talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

UK Politics & Brexit Discussion

football forum

17 minutes ago, Inverted said:

Apparently they've been working with a consultancy in Washington and will be targeting marginals in the next election, rather than try their luck fighting to keep the safe seats the Labour Party provided to them to allow them to establish their careers. 

The centre being the usual bastion of moral fortitude as they have been for the last hundred years. 

I can't see how Berger can go on in Wavertree, the area is massively pro-Corbyn and pro-Labour, she's just showed utter contempt for the local people who helped her achieve the most votes she ever has had in 2017. There will be chaos if she attempts to represent them in parliament.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Looks increasingly like Umunna et al will split off. The man himself is an incorrigible snob and it's barely plausible that he would have existed within the Labour party before Blair essentially destroyed the very premise of the Labour party. It's scandalous that a by election is not automatically triggered, they have used the Labour banner to further their career and gain a large salary.

I find that bizarre.

53 minutes ago, Stan said:

Not even a day in to their existence and they're already having to apologise for this ffs 

Unreal. 

Leave the Labour party due to racism.

Have 1 in 7 of your MPs make racist statements.

There is only one solution: there must be a new splinter group to reject the original splinter group's descent into racism.

• Administrator
21 minutes ago, Inverted said:

Leave the Labour party due to racism.

Have 1 in 7 of your MPs make racist statements.

There is only one solution: there must be a new splinter group to reject the original splinter group's descent into racism.

The independent independent group. 

What an utter mess this has become. Just over a month and a half before the leave date and the two biggest parties are in complete turmoil, knifing and shitting on each other at any given chance. 

I bet Owen 'The Opportunist' Smith will try his luck again at some point, especially after mentioning about people leaving Labour last week. 

Tbh I've given up now, the breathtaking cynicism and dishonesty at the heart of our politics is too embedded to get rid of. Whatever you think of Corbyn there is something fundamentally wrong about the way these politicians have used Labour funds, people, money to get themselves their largest ever vote and then refuse to relinquish their seat they won because of it, despite supposedly quitting on 'Principle'. They have a fundamental problem with democracy; Didn't like the Leadership vote, so agitated for his removal and then quit. Didn't like the referendum result, campaign for another one etc etc.

I think I despise Chuka Umunna more than any other person in politics, it's his brand of no substance politics which has got this country in such a state. Blair, Cameron were from the same mould. This country is doomed. I'm just going to sit back and laugh at it as much as I can.

Edited by The Artful Dodger

I actually had an interview today for a large hotel company. They are gonna have a massive issue with supplys when we leave. Brexit could bankrupt the company. Brexiters keep insisting brexit is good for the the country but it can bring down multi million pound companies. Shorly small businesses will go bankrupt as well

1 hour ago, Harry said:

What do you guys think will transpire in the weeks and months ahead? Will Brexit be reversed or will it be a hard exit, a last minute deal or a delay? 

I think it will be a no deal. I think there will be a recession. Hopefully it doesn't get to bad but there are tough times ahead I think. 

11 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I actually had an interview today for a large hotel company. They are gonna have a massive issue with supplys when we leave. Brexit could bankrupt the company. Brexiters keep insisting brexit is good for the the country but it can bring down multi million pound companies. Shorly small businesses will go bankrupt as well

Not to sound like a dick but that looks like a contradiction there. If there is a chance that they could go bankrupt when we leave, why are they hiring new staff (ie. adding to costs)? 

As for the small businesses (and in general for that matter), it will depend on how they adapt to market changes. If you don't adapt, you get left behind and struggle (you only need to look at the recent bigger retail stores to see that). 

7 hours ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Not to sound like a dick but that looks like a contradiction there. If there is a chance that they could go bankrupt when we leave, why are they hiring new staff (ie. adding to costs)? 

As for the small businesses (and in general for that matter), it will depend on how they adapt to market changes. If you don't adapt, you get left behind and struggle (you only need to look at the recent bigger retail stores to see that). 

Well they still need staff. The main issue is with supplys. Alot of the food produce come from the EU, and probably a lot of the cleaning produce. Changing all the menus will cost thousands of pounds. To put it in a prospective I worked in a hotel once which changed their restaurant and it cost 30 grand. That was just one restaurant.

3 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Well they still need staff. The main issue is with supplys. Alot of the food produce come from the EU, and probably a lot of the cleaning produce. Changing all the menus will cost thousands of pounds. To put it in a prospective I worked in a hotel once which changed their restaurant and it cost 30 grand. That was just one restaurant.

Yeah, my reply (regarding staffing) was me waking up, looking at the post and not thinking 100%. 

52 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Yeah, my reply (regarding staffing) was me waking up, looking at the post and not thinking 100%. 

Don't I don't think 100% at any time xD

So Corbyn has pretty much backed a second referendum, I imagine he's been badgered into this by Watson et al. I'm in two minds, I'm not keen on a second referendum, firstly because I dislike the principle of referendums at all and secondly I'm not sure it will do any good at all. A slight victory for Remain is as good as it can get for them, and then what? How can that be used a decisive? On the other hand May has backed this country into such an awful position that I'm at a loss to what we can do now, I was hopefuly for some sort of Norway style agreement but that's not going to happen.

Another positive is that will possibly destroy the 'TIG' and Umunna.

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

So Corbyn has pretty much backed a second referendum, I imagine he's been badgered into this by Watson et al. I'm in two minds, I'm not keen on a second referendum, firstly because I dislike the principle of referendums at all and secondly I'm not sure it will do any good at all. A slight victory for Remain is as good as it can get for them, and then what? How can that be used a decisive? On the other hand May has backed this country into such an awful position that I'm at a loss to what we can do now, I was hopefuly for some sort of Norway style agreement but that's not going to happen.

For ages I've wanted a 2nd referendum but that was up to a while ago, where I think it would have had much more traction and effect. I feel it's far too late now and I'm not sure if it's some kind of tactic to leave it this late to back one; I don't see the logic in it anyway. 

It'd have to be a significantly higher victory than Leave had in 2016 for it to hold any weight. 

And as I genuinely don't know the answers - will a 2nd referendum even work? Is it possible to have Article 50 postponed while the vote happens and then ultimately revoked if there's a big Remain victory?

I get the feeling there's a lot of apathy in the country now and people just really want to get Brexit over and done with. 

1 hour ago, The Artful Dodger said:

I'm also not keen on a second referendum for the same reasons. I thought the first referendum was stupid and a bad idea for the electorate to make a decision on - and ultimately if the result goes against the original referendum's results... it only really highlights that referendums are stupid.

But like you say, what other choices do we have. The EU's saying they're not going to renegotiate a new deal - so there's the May deal that pretty much nobody likes. We could go with that... but nobody likes it. We can delay Article 50 and postpone Brexit, but if the EU is truly not going to negotiate a new deal... that gives us a choice between no deal or the May deal. So that's putting us back in the same position, but only delaying the chance for this to be finally resolved. The third option is parliament withdrawing Article 50 and just ending Brexit... but it's unlikely MPs will do that, because they don't want to deal with the yOu ArE sUbVeRtInG dEmOcRaCy crowd  

A second referendum is the best of 4 bad positions our government can take imo.

• Subscriber

A second referendum is a good get out but does set a dangerous precedent for all future votes of any sort of similar nature.

Personally I think the best thing for the country could be to go ahead with a no deal Brexit and suffer like fuck for a few years. Right now we have a calamitous government who stumble from one failure to the next, an opposition party with a leader who did a decent job during the snap election but is in many ways unelectable as a prime minister, and a clueless electorate who are stupid enough to vote based on sentiment and which politicians they find the most charismatic than any logic or feasible reasoning.

We're so far down this road now that we deserve what we get. Just have to hope some of the idiots learn something along the way and wise up a bit.

Edited by RandoEFC

• The title was changed to UK Politics & Brexit Discussion
  • The topic was pinned