talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

UK Politics & Brexit Discussion

football forum

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Stan said:

Priti Patel and Nadine Dorries can fuck right off. Stain on politics they are for what they say and who they choose to back. 

Priti Patel literally said on national television people should ring the police and snitch on their neighbours if they were having gatherings in their back garden and here she is, out to bat for Johnson over this. You couldn't write it.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Said it countless times, how is he still in a job? I’m just surprised there isn’t massive protests about this. If we were French, London would be burnt to the ground. 

I couldn’t imagine how angry I’d feel had we not continued visiting my Mrs’ Dad in his final months. As a caveat to that, we weren’t even going outside for months on end so we felt safe to see him. 

The problem with us English is that we aren't French. The idea of looking out for each other is pretty alien to English culture. 

One thing I will grant about this government compared to its predecessors, it its absolute intellectual mediocrity.

Johnson himself is all public school bluff. Then Raab, Patel and Dorries* must be some of the most stupid cabinet ministers ever.

*I know she's the sports minister, so has all the kudos of a milk monitor but still.

39 minutes ago, RondónEFC said:

Priti Patel literally said on national television people should ring the police and snitch on their neighbours if they were having gatherings in their back garden and here she is, out to bat for Johnson over this. You couldn't write it.

Tbf to her, she's not someone who really believes in accountability of officials for getting caught breaking rules after the fact considering her past. So her doing this fits in with her standard of ethics.

But really we should be demanding a much higher ethical standard from all of our elected officials.

• Administrator

Just seen that Downing Street staff at No. 10 partied the night before the Queen mourned her husband's death, which was also at a time the restrictions banned indoor gatherings. 

They really do have no shame. Utterly despicable. 

• Subscriber

The Conservative party truly must be full of morons. They keep telling themselves "this is the last one" when it's been obvious since these leaks started getting drip-fed to the press in November that whoever has it in for them (probably multiple people by now) is sacking them into the trap of thinking they have a chance to get away with it, letting them fight amongst themselves and then dropping the next one when it looks like they've survived. Kudos because this is far more damaging to the government and the Tories then just revealing it all at once and like I said, they're too stupid to stop walking into the trap. I expect it from the ministers, most of whom know they'll never get a sniff of government again under any other PM but eventually the back benchers will surely wake up and smell the coffee. Wouldn't mind see them eat themselves alive for a little bit longer first though.

• Administrator
57 minutes ago, RondónEFC said:

The Conservative party truly must be full of morons. They keep telling themselves "this is the last one" when it's been obvious since these leaks started getting drip-fed to the press in November that whoever has it in for them (probably multiple people by now) is sacking them into the trap of thinking they have a chance to get away with it, letting them fight amongst themselves and then dropping the next one when it looks like they've survived. Kudos because this is far more damaging to the government and the Tories then just revealing it all at once and like I said, they're too stupid to stop walking into the trap. I expect it from the ministers, most of whom know they'll never get a sniff of government again under any other PM but eventually the back benchers will surely wake up and smell the coffee. Wouldn't mind see them eat themselves alive for a little bit longer first though.

Glad the leaks are being drip-fed. 

Even when Boris goes, hope they keep coming. Can't let them get away with it just because someone else is 'leading' the country... 

• Subscriber

Lab 14 points ahead on this poll. I genuinely don't understand why Tory MPs aren't falling over each other trying to be the first ones to publicly distance themselves from this government. Goes to show how much they actually fancy Sunak and Truss in part.

Again, I'm happy for it to continue. Every time they try to back Mr Blobby again only for another story to be leaked, they make it just a bit more likely that the next government might actually not be a Tory majority, and makes it harder for them to just recycle another leader, do another rebrand and contest the next election as "we're not like the last Tories" yet again.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RondónEFC said:

Lab 14 points ahead on this poll. I genuinely don't understand why Tory MPs aren't falling over each other trying to be the first ones to publicly distance themselves from this government. Goes to show how much they actually fancy Sunak and Truss in part.

Again, I'm happy for it to continue. Every time they try to back Mr Blobby again only for another story to be leaked, they make it just a bit more likely that the next government might actually not be a Tory majority, and makes it harder for them to just recycle another leader, do another rebrand and contest the next election as "we're not like the last Tories" yet again.

My only fear is that the short memories of the electorate mean it won't matter if it's harder for Tories to do a rebrand and claim they're not like the other silly cunts that have spent the last decade taking the country and running into the ground... and it'll still work and get them elected. All it takes is the media pulling another "Miliband eats sandwiches like a weirdo" or "Corbyn hates Jews" or some other bullshit and that'll dominate any future election and probably help Tories out a lot.

I still don't understand how the Miliband eating like a weirdo was so effective, mind you.

• Subscriber
44 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

My only fear is that the short memories of the electorate mean it won't matter if it's harder for Tories to do a rebrand and claim they're not like the other silly cunts that have spent the last decade taking the country and running into the ground... and it'll still work and get them elected. All it takes is the media pulling another "Miliband eats sandwiches like a weirdo" or "Corbyn hates Jews" or some other bullshit and that'll dominate any future election and probably help Tories out a lot.

I still don't understand how the Miliband eating like a weirdo was so effective, mind you.

I wasn't really paying attention in the Milliband days but the bacon sandwich thing definitely gets talked about in the folklore of the ongoing incestuous relationship between the Tory elite and the media elite.

That's what I mean though on the short memories thing. If all of this had come out at once they could have just sacked Boris Johnson off and had a relatively clean slate to some extent. When he had to admit he was at one of the parties (we all already knew anyway), that was their last chance to feign ignorance and turn on him but they haven't. Every day that passes now, that hole they're digging gets a little bit deeper. It's glorious because whoever started leaking this stuff has always kept just enough back to let them think they could ride it out, but now the stuff keeps coming and they're in too deep. 

It's none of my business as a German. But let's see whether I comprehended what's going on. Your conservative government voted against school meals for deprived children, executed nepotism on several ocassions, had that final school exam disaster last year or the year before, only reluctantly gave NHS employees a pay rise for their hard work during the pandemic, and closed the schools during it endangering the education of the most part of pupils while doing so. Yet, the scandal talked about most is they had parties, while you weren't allowed to have your own? Is that correct? If so your priorities of British society are remarkable.

47 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

It's none of my business as a German. But let's see whether I comprehended what's going on. Your conservative government voted against school meals for deprived children, executed nepotism on several ocassions, had that final school exam disaster last year or the year before, only reluctantly gave NHS employees a pay rise for their hard work during the pandemic, and closed the schools during it endangering the education of the most part of pupils while doing so. Yet, the scandal talked about most is they had parties, while you weren't allowed to have your own? Is that correct? If so your priorities of British society are remarkable.

And all that is just 

See the source image

46 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

I think there was outrage at all those things you mention at the time. The outrage over the Downing Street parties is because while they were happening people couldn't even go and visit dying loved ones, not because they couldn't have a party of their own.

Unfortunately the stories about the parties are also helping this bill that criminalises protests go through without barely a mention in the mainstream media.

• Upvote 2

These parties certainly aren’t the worst thing this govt has done whilst in power, certainly not the worst thing the Tories have done since Cameron and May, but definitely the thing that has united the entire country which is a bit sad it’s taken this long but it’s something.

Equating it to British people wanting to party when people have literally had loved ones die alone and had to watch zoom funerals is quite frankly really fucking stupid.