• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Your top 10 sides at the World Cup

football forum

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it were the sides I especially enjoy watching:

Cameroon (sentimental feelings dating back to 1990)

Costa Rica (similar to above, but over more years)

Belgium, Croatia & France (lots of respect for these sides of recent times. The other semi finalists last time too)

Netherlands, Germany, Brazil & Argentina (the true classics)

And finally, it's England or Spain. Or Wales. Probably not Portugal.

• Administrator
7 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

South Korea or Senegal are the only 2 I think who can. MAYBE Qatar.

South Korea are heavily impacted if Son ends up missing the tournament. 

• 4 weeks later...

Top 10 sides from what I saw of the group games in order of who I think have looked the best and are still in it.

France

England

Spain

Brazil

Morocco

Argentina

Japan

Portugal

USA

Croatia

Morocco the biggest surprise for me. Can't say I knew a lot about them before this tournament but they look very well organised and decent going forward. The big support they have behind them has also spurred them on.

I would not be shocked if they beat Spain. 

Brazil odds on to get to the final, not the best football yet by squad strength and number of world class players are justifiably favourites. Thier main weakness for me is decent goal scorers at the top level.

Argentina play some fluid and good attractive football yet think they are too weak defensively.

France probably the strongest squad after Brazil and can play fluid football at times and are defensively stronger than say Agentina.

Spain, thought this tournament the youngsters would be driving them forward yet has not happened and instead relying on a more direct game with Morata. A decent side though not finalists for me.

Portugal, playing better than the last time tournament I saw them in. Can play fluid football yet squad strengthen may be an issue the longer we go into the tournament. If the matches go to as expected then we have the spectacle of a Iberian final with Spain vs Portugal Qtr. Portugal one of the masters of the dark arts versus Spain's younger possibly more naive side.

England, somewhat mercurial can look very ordinary yet also very strong in attack. Defensively one of the stronger sides.

Switzerland have done well in the group stage and only lost by one goal to Brazil, organised and work very hard.

Netherlands, well organised and functional so far without impressing. Can they achieve higher levels during the later stages or will other sides out score and outrun them. Lack of squad strength too.

Japan, group winners, well organised, work hard and have scored good goals though one key one with debatable VAR. I think too many many sides have underestimated them and this i sles slikley to happen in knockout football.

Australia, hard working and have a knack of scoring goals on the counter. To date have done this very well. Now we wait to see if they can do it at a higher level.

Archived