Most Hurtful Losses

football forum

• The title was changed to Most Hurtful Losses
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Nottm Forest 4-1 Leicester - FA Cup 2022
- As holders of the cup, to go out in such meek fashion was not just embarrassing, but a real sign of the times that things on the playing side weren't all there and really showed several fans (myself included) that time was up for Rodgers, or at least should have been. A humiliating loss at the expense of rivals, too. 

Leicester 0-1 Tottenham - 1999 League Cup Final 
- This hurt because it was my first time going to Wembley and it was probably the earliest time I had felt proper heartbreak at seeing my team lose. I'd been going to Leicester games for at least 2-3 years before that, but this is where it properly became real that this is what supporting a football club could be like. Made up for it a year after winning the trophy, but I still remember the feeling of despair as our side of Wembley fell hushed, as 40-45,000 Spurs fans at the other end were celebrating in jubilation. It probably hurt even more that it was in the last minute, too. 

Leicester 2-3 Tottenham - January 2022
- We truly and rightfully have now been given the bottlers tag. Ironically taking it away from the side that previously had it. After two successful attempts at bottling top 4 after having it sewn up for majority of the season, the above game took the absolute piss. What other side is 2-1 in the 5th minute of stoppage time, yet still ends up losing? Embarrassing and pathetic in equal measure. 

Manchester United *1-1 Chelsea - Champions League Final 2008

Will forever be number one. Was literally in our hands before Terry's infamous slip. 

Arsenal 2-0 Chelsea - FA Cup Final 2002

First cup final I remember where I genuinely felt gutted to have lost. Thought we were the better side and had to experience a Terry disasterclass.  

Manchester City 6-0 Chelsea - Premier League 2019

Most humiliated I've ever felt. 

85 Saarbrücken - Uerdingen 0-1 DFB -Pokal

Was the first time Saarbrücken reached the DFB Pokal Semifinals since the end of the 50's. I even had planed ( already had the train tickets) my weekend in Berlin. The goal in the last 20 minutes did hurt enourmously and still does.

2015 Würzburger Kickers - Saarbrücken 0-1 (1-1 on agg) 6-5 a pens 3.Liga Promotion Play-Offs

Losing on penalties is always harsh, still experiencing that after dominating the second leg without scoring enough to show for it and losing the first leg after being the better team for the most of the game really was hard to take.

Nov 2015 Hertha Wiesbach - Saarbrücken 2-1 (aet) Saarland pokal

We had lost a Saarland Pokal match against Wiesbach in the same year, but the season before already. Still losing for the second time versus a team 2 leagues below us and losing the chance to start in DFB Pokal in the process again did hurt more than the first time experience.

Chelsea 1 - 0 Villa FA Cup final 2000

I'd seen them win the league cup twice in the 90's. Finish runners up in the league twice. And heard all the stories of the time they'd won a title & European cup in the early 80's. This is still the closest they've been to an FA Cup win in my life.

Chelsea 8 - 0 Villa December 2012

Unavoidable & undeniable confirmation the once mighty Villa were nothing more than an expected 3 points to so many, in the modern era. The gulf that had developed since 2000 was slow & gradual, but astonishing.

Arsenal 4 - 0 Villa FA Cup final 2015

Season before relegation & just emphasized how above their actual level the club was having to play, to seem competitive. Benteke, Delph & a young Grealish had got past Liverpool in the semi. But when it went wrong, this kind of result was very much possible.

15 minutes ago, Reluctant Striker said:

Chelsea 1 - 0 Villa FA Cup final 2000

I'd seen them win the league cup twice in the 90's. Finish runners up in the league twice. And heard all the stories of the time they'd won a title & European cup in the early 80's. This is still the closest they've been to an FA Cup win in my life. & undeniable confirmation the once mighty Villa were nothing more than an expected 3 points to so many, in the modern era. The gulf that had developed since 2000 was slow & gradual, but astonishing.

I watched that in the pub in NZ with a CFC fan group there. I doubt they were all CFC fans yet more just liked football and CFC were the 'biggest' group they knew.

I recall having words with someone to stop a sole Villa fan being picked on, seemed so weird having to do that in NZ.

Losing to Sheffield Wednesday in the semis of the Rumbelows Cup (league)after beating Spurs in the Quarters. I went away as well, Wednesday and Carlton Palmer & co runaway with it.

Some big names from yesterday:

Wednesday, 27th February 1991 at 19:45Teams

Competition: Rumbelows Cup Semi-Final (Second Leg)

Venue:Hillsborough

Attendance:34,669

Referee:Roger G Milford (Bristol)

Sheffield WednesdayChris Turner, John Harkes, Philip King, Carlton Palmer, Peter Shirtliff, Nigel Pearson, Danny Wilson (Steve McCall 86), John Sheridan, David Hirst, Trevor Francis (Paul Williams 69), Nigel Worthington

Scorers Nigel Pearson 34, Danny Wilson 42, Paul Williams 88

Manager Ron Atkinson

Chelsea1 Dave Beasant, 2 Steve Clarke, 3 Tony Dorigo, 4 Andy Townsend, 5 Jason Cundy, 6 Ken Monkou, 7 Graham Stuart, 8 Alan Dickens, 9 Kerry Dixon, 10 Gordon Durie, 11 Dennis Wise

ScorerStuart 62

Subs Not Used12 Kevin McAllister, 14 David Lee

Manager Bobby Campbell

Werder Bremen 2-3 Bayern Munich DFB pokal 2019. 
2-0 down as expected, but then a sudden 2-2 comeback with 2 goals in 2 minutes. Then Coman goes down in the box, over nothing. Ref blows a pen, and I remember most of the players were distraught, but one of our players was pulling his team mates away from the ref to say "Nah dude it's fine VAR will review it" 

VAR did not review it
VAR should have reviewed it. And should have overturned it. The DFB said as much in their official apology. Fuck your apology we just lost a cup semi final. We had already dumped Dortmund from the competition. It was the most winnable Pokal in a decade. 

Spain 1-0 Germany. 2010 world cup.
The 2 best teams in the world, at least it wasn't the final.

South Korea 2-0 Germany. 2018 world cup. 
You can make the knockout stage of the world cup if you beat SK. You pick the same ineffective line up that got rolled by Mexico and needed a miracle late goal to beat Sweden. Timo "the worm" Werner jogs around the box for 90 minutes doing his specialty (fuck all), while geriatric Kroos plays at the speed of molasses, Kimmich at RB only knows how to pass the ball backwards to retain possession and your center back pairing has the speed and turning circle of a garbage tuck. 

For extra insult, soon after Werner is transferred to Chelsea, and the Chelsea fans sing to the heavens his praises, and decry you for calling him shit. They would come to learn though.  

1 minute ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

If I had a dollar for every pixel, I'd have 0.5 Yen

It is an SBS news clip on youtube that was uploaded in 2006 what the fuck do you want? I just picked it because the title is funny.

Spike’s pain - underdog playing in their second world cup ever loses against one of the world’s powerhouses in football because they cheated in 90+5 minute. Said powerhouse is full of legends of the sport but had to resort to a dive to beat a team made up of borderline Premier League players.I wouldn’t care half as much if France won the final but butthead Zidickhead had to act like an idiot.

DDW’s pain- second most successful nation of all time loses a game while they were reigning World Cup champs. 

I wish I could suffer that pain :’( 

#Cry4Spike
#Pray4Socceroos

8 hours ago, Cicero said:

Manchester United *1-1 Chelsea - Champions League Final 2008

Will forever be number one. Was literally in our hands before Terry's infamous slip. 

Arsenal 2-0 Chelsea - FA Cup Final 2002

First cup final I remember where I genuinely felt gutted to have lost. Thought we were the better side and had to experience a Terry disasterclass.  

Manchester City 6-0 Chelsea - Premier League 2019

Most humiliated I've ever felt. 

Surprised you didn't say Barcelona at the Bridge.

Even as a neutral I felt gutted for you that night with all the pens that never were and literally leading all game to the final kick from Iniesta that knocked you out.

1 minute ago, Lucas said:

Surprised you didn't say Barcelona at the Bridge.

Even as a neutral I felt gutted for you that night with all the pens that never were and literally leading all game to the final kick from Iniesta that knocked you out.

2012 rematch toned it down. 

2006 champions league final

1.0 loss to leeds in 1999 and 2.1 defeat to man utd in 1999 fa cup semi final. Those 2 were more because I was young.

For England the defeat to argentina in 1998 because it was my first tournament. Croatia in 2018. But the defeat to Italy was the worst because we were in the final 

15 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

For extra insult, soon after Werner is transferred to Chelsea, and the Chelsea fans sing to the heavens his praises, and decry you for calling him shit. They would come to learn though.  

We sure did. :ph34r:

0_Werner.jpg

Archived