talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Your top 10 sides at the World Cup

football forum

Doesn't have to be precise if you want to separate it into chunks...(can be more than 10 also...)

1. Brazil

2. Argentina

3. Spain

4. Portugal

5. Netherlands

6. Belgium

7. Croatia

8. Denmark

9. France

10. Uruguay

Difficult to take Nations League into account because it's not exactly a major tournament, but also difficult to discredit some of the results at the same time. Anyway that's my list for now :hh:

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
On 26/09/2022 at 21:42, Machado said:

Portugal

France

Brazil

Spain

England

Belgium

Argentina

Netherlands

Germany

Denmark

At the time I made this list, I was thinking we would have something like Leão - Jota - Bernardo in the attack but Jota is injured now and Ronaldo is likely to start every game, which makes us play with completely different dynamics. We already had a goal conversion problem, and without Jota we have no good finishers now.

I woudn't be surprised if we don't make it out of the groups.

18 hours ago, Beelzebub said:

Yes they are a good side, missed out on knock outs lasylt time bcz of the fair play rule. England took penalties to beat Colombia in KOs so Senegal is no less.

Senegal finished 2 points below Colombia in that group though. And that was a better Colombia side than now. We then went on to beat Sweden and then reach the European cup final. Senegal could beat us but we would be favourites. 

13 hours ago, Dan said:

I fancy Brazil. They've got a legitimately very good side now. Strong in every position.

There isn't a stand out European side at the moment so it might be Brazil or Argentina this time. I'd rather see Argentina win it as like to see Messi win the world cup 

Think it boils down to two really.

France, simply because they are defending champions, they have the experience of going the distance and could name three competitive XI's in this tournament. There is always the question will they self implode from within.

Brazil, because they have a lot of talent that are of the right age to win this now (it came too soon for them in Russia). I think there is finally a good balance to this Brazil side, solid defensively, dangerous in attack.

If the winner comes from outside of those two, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Of the others, Spain don't convert enough chances for me when it counts. 

Belgium don't have the defence, far too frail.

Argentina are still over reliant on Messi.

Germany are far too unpredictable and inconsistant.

Portugal's best chance seems to be shithousing their way through but i think it only gets them so far.

Holland start great and then always find a way to lose a winnable knockout game out of nowhere.

Croatia don't have the stamina to go the whole hog.

And we're far too cautious to go out and win a tournament despite having some of the best attacking talent. Rather than be so restricted, I'd rather we go for a shit or bust attitude, if we win games 3-2 great, if we lose them, so be it. But at least take teams on than bore our way to a quater/semi-final defeat.

14 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Think it boils down to two really.

France, simply because they are defending champions, they have the experience of going the distance and could name three competitive XI's in this tournament. There is always the question will they self implode from within.

Brazil, because they have a lot of talent that are of the right age to win this now (it came too soon for them in Russia). I think there is finally a good balance to this Brazil side, solid defensively, dangerous in attack.

If the winner comes from outside of those two, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Of the others, Spain don't convert enough chances for me when it counts. 

Belgium don't have the defence, far too frail.

Argentina are still over reliant on Messi.

Germany are far too unpredictable and inconsistant.

Portugal's best chance seems to be shithousing their way through but i think it only gets them so far.

Holland start great and then always find a way to lose a winnable knockout game out of nowhere.

Croatia don't have the stamina to go the whole hog.

And we're far too cautious to go out and win a tournament despite having some of the best attacking talent. Rather than be so restricted, I'd rather we go for a shit or bust attitude, if we win games 3-2 great, if we lose them, so be it. But at least take teams on than bore our way to a quater/semi-final defeat.

France are a weird one. Massively talented yet shown up by Croatia and Denmark in the Nations League. If they turn up then they're a problem.

15 minutes ago, Danny said:

France are a weird one. Massively talented yet shown up by Croatia and Denmark in the Nations League. If they turn up then they're a problem.

I judge purely on tournament football, wouldn't read anything into the nations league, not even the players care.

14 minutes ago, Lucas said:

I judge purely on tournament football, wouldn't read anything into the nations league, not even the players care.

That is fair and also literally said out loud by players at the end of last season.

2 hours ago, Gunnersaurus said:

Really?? Everything good in the world comes from there 

Peru*

I think a top 10 is hard, because the likes of Denmark and Croatia are incredibly overrated. I guarantee we will draw or lose by one goal to Denmark - now do they sound like a top 10 side? Rubbish. I'd even consider the likes of Ghana or Senegal on par with them. Possibly even an on form Japan or Iran.

Top 10

Brazil

France

Germany

Spain

Argentina

Netherlands

Uruguay

Belgium

Portugal

England 

No stand outs this time round for me.