talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

League B - Group 1-4 Fixtures - 21-24th September, 2022

football forum

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well Scotland deservedly get the win that they needed and go top of the group as it finishes Scotland 2-1 Ireland. The first half was pretty balanced, but Scotland were much the better side in the 2nd half as they got into their stride and took the lead from being behind. Ireland took the lead in the first half through a snap shot from Egan, but goals from Hendry and Christie sealed the win for Scotland. Christie, McGinn, McGregor, Hickey and Hendry were excellent, while Fraser and Greg Taylor did really well when they came on as substitutes.

Scotland will be pleased with another deserved win, they had 61% possession, 14 shots and 9 corners against their Irish rivals. Their high pressing game does leave them vulnerable to dangerous counter attacks, as we saw from Ireland a couple of times. But this style of play allows Scotland to dominate and control most of the play. Their passing and attacking movement was excellent on many occasions today. 

McGinn won his 50th cap today and he will be delighted that Scotland have now won their 3rd match in a row. Scotland move top of the group with this win on 12 points, while Ukraine are 2nd on 10 points. Scotland will now travel to Krakow in Poland where they will face Ukraine in a key match which will decide who wins the group. A win or a draw will be enough for Scotland to win the group, while the Ukrainians have to win if they want to be victorious in this group and finish in 1st place.

• The topic was unpinned

Quite a nerve filled evening at Hampden last night. But Scotland probably just about deserved the win. But has come at the cost of losing two more full backs, and another energy sapping performance before the game in Poland on Tuesday. Having such a vocal away support brought a higher energy to the usual international matches.

Ireland seem to have figured out how to get to Scotland, pressing very high up the pitch and stopping Scotland from having much opportunities in the first half. Unable or unwilling to try and beat their man marker, the Scotland midfield left the defence under pressure and exposed at several times. Seems only Aaron Hickey, the youngest player in the team, had the though and talent to try and break through from his line and open up the game further. Too often the ball would just been being cycled through Tierney, McGregor and back to McKenna without anything progressive.

Billy Gilmour, at his best, was probably the ideal player for the midfield in this game, but his lack of playing time so far this season has probably cost him a start in any of these three matches. At a time when some rotation would be much sought after within this already stretched squad. Armstrong already looked off the pace in this game, and Scotland improved their attacking threat once Ryan Fraser was brought on. His pace and directness is something lacking within the rest of the team and hopefully can be put to use on Tuesday night.

Ireland look very dangerous on the counter attack, but too often their lack of real quality showed thoughout. With Troy Parrott the best example, blowing a huge chance just after Scotland had levelled. Their general play is tidy enough but can see why they may have troubled breaking down teams happy enough to sit back, and play them at their own counter attacking game plan.

A draw on Tuesday secures promotion to Nations League A, some glamour matches against Europe's elite teams and a guaranteed play off spot for the European Championships. The biggest game against Ukraine since June...

On 25/09/2022 at 11:19, ScoRoss said:

Quite a nerve filled evening at Hampden last night. But Scotland probably just about deserved the win. But has come at the cost of losing two more full backs, and another energy sapping performance before the game in Poland on Tuesday. Having such a vocal away support brought a higher energy to the usual international matches.

Ireland seem to have figured out how to get to Scotland, pressing very high up the pitch and stopping Scotland from having much opportunities in the first half. Unable or unwilling to try and beat their man marker, the Scotland midfield left the defence under pressure and exposed at several times. Seems only Aaron Hickey, the youngest player in the team, had the though and talent to try and break through from his line and open up the game further. Too often the ball would just been being cycled through Tierney, McGregor and back to McKenna without anything progressive.

Billy Gilmour, at his best, was probably the ideal player for the midfield in this game, but his lack of playing time so far this season has probably cost him a start in any of these three matches. At a time when some rotation would be much sought after within this already stretched squad. Armstrong already looked off the pace in this game, and Scotland improved their attacking threat once Ryan Fraser was brought on. His pace and directness is something lacking within the rest of the team and hopefully can be put to use on Tuesday night.

Ireland look very dangerous on the counter attack, but too often their lack of real quality showed thoughout. With Troy Parrott the best example, blowing a huge chance just after Scotland had levelled. Their general play is tidy enough but can see why they may have troubled breaking down teams happy enough to sit back, and play them at their own counter attacking game plan.

A draw on Tuesday secures promotion to Nations League A, some glamour matches against Europe's elite teams and a guaranteed play off spot for the European Championships. The biggest game against Ukraine since June...

I don't really agree as regards to Troy Parrott, I think he is a real talent and he combines well with Obafemi up front for Ireland. Sure Parrott missed that chance, but it was a good save by Gordon, you have to give the keeper his dues for coming out quickly and closing the angle down. The best of strikers miss chances, I've just watched the first half of the England v Germany match and seen plenty of missed chances. Also, remember in only the 10th minute of the Scotland v Ireland match, Parrott had the ball in the net with an exquisite finish after taking on several Scottish defenders and beating them, albeit the goal was ruled out for offside, but no one knew it was offside until the ball was in the back of the net. Parrott is a really skilled player and I think he's got a bright future ahead with the Irish national team and with Tottenham.

But I completely agree as regards to Billy Gilmour, he's one of Scotland's biggest talents. He was man of the match when Scotland played England at last summer's Euros and he's just a joy to watch. It's only because Scotland are blessed with so many talented midfielders that he hasn't started recently, even if he's not fit in well at Brighton. On his day, he's a class act. Hickey was indeed one of the most adventurous and determined Scottish players against Ireland. He's really become a real force for both Brentford and the Scottish national team. But McGregor is the player who seems the most consistent for Scotland, I've never really seen him have a bad game for Scotland. Even on the rare occasions he makes a few mistakes, he more than makes up for it with his energy and positive actions on the pitch. McGinn for me though remains the key man, his role as the link between the midfield and attack is crucial. He gets into so many great attacking positions and when he's in possession, he's able to keep hold of the ball and carry the ball very well. His nose for goal is also a key asset to this Scottish national team.

The strength and the physical nature of many of the Irish team players, makes them a very tough side to play against. I thought they outmuscled Scotland on several occasions when they met. But Scotland have more technically gifted players in my opinion, and I think that made the difference. Ryan Fraser and Greg Taylor really made an impact when they came on as well. Fraser's speed and great crossing ability in the end played a huge part in Scotland gaining the win. It was a deserved victory in the end, and it allowed Scotland to win their 3rd consecutive competitive international match. Clarke has a very talented Scottish squad at his disposal.

22 hours ago, Michael said:

I don't really agree as regards to Troy Parrott, I think he is a real talent and he combines well with Obafemi up front for Ireland. Sure Parrott missed that chance, but it was a good save by Gordon, you have to give the keeper his dues for coming out quickly and closing the angle down. The best of strikers miss chances, I've just watched the first half of the England v Germany match and seen plenty of missed chances. Also, remember in only the 10th minute of the Scotland v Ireland match, Parrott had the ball in the net with an exquisite finish after taking on several Scottish defenders and beating them, albeit the goal was ruled out for offside, but no one knew it was offside until the ball was in the back of the net. Parrott is a really skilled player and I think he's got a bright future ahead with the Irish national team and with Tottenham.

Was more a comment about their performance in the match, rather than them as players. They definitely looked more comfortable without the ball, playing on the counter, and were erratic and unable to maintain possession when Scotland pressed them high up the pitch in the second half.

Honestly, I can't say I'm familiar with most of Ireland's team these days. Seem to be more akin to Scotland about a decade ago with most of their players pulled from the English Championship.

Archived