Most Hurtful Losses

football forum

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Cicero said:

We sure did. :ph34r:

0_Werner.jpg

Shite argument and always has been. And you know it too. 
Mikel was man of the match in your 2012 CL win. Want him back at the club? How about Bosingwa? Fuck, Ryan Bertrand still plays right? Better snap him up for 50 mil too. 

He scored a goal less than every 5 games. His passing was atrocious. His dribbling was atrocious. His confidence and finishing were atrocious. You used to complain when he started games once you'd realized the mistake. 
But sure, he's a legend because you happened to win a cup final that you didn't deserve to while he was in the starting 11. Jog on. Preferably all the way off a cliff into the ocean. Oh that's right, you have no fucking ocean because Croatia coast cucked you. 

47 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA my rage has blinded me.

Ol mate reckons he hit it for a six but was playing bowls the whole time.

47 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Something something, Italy were so shit in ww2 they single handedly cost the axis victory with their fuck ups something something

That's an insult right? 

Only if you wanted the Axis to win.

50 minutes ago, Spike said:

In all fairness I thought Timo Werner would succeed at Chelsea, not because of his quality but merely because a bunch of pacy idiots have scored plenty of goals in England before.

I saw his finishing week in and out, it was horrid. But I was met with a response of "Oh so you're saying he should score EVEN MORE goals?"

2 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

I saw his finishing week in and out, it was horrid. But I was met with a response of "Oh so you're saying he should score EVEN MORE goals?"

I figured if Darren Bent and Gabriel Agbonlahor could do it, so could Werner. 

6 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Bent is easily and effortlessly a better player. 

Werner is right up there with Kevin Doyle as a prem striker. 

German league must have some dumbfuck defensive coaching if they can’t stop Timo smacking in 27 goals 

12 minutes ago, Spike said:

German league must have some dumbfuck defensive coaching if they can’t stop Timo smacking in 27 goals 

It's a mix of a bunch of things. In germany almost every team plays kloppball. gegenpress with a high line. The RB team he was scoring so many goals in was arguably the best at beating that system. They were RAPID on the counter, with outrageously good ball playing midfielders like Sabitzer and Forsberg, and ball playing center backs, the whole shebang. The other striker, Poulsen, was like Heskey to Werners Owen. A huge, pacey donkey who could also chase balls over the top, but could feed Werner knock downs too. It was a fantastic system, designed to score goals with Werner finishing counter attacking moves, Poulsen finishing more regular chances from crosses and build up play, and Forsberg and Sabitzer as goal scoring midfielders who could  bomb it in from the edge of the box. 

2 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

It's a mix of a bunch of things. In germany almost every team plays kloppball. gegenpress with a high line. The RB team he was scoring so many goals in was arguably the best at beating that system. They were RAPID on the counter, with outrageously good ball playing midfielders like Sabitzer and Forsberg, and ball playing center backs, the whole shebang. The other striker, Poulsen, was like Heskey to Werners Owen. A huge, pacey donkey who could also chase balls over the top, but could feed Werner knock downs too. It was a fantastic system, designed to score goals with Werner finishing counter attacking moves, Poulsen finishing more regular chances from crosses and build up play, and Forsberg and Sabitzer as goal scoring midfielders who could  bomb it in from the edge of the box. 

I've watched clips of Werner and I remember saying that the majority of his goals come from him sprinting inwards from the left channel. Almost astonishing how similar the majority of his goals are. So he obviously has a specific skillset but one that can't really be utilised outside of particular parametres.

4 minutes ago, Spike said:

I've watched clips of Werner and I remember saying that the majority of his goals come from him sprinting inwards from the left channel. Almost astonishing how similar the majority of his goals are. So he obviously has a specific skillset but one that can't really be utilised outside of particular parametres.

Exactly. Hence him being garbage for germany or any other system. Watching him start every game, and just flounder around up front like an actual amateur player, literally Ali Dia style. Just lost and 100% ineffective. Kills me.

- Being relegated in 2005

It wasn't even the relegation that hurt. For a bit of background Charlton Athletic were content on starting a rivalry with us because Gillingham and Brighton were not at the time likely to play either of us any time soon. We drew 1-1 to them after we conceded a silly free kick with twenty minutes to go. After the game there fans did a konga line and sang to the chant of "Is this the way to Amarillo?" "Sha la la la la la la... we sent the Palace down". Being fourteen at the time that got under my skin and I swore to that day the next time we beat them i'd be there.

As karma had it, four seasons later they were getting relegated from The Championship after a fiasco where they stole our manager that sent them on a downward spiral and we got the pleasure of singing "sha la la la la la la.... Who the fuck is laughing now?!?" ... and twelve years later we've been laughing ever since.

- Losing the FA Cup Final

It was an emotional weekend. I had to cut a weekend in Prague short to get back for it which cost far more than it should. I had £200 stolen from our room and then lost £100+ the night out before the final. I got back in time and when we went 1-0 up the euphoria I felt was incredible. I got crowd surfed in a drunken state as I looked up and saw the Wembley arch shaking. Then Man United eaqulised about a minute later and the rest is history. What annoyed me was a lot of Manchester United fans left before they lifted the trophy. They knew Van Gaal was on his way out and they didn't care about the result whilst to us that match was everything. We waited 25 years for that moment and we may have to wait another 25 years for another chance again.

- Losing to Plymouth on a Tuesday night

This is a slightly random one but it's the third one that instantly popped in my head. It was mid October on a Tuesday night. I was sixteen years old and Peter Taylor was manager. I cannot put in to words how boring and dour the football was under Peter Taylor. It was cold, it was windy, it was raining heavily, I was wearing a skinny Topman jumper and Converses and we lost 1-0 in the worst game of football I have ever seen. I went home that night and it was the first time I asked myself: "What's the point?". Thankfully Peter Taylor was sacked in less than a week and Neil Warnock restored any doubt I had for thinking this is the best sport in the world.

Archived