talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

UK Politics & Brexit Discussion

football forum

That running count of resignations is just those with official posts to resign from. My local MP has no such role & had tweeted his support just before the VONC. He has now posted a letter that he sadly & reluctantly could no longer support him.

It really does seem unavoidable that Boris is going out kicking & screaming soon as Tories change their own rules to push him out the door.

BBC News should be captivating viewing over the week ahead.

Boris Johnson faces a delegation of Cabinet ministers at Downing Street telling him to quit tonight. It comes as the number of MPs who've resigned hits 32.

Boris Johnson

Transport Secretary Grant Shapps, who was key to the Prime Minister's fight for survival during partygate, is among those who will demand he quits, sources told the PA news agency. Long-standing ally Brandon Lewis, who believes Mr Johnson's position is "now untenable", was understood to be part of the group, as was Welsh Secretary Simon Hart.

Reports even suggested Nadhim Zahawi, who was only appointed Chancellor on Tuesday, will join the group. The Prime Minister, appearing at the Commons Liaison Committee, was told that there was a delegation of Cabinet Ministers of waiting for him at Downing Street to tell him to quit.

It should be hilarious but it's actually really, really sad. People's lives have and are being ruined because of this excuse for a government.

I'm not into politics at all, but even I'm sick to my stomach at the state of affairs in this country.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
42 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

Gove is nearly as bad though isn't he.

I have no time for anyone who's enabled Johnson by serving in his government and Gove has proven to be especially slimy in the past. None of them are really close to being as bad as Johnson himself though.

What I'm laughing at is the fact that Bubbles thinks he's in a position to be sacking anyone who hasn't resigned when he already has 40 vacancies to fill.

It's been evident for some time the culture in politics has to change. Its just scandal after scandal to the point where its just impossible to keep up with everything that's happened and you end up forgetting about what happened last month. 

That said having The Chancellor resign at a time when cost of living is out of control and The Health Secrety resigning at a time when the NHS is in crisis is deeply concerning. Ignoring the scandal with his wife, Rishi Sunak appeared to be one of the more competent people on Johnson's team and I was impressed with how Javid handled his short spell as The Home Secretary given how scrutinised that role inparticular is.

Michael Gove's previous actions suggest he's a giant snake himself but chopping him off at the head now seems like one final roll of the dice. Albeit it feels like all his actions since Partygate feel like one roll of the dice but his sheer arrogance prevents him from stepping aside.

• Subscriber

Nadhim Zahawi, just 36 hours after being appointed Chancellor by Boris Johnson, has now publicly called for him to step down despite not resigning himself. Michelle Donelan, whoever she is, who replaced Zahawi as Education Secretary 36 hours ago has actually resigned.

The Education Secretary thing hits me because that's my sector but it will be the same for workers across many other areas. Seeing these offices reduced to transfer deadline day political footballs (they're close enough to that in the first place) like this really shouldn't be allowed to happen. Education could do with some actual governance. I read something the other day Donelan is the 8th Education Secretary in 5 years or something and she's now gone after less than 2 days and there are no junior ministers left in the department. We basically have no government right now simply because Boris Johnson is being a spoiled man baby and refusing to go to bed when Nanny tells him.

In a way, it's almost better the longer he drags this on because people might realise that no matter how "funny" or "something different" these posh boys from Eton manage to come across, at their core, they've been given the same upbringing that produces the same entitled man babies who see politics as just another game of how much they can use their privilege and education to see what they can get away with, and enter politics because they were "born to rule". At least with the state-school educated politicians, there's a chance they come into that career with the best of intentions before realising that "playing the game" is the only way to achieve anything meaningful and becoming corrupted.

All these pearl-clutching Tories right now shouldn't expect to get a fair hearing after this either. Enough people told the world what Boris Johnson was in 2019 and some have been doing so for many years before that. They've all served under his leadership, voted for his policies, publicly defended him for the last 3 years. Anyone who has held the Conservative whip in that time is culpable for propping him up this long. Now they're upset that he won't fuck off when they want him too. And they only want him to because he's become harmful to their career and their potential to keep their jobs at the next election. Cry me a fucking river.

Johnson is about a month short of Theresa May in terms of how long he's served as Prime Minister. It would be absolutely sweet as fuck if he was gone before he overtook her and it looks increasingly likely. 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
32 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Johnson is about a month short of Theresa May in terms of how long he's served as Prime Minister. It would be absolutely sweet as fuck if he was gone before he overtook her and it looks increasingly likely. 

Johnson now trying to get around this by saying he'll remain as caretaker leader until Autumn when the new leadership contest is concluded. Tory MPs not having it and want him out today. Presumably that would result in Raab as Deputy PM being the obvious choice to keep the seat warm until someone is elected. 

British politics is just mad. The last Prime Minister we've had who has actually won power outright in a general election, you know the normal channel, is Tony Blair in 1997. Gordon Brown took over mid-term and lost, David Cameron sort of won but still had to enter a coalition to form a government, he then won a majority but lost the referendum so Theresa May took over mid-term, called a snap election and lost her majority, so Boris Johnson won mid-term, won a majority, then he was Boris Johnson so someone else will be taking over mid-term.

It won't happen but it really feels like the Tories should choose their next leader, then we should have a general election within three months.

53 minutes ago, Stan said:

He's going! Woooo! Will go down as one of the worst ever. 

Just read a few Facebook comments before. People saying he's the best PM of their lifetime etc. xD

• Administrator
33 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Just read a few Facebook comments before. People saying he's the best PM of their lifetime etc. xD

They're deluded as fuck and probably worth De-friend ing :ph34r:.

There won't be a sea of change in how this country is governed under rotten Tories but nonetheless its still great to eventually see the back of him and his corrupt cronies that he latches on to. 

Seriously can't wait til the likes of Dorries, Raab, Truss, Patel etc are fucked off for life. 

11 minutes ago, Stan said:

They're deluded as fuck and probably worth De-friend ing :ph34r:.

There won't be a sea of change in how this country is governed under rotten Tories but nonetheless its still great to eventually see the back of him and his corrupt cronies that he latches on to. 

Seriously can't wait til the likes of Dorries, Raab, Truss, Patel etc are fucked off for life. 

You would struggle to find a more condescending person anywhere. Massive arsehole

Starmer pledging to block a referendum for Scottish Independence. I do feel for the Scotland in that one of the key elements of the last referendum was that we'd still be in the EU, can see why they'd want to do it again especially after this mess.

With that said I don't trust Sturgeon one bit and once the opposition of Westminster is taken out of the equation in Scottish politics I don't think Scotland as a country will drastically improve in the way pro-independence politicians make out that it will.

Scotland is a mostly Liberal country yes, but given time they will have their own conservative style governments come in and that will change the political landscape there drastically. Especially considering over 50% of Scots wanted to stay in the Union last time, as we've seen with Brexit it doesn't take long for people to change their mind after drastic change.

• Upvote 1