.

They lost their appeal against that ruling by Fifa at the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) in Lausanne in 2022.

Legal discussions are still continuing with the club appealing to a Swiss Federal Court.

Following the CAS ruling, Cardiff received an invoice from Nantes for the first instalment of £5.3m of the fee.

BBC Wales Sport has learned Cardiff have this week paid a sum of approximately £7m to meet that demand and to cover interest.

The lifting of the EFL embargo is the first step in manager Mark Hudson being able to operate in the current January transfer window.

Cardiff are currently two places and two points above the Championship's relegation zone, and they are the lowest scorers in the division.

When the club first announced they were under an embargo, chairman Mehmet Dalman said Hudson had been told to "get his targets in place".

The transfer window closes on Tuesday, 31 January at 23:00 GMT.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64236759

• Subscriber

Cardiff City sack manager Mark Hudson

Struggling Cardiff City have sacked manager Mark Hudson after 13 months in charge of the Championship club.

The former Bluebirds captain was relieved of his role within hours of their 1-1 home draw against bottom club Wigan Athletic.

Cardiff are one place and three points above the relegation zone.

In a statement Cardiff thanked Hudson for his efforts, adding: "The club's search for a new permanent manager will begin immediately."

In the meantime Dean Whitehead will be interim manager while Tom Ramasut stays assistant manager with goalkeeping coach Graham Stack also remaining among the backroom staff.

Cardiff added: "The board of directors would like to place on record its thanks to Mark for all of his work as a player, coach and manager whilst with the Bluebirds.

"We wish Mark all the very best of luck for the future."

Cardiff are winless in nine games and the draw against Wigan underlined their struggles, having led through a Callum O'Dowda penalty until Will Keane's dramatic late equaliser.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64278574

Not surprising really as Hudson was poor, though they should have done this either during the World Cup or shortly after. Now we're looking for a new manager as well as strengthen a squad fighting off relegation.

Problem is, Tan, Dalman and Choo are so useless and shit that we'll likely have yet another yes man in the role, as there is no way in hell any self respecting manager will take this role.

I think Hudson was on a hiding to nothing.

Never should have been given the job but equally, never stood a chance. Can't bring in anyone, inherited a squad with so many changes in and out during the Summer, what can you do.

Hardly stacked with quality either.

Personally, the next person going in has to be prepared to accept there is a chance of relegation and League One this season because the threat is looming. The board also need to look at it as a job rebuild over 3 years. Cardiff may go down but they could rebuild and come back up in a better state than stagnating for three years in the league.

For that reason, I'd be looking at someone who plays good football and can be patient.

I see Warnock (LOL) is a front runner, that's just heart over head for me, no long term plan.

What I actually think they will get based on the profile they have gone for before is Danny Cowley And his brother, that would not shock me.

What I think they need though is someone like Ian Evatt at Bolton who likes to play an attacking style like he's shown with Barrow and Bolton, and can take charge of a rebuild.

14 minutes ago, Lucas said:

I think Hudson was on a hiding to nothing.

Never should have been given the job but equally, never stood a chance. Can't bring in anyone, inherited a squad with so many changes in and out during the Summer, what can you do.

Hardly stacked with quality either.

Personally, the next person going in has to be prepared to accept there is a chance of relegation and League One this season because the threat is looming. The board also need to look at it as a job rebuild over 3 years. Cardiff may go down but they could rebuild and come back up in a better state than stagnating for three years in the league.

For that reason, I'd be looking at someone who plays good football and can be patient.

I see Warnock (LOL) is a front runner, that's just heart over head for me, no long term plan.

What I actually think they will get based on the profile they have gone for before is Danny Cowley And his brother, that would not shock me.

What I think they need though is someone like Ian Evatt at Bolton who likes to play an attacking style like he's shown with Barrow and Bolton, and can take charge of a rebuild.

We won't get a manager that's already at a club. The likes of Slade, Trollope, Warnock, Harris and McCarthy were unattached, with Morison and Hudson as the U23 coach. We'll either go for someone without a club who's happy to be a yes man and suck the board's cock, Dean Whitehead (current interim manager) or our U23 coach (seeing as Morison and Hudson were the last two).

I honestly fear for our future if we get relegated. Cost cutting is fine, but we're in a mountain of shit. Tan is being poorly led by Dalman the liar while Choo is more interested in selling cars than sorting us out.

As for Warnock, no one can fault him for what he did, but at the same time, some of our problems have been due to him as well (players on stupid salaries, the McKay duo being part of our setup, stupid spending on players with no resale value etc).

18 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

We won't get a manager that's already at a club. The likes of Slade, Trollope, Warnock, Harris and McCarthy were unattached, with Morison and Hudson as the U23 coach. We'll either go for someone without a club who's happy to be a yes man and suck the board's cock, Dean Whitehead (current interim manager) or our U23 coach (seeing as Morison and Hudson were the last two).

I honestly fear for our future if we get relegated. Cost cutting is fine, but we're in a mountain of shit. Tan is being poorly led by Dalman the liar while Choo is more interested in selling cars than sorting us out.

As for Warnock, no one can fault him for what he did, but at the same time, some of our problems have been due to him as well (players on stupid salaries, the McKay duo being part of our setup, stupid spending on players with no resale value etc).

Of course. That's why I said I think you'll end up with someone like the Cowley brothers who are available and fit the profile of what you are abiut in recent times.

But what you need is that forward thinking progressive manager like Evatt to break this current cycle. Completely get the club are not in a privaliged position right now but there is still a pull to manage a club like Cardiff for that division I feel.

Warnock coming in (if it happens) is just desperation. 

27 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Of course. That's why I said I think you'll end up with someone like the Cowley brothers who are available and fit the profile of what you are abiut in recent times.

But what you need is that forward thinking progressive manager like Evatt to break this current cycle. Completely get the club are not in a privaliged position right now but there is still a pull to manage a club like Cardiff for that division I feel.

Warnock coming in (if it happens) is just desperation. 

I thought Cowley was at a club tbh. Still couldn't see him coming mind.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Cardiff City appoint third manager of season

e3da6885-faa5-4f9b-a696-beacbf86bdcc.png

Cardiff City have appointed former Nottingham Forest boss Sabri Lamouchi as their third manager of the season.

Lamouchi, 51, will be joined by ex-Bluebirds defender Sol Bamba, who will assist his former Ivory Coast national team manager.

Lamouchi's contract at the Cardiff City Stadium is understood to run until the end of the season.

Cardiff sacked Steve Morison in September while his successor Mark Hudson lasted just 118 days.

Dean Whitehead, who has been caretaker manager, will remain at the club as part of Lamouchi's backroom staff.

Lamouchi's remit will be to keep Cardiff in the Championship, with the Welsh club hovering just one place above the relegation zone in 21st position and without a win in 11 games in all competitions.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64415848

Archived